• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 gas tube question

JerryPbury

Just finished my first .308 AR assembly. 20" barrel, midlength gas block. I purchased a DPMS 308 "compatible" gas tube. It just doesn't look long enough. It just clears the notch in the upper. It's installed right now but I'm not too sure about shooting it tomorrow. How far should it protrude into the Notched area (next to the charging handle slot)? I'm used to the tube extending half way into the notched area on an AR15. The 308 notch is at least twice the size of the AR15.

Any recommendations for the "correct tube"?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry

Edited by JerryPbury
Repeated question

1 hour ago, JerryPbury said:

Just finished my first .308 AR assembly. 20" barrel, midlength gas block. I purchased a DPMS 308 "compatible" gas tube. It just doesn't look long enough. It just clears the notch in the upper. It's installed right now but I'm not too sure about shooting it tomorrow. How far should it protrude into the Notched area (next to the charging handle slot)? I'm used to the tube extending half way into the notched area on an AR15. The 308 notch is at least twice the size of the AR15.

Any recommendations for the "correct tube"?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry

Welcome to the forum, feel free to post in the intro section from what you say it sounds short.

image.png

image.png

Its gotta be long enough to go into the gas key on your bcg

Edited by shepp

I still wouldn't like it , because we have had some here that wouldn't work when they were like that . I still say there is something to it by DPMS & I say this because there are only a few that are like this shorter version . 99% of what I have seen are in the middle or very close to it . Tolerance spec's by DPMS , maybe they changed something or something got past QC . JMHO.

Just remember that the gas tube has to enter the gas key far enough too give the pressured gas volume enough energy to push against the bolt gas rings,to keep the bolt from unlocking prematurely and then cycle the BCG fully open and compress the buffer spring

4 hours ago, JerryPbury said:

Went to the range this morning. Put 40 rounds through it without a problem. Ejected @3 o'clock into a nice group 8 feet away. Locked back on the empty mag. Need to go back and dial in my scope. I am very happy!

i did go ahead and order the longer Armalite gas tube.

Which one or size ?

DPMS Gas Tube/AR 15/16

Pistol             6-5/8

Carbine          9-3/4

Mid-Length  11-3/4

Rifle             15-1/4

Armalite lengths,

Rifle ( 308 ) ----- 15.5 "

Carbine ( 308 )--12 1/16"

super SASS Carbine ( 308 )--11"

Super SASS< Rife (308 )   ?

Mid ,( 223 )------------------ 11 3/4"

Carbine ( 223) --------------- 9 3/4 "

Rifle ( 223 ) ------------------- 15 3/16"

National Match---------------  ?

On 8/23/2016 at 1:31 PM, JerryPbury said:

Went to the range this morning. Put 40 rounds through it without a problem. Ejected @3 o'clock into a nice group 8 feet away. Locked back on the empty mag. Need to go back and dial in my scope. I am very happy!

i did go ahead and order the longer Armalite gas tube.

So you only needed a good magazine to shoot a perfect course of 40 rounds? with the new DPMS rifle ......So you went ahead and ordered a gas tube that is for a Armalite carbine, and you have a rifle length DPMS rifle.   Now why in the hell would you do that?

Looks to me like it's a DIY mid-length setup (not factory built), and the DPMS mid-length tube (11-3/4") appeared to be too short. The ArmaLite .308 carbine tube (12-1/16") was "just right," being 5/16" longer.

Turns out the rifle runs just fine with the DPMS Mid, but he ordered the ArmaLite Carbine tube for peace of mind.

Not sure where the confusion lies...