• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Russian steel reloading?

LeatherNuts

Not trying to stir the proverbial pot here, but does/has anyone ever loaded steel? I have one of those stereotypical old guys at the range i use that swears as he's picking up my spent steel that it loads just fine and anyone who says otherwise is playing right into "The Man's" hands. Anyone have any experience?

I'm also aware this flags me for being a steel shooter, but in my defense i haven't put any steel through my 308 yet,all 556.

I know of a guy that reloads steel. He swears it's just fine too. To each their own. I know about the LuckyGunner.com ammo test between steel and brass and I've heard the argument that in the amount of money saved on steel you could buy a new barrel.

For me I just figure that while there is plenty of brass to be had I would rather use it since it obturates better than steel and thereby should reduce the possibility of problems in the functionality of the weapon...at least in theory.

I have one of those stereotypical old guys at the range i use that swears as he's picking up my spent steel that it loads just fine and anyone who says otherwise is playing right into "The Man's" hands. Anyone have any experience?

He's doing some pretty cool stuff to get those Berdan primers out of the case - I'd mess with him about it, and ask him how he's doing it - how's he depriming and resizing?

This is the coolest video I've seen on it:

The ticket will be converting them from Berdan primed to Boxer primed - don't know if you can do that with steel:

The cartridge case is a seal to keep the gasses headed down the barrel behind the bullet, and not out the breach.

Brass makes a better gasket than steel, but steel works for fewer loadings, then it starts to work harden and becomes a less efficient seal. And it's harder on reloading dies.

AND berdan primers come in goofy sizes, and are harder to find on this side of the pond.

If I wasn't such an avid reloader I'd probably only shoot steel.

Back years ago I had some steel 45 ACP cases that I reloaded. That schit was hard to resize! I finally threw the stuff away after I managed to pull the carbide sizing ring out of the die.

Sounds like a story from the book "Tales From Squatch's Bench".  <laughs>

"After placing about a ton of lead on the bench, I was finally able to get enough lift on the arm to get the ram to lower."