• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero M5 Reciever/Bolt Catch Issue

So i installed the Aero M5 bolt catch on my M5 lower and when i put the matching upper on the lower it hits the bolt catch forcing it to where it's "engaged in the lock posistion" if you get what i'm saying. Has anyone had this issue with the Aero M5 receivers and bolt catch? if so what did yall do to fix it? Is ther another bolt catch that will work fine or do i need to send my receivers back to Aero? i contacted them but probably wont get a reply till tomorrow. Thanks for any info. ill post pictures once i get them uploaded to my computer from my phone.

Sounds like you need to bust out the dremmel on that catch. I had a catch that wouldn't match up with my billet upper (Mega AR15). Light grinding took care of it.

I think 98Z had a fitment issue recently too.

Yea thats kinda what i was thinking. I'm not really wanting to send my receivers back to aero.

I used the Armalite catch in the first Aero set - just wanted a catch with more meat on it.  I used the 10B catch, and had some fitting to do.  The 10A catch will probably drop right in with no work.

Aero's bolt catch works.  Only reason I changed mine is to get something with more beef in there.  Their bolt catch is fully functional...

Please post a pic of the issue you're having.  If I understand it correctly, when you put your upper in place (pinned on the lower), the width of the upper pushes the bolt catch out, into the bolt-hold position...

Edited by 98Z5V

So i installed the Aero M5 bolt catch on my M5 lower and when i put the matching upper on the lower it hits the bolt catch forcing it to where it's "engaged in the lock posistion" if you get what i'm saying. Has anyone had this issue with the Aero M5 receivers and bolt catch? if so what did yall do to fix it? Is ther another bolt catch that will work fine or do i need to send my receivers back to Aero? i contacted them but probably wont get a reply till tomorrow. Thanks for any info. ill post pictures once i get them uploaded to my computer from my phone.

What do you mean in that statement , locked up ,in the bolt hold open position or locked down ,against the lower ?   Photos, as was said .

Aero's bolt catch works.  Only reason I changed mine is to get something with more beef in there.  Their bolt catch is fully functional...

Please post a pic of the issue you're having.  If I understand it correctly, when you put your upper in place (pinned on the lower), the width of the upper pushes the bolt catch out, into the bolt-hold position...

Yea thats correct. working on pics.

Edited by hurricanecasey

Could we have a photo of the Bolt Catch in the Lower Receiver , with out the upper on it  ?  

Check on the outside of the Upper receiver & see if there is any brush or wear marks , by the Bolt Catch area . You can use grease or some kind of marker , as to show where they are contacting. Put a thin layer of grease on the top area of the Catch & close the Upper onto the Lower  & there should be some grease where the Catch came in contact with the Upper .

The Bolt Catch can be altered if it is making contact .

Could we have a photo of the Bolt Catch in the Lower Receiver , with out the upper on it  ?  

Check on the outside of the Upper receiver & see if there is any brush or wear marks , by the Bolt Catch area . You can use grease or some kind of marker , as to show where they are contacting. Put a thin layer of grease on the top area of the Catch & close the Upper onto the Lower  & there should be some grease where the Catch came in contact with the Upper .

The Bolt Catch can be altered if it is making contact .

I would do that but i theres no point. i have to push the bolt catch like if i was locking the bolt back to the rear just to get the upper to fit down on the lower, i didnt the upper would just set on the top of catch button. ill take some more pics.

If all else fails ill just modify the catch to work not a big deal. I' am not to happy with Aero on this, they seriously need to fix these receivers, and their customer service. I have never had a problem with their customer service but they have yet to email me back about this and i emailed them on Monday. The receivers look really nice but the mix and match of parts and their own parts not even working properly is ridiculous. 

They may have switched suppliers - and that is causing this. I'd think, though, that this is a part they make in-house.  Hell, I don't think they send anything out, except for the barrels.

The AP catch I have works fine.  I changed it out on a whim - just like the Armalite catches.  I guess I need to put up pics here.

So i found my problem. Heres some pictures for yall to see. Take notice of the thickness of the pads (mind my terminology) on the two bolt catches. Aero on the left DPMS 308 catch on the right. The thickness of the Aero is > the Dpms one in which it caused the upper to push against and cause the catch to "engage itself". the Dpms one is skinnier and works like a charm.

IMG_03441_zpsyfhtswkv.jpg

With the DPMS catch installed

IMG_03491_zpsvto0xj0i.jpg

Edited by hurricanecasey

Looks like 0.020" - at least.  Shave it, and it'll run.  <thumbsup>

I'd like to see a measurement from yours - my AP catch actually touches the upper when closing and pinning, and it moves it a little - but not enough to engage the catch on the bolt face and hold the bolt back.  Thickness on mine (measured diagonally, so the vernier caliper doesn't slip into a groove on the face) is 0.165". 

post-7-0-82012100-1435297114_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

The Bolt Catch can be shaved as said, but since a DPMS 308 LR Catch works ,its good to go  . It may not interfere with a different brand Upper  <dontknow>

It was going to be the Bolt Catch or its Pin hole out of spec in the lower , Good it went the inexpensive way  . <thumbsup>