• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hacked and Hornswoggled

jtallen83

I just got the notice today, I'm one of millions of federal employees that had their info hacked. No problem though, big brother provided me with a free credit monitoring service  :love4:

Problem is the PIN they sent me is invalid  :rant2:

Way to go OPM :wtf:

Stupid fukn government  :leghump:

That sucks.As we get closer to retirement the wife is taking about something like lifelock for fraud protection.

Do you remember that commercial when the "ceo" of that company put his ss number on a billboard and parked it on a street in new york or soome big city ??   What they didint tell you was his identity was stolen 30 mins later... ???

Between my Wife checking on my spending everyday and the great service I get from our local small town bank I don't worry so much about the financial fraud part. (crossed fingers)........

If I understand correctly they got info relating to security clearances, the implications of that concerns me greatly. It has been many decades since I was exposed to anything that would be considered valuable info but I fear my prior clearance may just put an X on me.

What will this mean for those that are active in the field with a high level clearance?

I hope we hit back hard on these hackers :bat:

Dave Ramsey says all those "identity protections" are bullcrap, because none of them work.

Instead he hawks Zander Insurance's program, which goes into action after the identity theft.  Goes after the person(s) that stole it, and any company that refuses to clear your name.

Good question....free for me but I'm sure the taxpayers are going to get a "REALLY GOOD DEAL" with the governments usual outstanding contract negation skills.......

I recommend looking into freezing your credit.  It is almost foolproof whereas lifelock and other protection services aren't.  I got hit with the BCBS hack and now this. 

Edited by StainTrain

Not sure I can free

I recommend looking into freezing your credit.  It is almost foolproof whereas lifelock and other protection services aren't.  I got hit with the BCBS hack and now this. 

Not sure that will work, I need my credit card for the road and I have to keep my government credit card running for official travel and it is in my name based on my credit. I'll check it out, rather I'll have the wife check into it :argue:

You will still have all that, but if you want to open up account, then you will need to unfreeze it and that will take a couple of days.  If you have already have a credit card then you are covered by those consumer protections.  Your .gov travel card will remain unaffected and your credit information will be accessible for your re-investigation since that will not be obtained commercially.  The freezing prevents anything new from going through. 

Edited by StainTrain