• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Had to join the AR club

Powerman

To my knowledge, only Colt, LWRCi, AXTS, SI-Defense, Aero Precision (with PDQ lever) and S.W.O.R.D. International make an ambidextrous bolt CATCH. Each company has a different version or variation, and many are only offered on certain models. I think RRA has a version too, but not 100% if it has a catch feature or just a release.

Oh, not true, my brother.  The Smith & Wesson M&P10 also has an ambi bolt catch and bolt release, which interferes with triggers.  The only owner that we've seen that has an issue with this was WAY to pompous to even give a pic of that interference, though.

How quickly you forget, Rob...  <dontknow> :bat:

I got my parts from Mega today and got that finished. Over all, I'm really happy with the full ambi build. I switched to HK for the same reason. Now all my stuff is full ambi. Don't really care about the "full" part, just like being able to use a gun the way it was intended for right handers.

Over all... the bolt catch for me is in easy reach of my trigger finger. The bolt release is a bit of a reach. I have to shift my grip to get there. Now the ambi bolt release for right handers... it's perfect. Right next to the mag release in easy reach of trigger finger. Easy for me to get to if my right hand was on the front of the lower.

The Troy ambi mag release is very nice. Within easy reach of trigger finger. Just not as close as the standard on the other side for righties. Operates very easy. Of course the safety is the same for both.

Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow.

The 308 was super cool, but that was just plain fun.

DSCN0551_zpsrkwrdpsl.jpg

That was at 50 yds after I got the sights dialed in at 25. I'll zero for 50. I've always had a scope, and it didn't dawn on me till I got to the range that I have no glass. So I had to take a few shots at the aimpoint target and then dork around till I could check my shots. 240 flawless rounds. As it should be. I had to break in the LR308, then I had a weak extractor spring that led me on a wild goose chase. Learned a lot, but took a while till I considered it reliable.

Love the PRO. Not much experience, but I'm glad I got a 2 MOA dot. Plenty of dot, but it does take up space at long distance. Yes I know it isn't for precision work. But ya, tiny dot, bullet hits dot. Sweet. Plenty bright in direct sunlight. It was easy to get sighted in. Of course now my flip ups co-witness perfect. Just didn't know which one to move before.

So the JP silent capture spring... uhhh, ya.... it's silent. As in... silent. Through the rifle, all you hear is a tiny ping from the bolt slamming home. The only way you know you just fired the last round is that you don't hear the tiny ping. Smooth as glass. I'm not saying it's a huge problem that needed fixing... but damn, it's smooth.

I asked if I could shoot a couple rounds out of a guys Bushmaster just for comparison. SPROINGGGG! Ya, cheese grater. The only thing stopping everyone from having one is the price. If it was say twice the price of a regular spring and buffer, everyone would run them. But at 3x, it's a bitter pill to swallow. But I'm sold. Perfect addition to this build.

The key mod ran plenty cool. It's not like I got the barrel glowing, but the guard was nice. Mostly cheap Tulammo. Couple mags of PMC to break it in. Ran it wetter than normal, but nothing like I had to do for my 308. Not a bobble. Brass was at 4 o'clock about 10 feet away in a little pile all day.

In case it isn't obvious... I REALLY love this rifle. The midlength is a BB gun compared to what I had. I think I need to make a 6.8 happen. I love my lower. No point in another one right now. Just another upper. Hopefully I get my 1-6 this week.
Edited by Powerman

The only thing stopping everyone from having one is the price.

Not true at all - To me, the price doesn't matter - as with alot of people.  The only thing stopping me is that the noise is a non-issue.  Doesn't bother me at all.  Plus, I have a habit of not complicating schit with complicated schit.

Damn sweet rifle, glad you love it.  Glad you appreciate the spring, and it's working for you.  For some, it's a lifesaver, for others it doesn't matter.  It's not about money, though.

Awesome rifle, man.  <thumbsup>

Thanks. OK, I can buy that. I do understand that it isn't a big problem that needs a fix, but it is nice. No different than any recoil spring on my pistols. My other rifle was tuned pretty good, and it wasn't that bad. The Bushy probably was bone stock and who knows what lube, but it was loud.