• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New 308 Build

Frankh252

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, my! You guys would die if I told you the prices he quoted me for the scopes!

Thinking of going with the Burris XTR II 5x25 with their scope mount! Can get it all for less than a mid priced Bushnell! Get the Steiner later after i finish the Grendel build!

I want to buy an American brand scope, like my 'since-childhood' fav Leupold, but I am being tempted by the Nikon P-308 4-12x40 BDC, which did not make the "Rifle Scopes Made in America" search result list. I'll have to think about it. The Steiner's are sweet no doubt but I'm not entirely convinced the "spend more on optics than you did on the gun" rule is really that necessary for my hog-hunting & home defense needs and the price of the Nikon's & Leupold's are much more attractive. Suggestions from the pro's here?

What attracts me to that particular Nikon, the P-308, is because of it's BDC reticle calibrated to the .308Win cartridge and they have a website that lets you enter the specific ammo to get precise distances for each descending aim-point in the BDC reticle. And the 4-12 magnification is enough for deer & wild hogs. I wish one of the American makers had that setup.

So far the major parts I've got for this one are:

Aero Precision M5 upper (DPMS hi-profile pattern)

Juggernaut Tactical lower

Ballistics Advantage 18" .308Win chambered barrel, mid-length DI gas

Ballistics Advantage BCG  (NEED another Tac-Ops charging handle;)

Brownell's 6-position commercial 308 carbine buffer/stock kit

and a 12" Fortis Switch handguard that WILL HAVE A BIG GAP between it and the Aero M5 upper, so I'll have to get another HG. Luckily, the supplier agreed to take the Fortis back in trade...

Still undecided about the scope but I also like the Nikons. Maybe my 2.5x10 ProStaff 5 will hold me for awhile while I keep thinking about the Meprolight M21 I want to get for my concurrent AR15 build? The magic 8 ball says "harharhar, get the card out, Jack" lol

19 hours ago, 82HALO said:

Hahahaha, some body's got it bad! Damn 8 ball!

I'm right behind you!

"some body's" sounds like "we" haha. When I finish these two, I'll have a tactical-use AR308 in 7.62 NATO chamber & bulk brass 149gr ammo, a mid-distance shooter in a 308Win chamber w/ Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, and an AR15 in 5.56 NATO chamber for the cheaper & lighter 5.56/.223 ammo. Gonna have a lot of fun plinkin'!

Having trouble with this upper right out of the gate. Slapped it on my current DPMS LR308 and man was the rear take-down pin tight! Got it together & loaded it up with a brand new set of dummy rounds. At first it had difficulty going into battery then after seating it, it then wouldn't eject but it was easy to reach in and pop it out with a finger. On a third try the dummy wouldn't pull out of the chamber (not easily anyway but I got it out). It's a brand new Ballistic Advantage BCG & 18" BA barrel on an Aero M5 upper.

Going to try my DPMS BCG in it and try the BA BCG in the DPMS upper & see if the problem transfers to the other upper or stays with the BCG. Ideas?

Still pondering on the optics.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it turns out that the new Ballistic Advantage BCG has some kind of an issue, perhaps with the extractor judging by the marks it puts on the rim of a case (kind of like it is just ramming into the rim without slipping over and engaging it). The DPMS BCG works fine in both uppers and the BA doesn't work in either. Fortunately, BA is being great with their customer service and has shipped a replacement without even waiting for the return to arrive.

7 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

That's interesting, I just installed a new AeroprecisionUSA 308AR bcg and it functioned flawlessly in my M5E upper. BA is Aero now after their recent purchase. I wonder if you got an "early" model?

I don't know what model it is but this one still has the BA flame logo rather than the Aero "A". I hadn't heard of their hook-up with Aero before you mentioned it and a check of their website says Aero purchased a majority share of the BA company in Dec 2014 and BA is operating as a majority owned subsidiary of Aero. The 'ding' it is putting on the case rims is very noticeable by feel but I haven't had much luck getting a good clear picture with this phone-camera I have.