• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New 308 Build

Frankh252

A new 308 to be built from scratch. All I have so far is a hi-profile 12" Fortis Switch rail, so the build needs to be compatible with a DPMS hi-profile receiver. Also any thoughts on the Nitrided Stainless Steel barrels from Criterion? Haven't looked at Faxton yet but will.

What parts would you put into the build?

I don't need best of the best quality, just good quality; best bang for the buck is the goal.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Faxon 16" (5.56) and 18" (7.62) QPQ barrels.  Both are very light and very accurate (limited only by the trigger puller).  I would recommend them to anyone wanting a lightweight barrel that does not sacrifice accuracy.  Both barrels like heavier projectiles (69g to 77g for the 5.56 and 165g to 175g for the 7.62).  They also do well with lighter projectiles but really shine with the heavier bullets.

I have Faxon 16" (5.56) and 18" (7.62) QPQ barrels.  Both are very light and very accurate (limited only by the trigger puller).  I would recommend them to anyone wanting a lightweight barrel that does not sacrifice accuracy.  Both barrels like heavier projectiles (69g to 77g for the 5.56 and 165g to 175g for the 7.62).  They also do well with lighter projectiles but really shine with the heavier bullets.

Thanks for the input, EngrBob. For the barrel I will probably be going with a 16" QPD with a mid-length gas tube, and the Faxon quality & prices are attractive. Still have tons of homework to do before ordering anything.

I just received a Juggernaut Tactical 18" AR-10 SS Fluted Barrel 1x10 twist Black Cerakote. It's a very nice barrel and only weighs 32oz. The reports say these are very accurate barrels. 

If there other products are as good as their barrels, they should be GTG.

Thanks DW, my JTac stuff is slow in arriving. Haven't heard anything about backordering anything so we'll see.

Hey Frank got a email back from Rainer, they say the Fortis fits their upper perfect! Just don't want to spend that much right now on a complete receiver! Now need to rethink my build, if I'm gonna go with the Rainer it will be my long range shooter and this Aero will be the short carry piece! Need to start looking for a 16" barrel and handguard!

Hey Frank got a email back from Rainer, they say the Fortis fits their upper perfect! Just don't want to spend that much right now on a complete receiver! Now need to rethink my build, if I'm gonna go with the Rainer it will be my long range shooter and this Aero will be the short carry piece! Need to start looking for a 16" barrel and handguard!

Good luck & I hope it turns out kickin'! I wanted a 16" but got such a good deal ($144!) for a new Ballistic Advantage 18" Looks like a new 15-16" handguard might be in my future too

I cut the 16" barrel on my Aero upper to 14.5 w/Battle comp for 16.1 overall lenght.Its something to consider brother,for a short carry piece.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2016 at 8:07 PM, FaxonNathan said:

Let us know if we can help!

Been looking at your site for a few weeks, looking for a barrel I wanted to be in stock. This morning I found the one at Joe Bob Outfitters and ordered the Faxon Firearms 16" Gov't/Socom 5.56 Mid-Length 416-R Stainless Steel Barrel QPQ Coated for only $170.05 and free shipping.

BCG is the Ballistic Advantage 308 in black phosphorous, to go with the 18" Ballistic Advantage mid-length gas 308 stainless barrel. Trying the Aero M5 upper on a Juggernaut Tactical lower w/CMMG LPK, MechArmor 3/0 single-stage trigger & adjustable stock & carbine buffer kit. Better scope to come later but going with a 2.5-10 Nikon Pro Staff 5 w/BDC reticle for now.

Had a change of direction with this AR308 build since I began getting the parts for it, such as the 18" .308 Ballistic Advantage barrel. I think I'll keep the original 7.62 chambered DPMS Oracle for the tactical model and set this one up for more range and accuracy. Not a true long-range build, just more of a good mid-range version. I don't mind using the cheap steel-case ammo in the 7.62 barrel but I'm going to stick with the 168gr  Federal Gold Medal Match ammo in the .308Win chambered build. When she's ready for optics, I hope to be able to follow the "Spend more on the optics than the gun" rule too.

I will be getting my optics sometime this month or next. Thankfully I won't have to spend more than the build on it! Girlfriends son in laws brother is a rep for Burris! Some of the prices he quoted me are crazy cheap! Since Berretta bought Burris and Steiner, I can get this discount on either one!

Like a kid in a candy store! Think I'll be upgrading all my scopes, and super nice ones for the next 308 and Grendel builds! 

15 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Give the 175's a try in FGMM 7.62, they are generally cheaper than FGMM 308 in either weight and my 1-10 16 incher likes them as well or better.

I'll try other weights, maybe even some handloads. What I want to end up with is a one rifle & one load combo that I can shoot very well. I'm not big on multi-tasking a bunch of different loads while learning, so I hope I can learn to shoot one load better just from familiarity with how it behaves. After I get that one down, I'll go for mastering a second load & so on.