• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forged 80% DPMS Pattern 308 Lowers

noyb

Anyone have experience with forged 308 DPMS patter 80% lowers?  I'd like one that is already anodized.  I would also prefer one with safe/fire engravings but have only seen that on billet lowers so far.  The forged ones are generally cheaper than the billet and I'm cheap so I'd prefer forged.  The cheapest one I've found is the one from KE Arms but haven't been able to find any reviews on them.  Anyone use them?  Also, I know there isn't any standardization like there is with the little brother so what jig are you using with what lower?  Thanks for the help.

http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-receivers/products/fde-billet-80-308-lower-receiver

This is what I used.  Billet, anodized, good finish and quality.  These guys do have some good prices on blemished ones, also.  Plus, if you do screw up one of their lowers using their jig, they will sell you the second one half price.  CS is good; you can reach them on the phone, and they are helpful.  Yeah, I had to get the second one.  However, I was able to fix the first one, so ended up with two very good ones.  Mated up super with my upper, which was from Aero Precision.

I used an 80percentarms jig.  Their .308 jig is NOT universal.  But it works very well, using a router to do the finish work.  I was very happy with them.  My son and I just went in together on a jig from Modulus, which is "universal", which we will use to do a number of AR-15's.  Take your time; go slow, take little bites with the router, and you can come out with a super, professional looking lower.  And it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Lastly, don't think I'd be concerned about the forged vs billet thing.  The biggest problem with 308 is the lack of reliable standards.  Aero has a great reputation for quality, and the fact that their upper fit so well with my lower from 80%Arms speaks well for both companies, I think.

Edited by slugger43

My reason for wanting a forged is because they can be had cheaper and I'm a cheapskate.  I've found what looks to be the forged  anodized KE Arms 308 80% lower for less then $90 but just can't find reviews, regardless of the number of searches I do online.  I can find very few reviews of the company in general online and it's kind of been a 50/50 then.  I have the easy jig for the ar-15 and like it

My reason for wanting a forged is because they can be had cheaper and I'm a cheapskate.  I've found what looks to be the forged  anodized KE Arms 308 80% lower for less then $90 but just can't find reviews, regardless of the number of searches I do online.  I can find very few reviews of the company in general online and it's kind of been a 50/50 then.  I have the easy jig for the ar-15 and like it

first off welcome to the forum, feel free to post up in the intro section.

i myself wouldn't order from a company no ones heard of with no reviews, but that's me. Also it's hard being cheap in this hobby, good deals can be found, but in my experience cheaper is seldomly better. 

Thanks for to welcome.  I agree with you, I'll pass on KE Arms lowers if I can't find any reviews.  I find it hard to believe in the digital age that it's so difficult to find user reviews.  People post pictures of what kind of sprinkles they had on their ice cream at lunch so surely they could post something that my be useful or that I would care about, lol.  I'm cheap but this is one area I buy once and cry once.  But if I could save a few bucks and still get a quality product, then I'd be all over it.  Guess I'll have to part with a little extra cash and buy one from a know company.

• 3 months later...

Im a Retired Toolmaker and finished this 80* Lower last Spring to have an AR in a larger bore for "Plinking".  The Lower is a HellFire Armory 80* with Geiselle SSA FCG and a Tubb Spring. On top of this is the PSA 10(Yep, I worked through those "Issues" as well) with 16 Heavy Barrel with a Fortis Mfg. Muzzle Brake, a Midwest Ind. 15" Guard, 4x16x44 Leatherwood Glass(Our range is only 200 yards) and a Harris Bi-Pod. With lots of fine tuning It runs waaaay better than I imagined. Solid, so I'm glad I finished the 2nd one identical to this one. The only benefit I've found with these 80* Lowers verses "Complete" ones are the Billet Hellfire are Rock Solid and gave me incentive for the build. Safe Shooting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Im a Retired Toolmaker and finished this 80* Lower last Spring to have an AR in a larger bore for "Plinking".  The Lower is a HellFire Armory 80* with Geiselle SSA FCG and a Tubb Spring. On top of this is the PSA 10(Yep, I worked through those "Issues" as well) with 16 Heavy Barrel with a Fortis Mfg. Muzzle Brake, a Midwest Ind. 15" Guard, 4x16x44 Leatherwood Glass(Our range is only 200 yards) and a Harris Bi-Pod. With lots of fine tuning It runs waaaay better than I imagined. Solid, so I'm glad I finished the 2nd one identical to this one. The only benefit I've found with these 80* Lowers verses "Complete" ones are the Billet Hellfire are Rock Solid and gave me incentive for the build. Safe Shooting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A beautiful build! I like the BUIS-45's on every build, a feature I like to have on mine too, Hat's off to you sir, you do nice work.

I have the Juggernaut Tactical AR-15 & 308 jigs, and the Modulus Arms HD AR-15 jig. The Modulus, with it's steel rather than aluminum plates, is superior by far. It's also billed as being compatible with multiple lowers. You'd think the Modulus would be a lot more expensive but it was only $179 while the JT's are $140ea. Can't wait for Modulus to come out with the steel 308 model.

Thanks, I don't normally comment on forums let alone share photos of my low budget builds but jigs, fixtures and tooling have provided and I can certainly relate to all those frustrated with some of these 80* jigs that are out there. So Sorry if I've "HiJacked" the Thread and hope all those making "Chips" on their own, sneak up on all their finish cuts. Very Rewarding. Forgot to mention the 10s have Syrac Adjustable Gas Blocks to reduce any "Over Gassing" Issues. Safe Shooting.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Frankh252 said:

Are the final 80% lower milling depths the same for the AR308 and AR15?

The specs I have heard are:

Fire Control Pocket: 1.25"

Rear Shelf: 0.63"

The plan I obtained (for $8+) from the internet indicates the back shelf depth is 0.525" and the FCG pocket at 1.249."  The difference is the back shelf depth but so long as it is below the takedown pin it should be OK.

1 hour ago, EngrBob said:

The plan I obtained (for $8+) from the internet indicates the back shelf depth is 0.525" and the FCG pocket at 1.249."  The difference is the back shelf depth but so long as it is below the takedown pin it should be OK.

Best to start shallow & test fit from there should be a safe plan.

Ive always done .630 on both platforms without any issues.  This pic is a DPMS pattern. If you need any dimensions or have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. Ive also got the "other" platforms hole locations if needed.

Edited by Toolndie7