• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR 308 Headspace

Frankh252

I would like to shortcut my novice searching and ask for help from the experienced folks here...what I would like to put on it is a keymod rail that has no gap between the handguard and receiver, and is approximately 12"-13" in length. Anyone know of any selections like that?

scroll down the page for some decent ideas       http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar308.aspx   

http://www.apexhandguard.com/308-handguards/        these are first class              Wash

Edited by washguy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh okay...miss read thought you both had the same sharp ramp issue...so since they are two different barrels and two different uppers....then the fitment issue of the gap must be the fortis handguard........     and now after looking at the video and see how the rail attaches....  Wash

I'm no machinist but it looks like it would be a simple matter to measure the gap and then take that much material off the receiver-end of the barrel nut. Since the barrel nut and the handguard would both move that much closer to the receiver, there shouldn't be an issue with the clamp not engaging the groove in the barrel nut like it is supposed to.

I'm no machinist but it looks like it would be a simple matter to measure the gap and then take that much material off the receiver-end of the barrel nut. Since the barrel nut and the handguard would both move that much closer to the receiver, there shouldn't be an issue with the clamp not engaging the groove in the barrel nut like it is supposed to.

That won't work because your barrel nut is designed to bottom out on the barrel extension shoulder and press it against the receiver face. Facing that amount of material off the barrel nut won't change where the nut seats on the barrel extension shoulder.

Like Matt said...it wont work....so Ive been looking around to see how all the switchbacks fit....pretty much like yours...some a lil tighter...but the way it fits with that gap I was thinking its a cheapo handguard..But its not !   sheesh... theres no reason to start off on a new build with a gap like that....and to top it off they aint exactly giving them away....any chance of sending it back and get something that fits nice?       Wash

Just to throw this out for future reference, DPMS hasn't made the "high" rail uppers in years. Any new DPMS branded gun or stripped upper will be low. Some other companies still use the high pattern though.

Also, lots of bad reviews on those qd rails. Will only tighten down so many times before they start to wear out. Just can't see any reason whatsoever to need that option. I'd consider something else if you plan on a new one. 

Edited by blue109

I'm sure y'all are right about the nut mod and I'm not going to be trying it. Even though the rail is a little high it still does everything I need it to do, except allow for a good BUIS setup, so it'll suit my purposes while I decide on another. And I'm glad to see the MLOK mention, haven't heard of that system before. On initial review it seems MLOK is the superior system (to me anyway), has more available accessories and can adapt to keymod rails. I guess we'll have to wait & see if one or the other system dominates the market.

After looking at all the rail selections I've seen linked in these posts, so far I'm leaning toward one of the SLR Solo's at http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_107_113 but I'm in no hurry and intend to consider the options much more carefully before buying again.

Happy building & shooting, guys. Time for me to get ready for work.

My barrel is a Faxon, and those edges are so sharp they could cut you! Still undecided if I want to just polish them myself or contact Faxon and return it and let them look at it!

I had the same issue with a Sig 716. It was sharp enough to slice my finger and gouged the bullet and case real deep. It went back to Sig for that and other issues, they smoothed it out some but that was the only issue they fixed.....so far.

Oh okay...miss read thought you both had the same sharp ramp issue...so since they are two different barrels and two different uppers....then the fitment issue of the gap must be the fortis handguard........     and now after looking at the video and see how the rail attaches im thinkin they are trying to reinvent the wheel....who or why would need to quickchange the handguard with a clamping lever ?  Wash

They wanted to create a niche to generate more sales maybe? Personally, I didn't buy it for the toolless removal feature I just liked the looks and still do. And for the $$ that is similar to other rails, combined with my inexperience with builds, I just didn't realize it wasn't an already proven platform and imagined it to be as high of a quality product as others. Seems there are doubts out there but like so many other things, reviews can be mixed for pretty much anything and for a myriad of reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you !   take your time...and we need some pics      Wash

It's toward the end of Feb...just wondering how long it will take me to have pics of the pair side by side. Hmmm, gotta count the cost/lots of stuff to find & buy, so for now I'll just have to settle with pics of DPMS LR-308 #1 after I get the new rail is on haha.

+1 lets see some pics when together! That's the rail I'm gonna go with too! What upper are you going to try with the Fortis hoping for a better fit?

APF has a high-profile DPMS upper stripped@$169.99 and assembled @$219.99 at http://www.apfarmory.com/308-upper-assembly/ but it has forward-assist!!! (as if I need a big knob to smack with my palm lol) and Brownell's has the Aero M5 for $155  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/308-ar-m5-upper-receiver-prod71789.aspx

Still thunkin' it over & still looking around. Saw a good looking matched set without F/A but I don't seem to remember where that bugger is now.

And shout-out to guruofhotrod for the SLR Solo lead, I think that's who shared that link. Thanks

Here she is with the new SLR Rifleworks Solo installed. I like the milled-in picatinny's out one the end at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock & 9 o'clock.

The wife..."You paid $250 for that? The shades of black don't even match!"

lol, fit's snug as a bug in cotton-patch-dirt rug

3fa8c731-b4ef-4290-8b76-5d89a918e3ec.jpg

20160227_145449.jpg

Edited by Frankh252
Camera lens is dirty...not the rifle

Frank   now thats like a fitment should be !    Your wife is right   Ha...ill bet you told her.... but honey the 250 is for the whole rifle !     Wash

Lucky for me she was only critical of the color not the cost. And hey, it all could lead to a nice refinishing down the road... ;)