• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Show me your scatter guns.

babo

98, I've been looking at getting one of those 930 SPXs!  Is yours a special 10-shot?

Don't have pics right now but I have my Grandfather's Western Field 410 bolt-action, a Mossberg Intl SA-20 Bantam (for students mostly), and a TriStar NWTF Viper I picked up for $250 NIB.  Check out the review of the Viper semi-auto on Gunblast in their archives:  http://www.gunblast.com/TriStar.htm

Jon

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

98, I've been looking at getting one of those 930 SPXs!  Is yours a special 10-shot?

Jon, it can hold 9 total.  7 in the tube, 1 in the chamber, and you can ghost-load another one on the lifter tray (that's with 2 3/4).  <thumbsup> The only way to get more in there is with a longer mag extension. 

That shotgun will eat anything, too.  Doesn't matter what the load is.  Digests it all without a problem. 

Yes, please do explain this ghost loading!  Is that like ghost turds?

That Tri Star has the 24" barrel and came with the extra-full turkey choke.  I forget where but was able to pickup a full set of Benelli/Beretta extended chokes on clearance for $19.99!  Ka-CHING!

At first it didn't do so well with light loads, every third or fifth one would hangup on ejection.  Now it hums right along...definately one of the best bargains in shotguns right now.

Pulled the plug out, mag now holds 5-rounds, one in the tube. 

Something I haven't tried is feeding it directly from my palm.  An old Red Beret told me he learned from a SEAL that Remmy 1100s will feed from the shooters hand, great trick in a firefight he said.  I haven't tried it with a Remmy 1100 either.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, honestly, I don't mean to start any poop with you,...

...but I need to introduce you to the world of Nordic Components.  <lmao>

I'm just sayin'...  <laughs>

That 930 SPX purchase is called "a good start..."  :o  You can do alot with it.  ;D

Wash,

that wenig stock is gorgeous, can you tell me what wood it is?

Thanks Jgun!    Tiger stripe maple....ive got another on a beretta 302....pics really dont do justice...took me 6 months on each one to finish from a rough cut.... I would apply the oil with the palm of my hand.. then it would take one or two days for it to soak in and dry then I would sand it back and apply again...on and on until it just wouldnt take anymore...there is really no built up layer..its all in the wood....but I was able to go to tournaments and use it and the 302 during the process....hmmmm maybe between loading a thousand rounds of 12 gauge shells a week and working on the stocks is why the wife left? <lmao>  Wash

Those stocks really look elegant. I think I need to get a gun that i could put one on. I know they make an M1A stock, wonder if they'd offer it in the tiger strip? Regarding the wives, I sure hope it doesn't take 3 to get it right, I don't think I could survive another one. Wash, you should just think how much less free time and money you'd have if she'd stuck around!

Jgun and Unforgiven  ...Ill never learn  :)

Just got engaged to #3....proposed at a gun show last week <lmao>...at least she likes to shoot and go to gun shows ....hmmmmm <laughs>  she is wonderful!  Jgun...I would betcha Wenig will do it in tiger stripe maple....the funny thing bout maple...he hands you some blanks to look at and they are white with no stripes no nuthin...you wet em with a rag and the colors pop out.....maple is very hard and fun to work with....on the shotguns i was try fitted at the World Cup back in the 90's  when it was in Branson Mo, but on a rifle I think he could get measurements off one of your stocks and you wouldnt have to see him...but one thing for sure,,,he's got the wood!  you may wanna check out birds eye maple ...its pretty too!  <thumbsup>  Wash

Hi Guys

Jgun here is my backup 302. They dont make a chrome/silver reciever,but i nicked it one day on the lower and saw a shiney metal...so took it apart and this was very scary <laughs> I found a good spot on the concrete in my garage and just started rubbing th lower until all the black blueing started coming off...then got a sanding block with i dunno maybe # 200 grit working up to jewlers rouge. so heres black walnut,but this is not even what he calls fancy wood fairly cheap

Wash

IMG_0051.jpg

Jgun  what was i thinking?  you dont need to be try fitted for a rifle...all wenig would need would be length of pull...maybe you would want a palm swell?...cause a rifle isnt as critical as a sporting shotgun....go for it....ill tell you what you need if you wanna finish it out yourself

Wash

• 2 weeks later...

Wash, Sounds like you take your shotgunning pretty seriously, nice stock on the second one as well. I don't presently own a gun that would do justice to a high end custom stock. I'm planning to do build the M1A this year and put it in a chassis type stock for accuracy purposes, but When I get a hold of a deserving candidate, I'm going to go for it. I was looking at another stock maker,West Texas Armory, and he also makes some incredible stocks. He has stock blanks that are made of the europeon fancy walnuts that run +$500 for the wood alone!!!!, too rich for me, but I bet your familiar with them from your shotgunning friends. Congrats on the engagement. You do know of course that a wife that likes shooting as much as you do, can be a very expensive proposition, LOL.