• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR 308 Headspace

Frankh252

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Aero is on sale for 139 right now. But...that's the upper I'm using that has the large gap with the Fortis! Not sure if the barrel extension is playing a part in this as well!

Yes I remember yours, I'm just wondering how many uppers the Fortis will fit without a gap or if the APF is one of them. On the Fortis website there are pics that appear to have very little gap but they look like they're on the $500+ Cross Machine Tool upper/lower matched set that's out of stock anyway. I don't think I want to spend that much to eliminate a little gap unless it's just a little more $ added in place of another purchase option.

That Aero is on sale for 139 right now. But...that's the upper I'm using that has the large gap with the Fortis! Not sure if the barrel extension is playing a part in this as well!

Halo   why cant you just return the fortis?  the fitment suks...and in time the way the switchback clamps down will suk too     Wash

82HALO, this is a message I received from Fortis when I asked which uppers fit their high-profile HG's w/o the gap...

The upper receivers I'd recommend that line up almost perfectly without the gap are:

• Rainier Arms (I believe they only have one type)
  • Mega Arms
  • Cross Machine Tool (CMTTac.com)

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Tony

82HALO, this is a message I received from Fortis when I asked which uppers fit their high-profile HG's w/o the gap...

The upper receivers I'd recommend that line up almost perfectly without the gap are:

• Mega Arms

Tony

Halo   thats a pretty limited group of uppers....and he sez "that line up almost perfectly without the gap"     Im thinkin thats a Fortis F up in design

why should you have to deal with that?      Wash

• Mega Arms

Tony

do they state this anywhere in public domain, that's a pretty stingy list

I think I'll ask for a return, since they recommended it for my DPMS upper, and use a different rail for my other build.

Frank....now you're catchin my drift....send that fugly thing back to wherever you got it....and if you got it and asked them for the recommendation then they screwd you...send it back...hell it wasnt as cheap as it looks either...I was surprised it cost that much....the lever that they call the switchback that clamps down is bad engineering to begin with...if a handguard doesnt thread down onto the barrel nut and then get some help with set screws/clamping screws...its lacking  somewhat ..       Wash

Frank....now you're catchin my drift....send that fugly thing back to wherever you got it....and if you got it and asked them for the recommendation then they screwd you...send it back...hell it wasnt as cheap as it looks either...I was surprised it cost that much....the lever that they call the switchback that clamps down is bad engineering to begin with...if a handguard doesnt thread down onto the barrel nut and then get some help with set screws/clamping screws...its lacking  somewhat ..       Wash

Haha no worries Wash, your drift has been coming across crystal clear! I think it's a great looking rail but I would prefer the clamp-screw connection, now that I see how well the SLR mounted up. I still think it would be a good light-duty rail, sparing it any heavy bouncing on a bipod.

Haha no worries Wash, your drift has been coming across crystal clear! I think it's a great looking rail but I would prefer the clamp-screw connection, now that I see how well the SLR mounted up. I still think it would be a good light-duty rail, sparing it any heavy bouncing on a bipod.

Frank....yep..I just dont wanna see our crew from Texas get hosed...lol      Now you see the how the SLR mounts up...good !         Wash

Thanks Frank, I know Rainier should be a good match because the sell the fortis on their site for their uppers. Wash, I hear everything you're sayin and agree 100%...just sucks cause I like its looks. My problem is i got it on ebay at a great price! I'll have to dump it on there to get ride of it!

May contact Rainier to see what they say about the fit. Since this won't be my only 308 build!

• 2 weeks later...

I see new shoes in your future ! Lol ! And a new pair of boots , "Do you like these boots I got... YOU only paid $250 for them !"

I said "Honey, it's like when you take a car to the bodyshop for a fender replacement, they don't come already painted. The painting comes after it's installed and it's all just part of the final form and function" after which she gave me that look I'm sure we're all familiar with haha

Thanks Frank, I know Rainier should be a good match because the sell the fortis on their site for their uppers. Wash, I hear everything you're sayin and agree 100%...just sucks cause I like its looks. My problem is i got it on ebay at a great price! I'll have to dump it on there to get ride of it!

May contact Rainier to see what they say about the fit. Since this won't be my only 308 build!

When I looked, Rainier was out of stock. The CMT matched upper & lower set were in stock but dang they're $$$!

Yeah that is a little more than I want to spend for a receiver set! Got a reply back from Rainer they say it's a perfect match to their receivers, they also sell the switch on their site! I'm in no hurry right now, I can wait till they become available again, maybe a black Friday deal!!