• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Virgin build

belfy56

Hey guys I am attempting to build my first lr-308 I'm trying to decipher compatability between companies and manufacturers... What are the main things I need to worry about? I know my upper and lower receiver have to match but what about bolt, barrel, trigger assembly? Like I said first build ever I thought it'd be a fun project for me and my dad before I join the USAF! Any help or links to Posts would be appreciated!

What I am trying to accomplish with this build is hunting/ just plain fun shooting... Me and my dad have hunted together my entire life! I think it would be cool to do a build that will allow me to hunt with it, but also throw a couple cool attachments on it for the hell of it and just have a plain good ol time shooting!

As far as matching goes.... It just means that the parts must be of the same pattern, ie; AR-10, LR-308, LAR8, Etc.

• Upper and Lower must match
  • Upper and Barrel Nut/Handguard must match
  • Barrel [Extension] and Bolt must match
  • Buffer and Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube) must be compatible with each other.

Hey guys I am attempting to build my first lr-308 I'm trying to decipher compatability between companies and manufacturers... What are the main things I need to worry about? I know my upper and lower receiver have to match but what about bolt, barrel, trigger assembly? Like I said first build ever I thought it'd be a fun project for me and my dad before I join the USAF! Any help or links to Posts would be appreciated!

I am also an AR virgin and doing the same thing you will be (building my first)... to that end I have also been looking at the maten upper/lowers (which I saw in another post you are also considering). I found this and thought it might be useful for you.

http://megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/

This fella does a walk thru of sorts as well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp29WXahmeC-qb0qw72Sr3lfMNg25BgUw

Edited by ucemike

Mega matched upper/lowers make for a quality easy build..you cant go wrong  :)  wash

Nothing wrong with Mega, they are a premium product for sure.  However if cost is a concern then I would make the same statement for Aero Precision and a fraction of the cost  <thumbsup>.

Welcome from AZ!