• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie needs help with iron sights.

First decide, are these primary or back up sights? Based on your answer, you might want standard 12 o'clock sights or 45° offset sights.

Second, would you like the fixed or flip up? Fixed can be more accurate, but flip sights get small for storage.

Generally, you get what you pay for.

MechArmor Defense is releasing a new flip sight soon. We're getting an exclusive first release for a very reasonable price.

Men, DSG Arms has 4 of these in stock, and on sale: Midwest Industries flip-up front sight that is designed to mount to the Picatinny Gas Block, which is AR-10 height. Should be all .308 AR Pic Gas Blocks, that are NOT designed to be same-plane (there are very, very few of those out there).

DSGs regular price is $160 for this - they're clearancing them out at $55.

https://dsgarms.com/mi-ar10-laffg

0004398_midwest-industries-ar-10-front-f

Lesson 65b...

Thank you I will check on them. It gave the height difference so I'm going to measure.

I think you missed it - looks like they're sold out. 

Lesson 65b.  Could have been ordering, but you were measuring.  You snooze, you lose.

EDIT - Double-checked stocking levels.  There are 3 left.  Better stop measuring, and put it in your cart.  I'm just sayin'... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Hold up on that order. The p/n you gave looks to be the target height (extra tall) receiver. If that is the case, those sights won't help without some sort of riser. That rifle was specifically designed to accommodate a scope with a large objective, not irons.

Edited by blue109

Gonna have to start some serious measuring.  You need to find the hieght-over-bore for the top of the upper receiver, and the top of that gas block.  That would be the measurement from the centerline of the bore/barrel.  Once you get those measurements, post them up, and we can help more.

This is your rifle, right?

RFLR-308.jpg

Kinda screwed. You can buy the heavy DPMS quad rail that matches or You can rig it with a spacer on the gas block, but you will be pretty high over bore. Most guys just buy a stripped normal height upper and swap the parts over. Brownells was selling uppers pretty cheap. Not sure if they still do.

Edited by blue109

Ill answer your next question so you dont need to ask it ;)..dpms pattern uppers have 2 rail heights. The older/high version and the newer/low version. Dpms only makes the low pattern now but other companies make both and both have aftermarket support. There is about 1/16" difference in the two so just be concious of which one you have. The new/low upper is the same height as milspec ar15 uppers so may be a good idea if you plan on using a gas block or barrel mounted front sight. Easier parts compatability

• 2 weeks later...

I measured and the difference from the gas block to the rail is .310. I want to use a carry handle for my rear sight. Anybody know what the high will be with a carry handle? I was thinking of using a low profile front with a block riser under it. I found 1/2 inch risers to put on the gas block if I need to. Any ideas about that type of set up?

Robo, can you elucidate on the MechArmor iron sights? Will the rear be both elevation and windage adjustable, and will the front sight be easily adjustable similar to the KAC front sight? The KAC is a head-slapping "why didn't I think of that?" item.

I have photo's of them in a thread in Optics section . No elevation on the rear sight , front post operates just like the A2 front . The A2 sight adj. tool  will work with it .