• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel nut threads on Matrix Upper

guruofhotrod

Hey Guys,

Looks like there may be some Matrix uppers that have DPMS type barrel nut threads (They have been expected to have

Armalite type thread pitch) I figured it out pretty quickly when the nut supplied with the Matrix rail wouldn't thread all the 

way on to the upper, a quick check with a DPMS barrel nut confirmed it - I'm awaiting a response from Chris Riedeman

as to whether he needs this upper returned or wants to swap the Armalite type nut for a DPMS model - I know many of

you guys are experienced enough to catch this before forcing the nut on and destroying your upper but some of the less

experienced members might just think the threads are a little tight and try to force it the last of the way - DON'T DO IT!!!

I'll post a pic later.

Hmmmmm? Everything I read said the Matrix was an Armalite thread pattern, just the Matrix rails had the optional DPMS pattern nuts. I tried what I assume is a barrel nut from an early( no slots) AR10T FF tube, sold to me as such and in the Armalite green color. That nut threaded right on to the Matrix upper receiver without issue. <dontknow> 

I just sent payment for a MI SS rail that was used for a demo on YouTube, it is coming with both nuts so by next weekend I'll know for sure what I have. Glad I had them ship both nuts so I know I'm covered.

Did DPMS ever offer solid free float tubes in green???????

It seems like he said something about some of the older uppers used DPMS pattern barrel nut threads, so he had both nuts just in case you got one. That was a while ago, though.

Sounds like that may be the case, here's the response from Chris:

"Nope. You just got sent the wrong barrel nut.  Tell me which nut you need and I'll get it out. 

Thanks, and sorry. 

Chris"

I have requested confirmation on the use of both types of threads, should have an answer soon <dontknow>

A slight inconvenience but as long as we're aware of the possibility and exercise caution during assembly 

we shouldn't have any disasters :eek:

Edited by guruofhotrod

In the case of an Armalite nut on a DPMS upper it will thread on about 3/4ths of the way before the threads get tight - with the opposite 

combination it threads on about 1/4th of the way before the threads start to bind. Checking the threads with a pitch gage the DPMS 

is 16 threads per inch while the Armalite is 18 threads per inch. I think the Armalite nut on the DPMS upper is the combo most likely 

to get an inexperienced builder in trouble.

Got a reply from Chris:

"Rather recently, to avoid any further inconvenience to my customers, I switched the thread pattern on all my uppers to DPMS so that a crescent wrench could be used to install the barrel nut.

While I may have three or four of the Armalite thread patterned uppers left over, soon they will all be gone.  I don’t plan on having the Armalite thread pattern available after these are gone.

Thanks,

Christopher Riedeman

RiedemanFirearms@aol.com   "

So, no more Armalite threaded Matrix uppers - not sure how many of each are in circulation, definitely something to give extra attention to <thumbsup>

• 11 months later...

Older thread I realize and new poster, however new info to add seems appropriate. The profile height after reading thru all the Matrix threads and couldn't find any info until I e-mailed Live Free Armory stated that the upper receivers for the Matrix Arms are indeed high profile. Hope that helps when ordering a after market rail like the Odin Works I'm prolly going to get after I gets some funds saved up Good Forum BTW.:) 

1 hour ago, jander6442 said:

Older thread I realize and new poster, however new info to add seems appropriate. The profile height after reading thru all the Matrix threads and couldn't find any info until I e-mailed Live Free Armory stated that the upper receivers for the Matrix Arms are indeed high profile. Hope that helps when ordering a after market rail like the Odin Works I'm prolly going to get after I gets some funds saved up Good Forum BTW.:) 

Welcome, feel free to post in the intro section