• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Redi-Mag type device for AR10?

Would any of you guys be interested in something like this for your AR10?

I've been toying with producing one for myself.  More than likely it would be 6061T6 aluminum and machined rather than stamped, but I may attempt fabricating one from steel like the Redi-Mag.  For sure it would use a stock type magazine catch (as in off the shelf Armalite part).

Thoughts?

Might be tough to pull off - do you have a 5.56 Redi-mag to go off of?  That would help, if you don't.

Just make sure you make it like the Redi-Mag Gen 2 and not like the Gen 1.  Gen 1 dropped both mags (empty, in the rifle, and loaded, in the RM) when you hit the mag release.  Gen 2 changed that, and you drop the loaded mag independently of the one in the rifle.  <thumbsup>

I don't know about tough.  I think that depends on your fabrication skills.  And those I have in spades.  I do have a Redi Mag to go off of.  I just need to get the magazine catch parts and I'm off and running.  I don't think I'd want to lug an extra 20-25 round magazine around all the time, but in a combat rifle match (or if you're going on a direct action mission) it would give you that edge up front.

I'm going to build one, and might even CNC the main well.  We'll see.  I know the Redi Mags are stamped, and the new ones are polymer I think.  If I was to CNC it, a composite would be the way to go.  Strong, and light.

Boonie Packer Products makes the Redi-Mag, and they don't make one out of a polymer or composite.  If there's one out there made from a polymer/composite, it's not made by the original company.  The only thing made from a composite in the whole (original) Redi-Mag is the bolt catch extension.  I'm just sayin'. 

Yes, I understand who makes the Redi-Mag.  I'm not really sure what your point is though?  Are you saying one can't be made from composite material? C-130J aircraft airframes are almost entirely composites, rather than aluminum like the older C-130s.  So the material is strong enough, and can be machined.  I know, because the last 4 years I was in the AF I crosstrained over to AirCraft Fabrication, and we had to take special classes on machining them.

I only mentioned a composite material, as it can be machined (so I could CNC it if there was a demand) and it would be light.

Yes, I understand who makes the Redi-Mag.  I'm not really sure what your point is though?  Are you saying one can't be made from composite material?

My point was simply to respond to this statement you made above:

I know the Redi Mags are stamped, and the new ones are polymer I think. 

Only that.  Boonie Packer isn't making any polymer or composite Redi-Mags.  That's all.

No worries.  Just wondering as I didn't get what you were saying.  I'm thick like that sometimes.  <laughs>

I'll look into what type of composite would work the best and not be overly bulky.  I would think something as thick as the magazine well is wouldn't be too much or cumbersome. My idea is to basically replicate the mag well and magazine catch area, and make the rest lightened, leaving a cap to protect the ammo in the fresh magazine.

I also like the concept that the main mag release would drop both magazines.  I know there are arguments for and against, but if you're going for the back up magazine, I'm guessing the faeces has hit the oscillating cooling unit, and you're not really going to care where the first magazine goes.

• 1 year later...

I used a Redimag in the early 90s. I liked it a lot. The dropping both mags things doesn't really matter because you don't ride a spare mag on your rifle unless it's prepped for serious use or you have entered into some other "excitement".

I would love a DPMS/SR25 type Redimag that specifically fits P-Mags!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...