• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Remington R-25

captain23steve

52 minutes ago, washguy said:

"I would be happy to get that back from you to check it. We do test our barrels before we do gas port sizes and make sure it works with carbine and rifle buffer systems and we do not give out the gas port sizes as those are valuable 
industry secrets so when people ask we do not answer the question of gas port size."

"-It could be the barrel but I might be able to diagnose it better with all your stuff in it."

I'm torn now, send it in or drill it out myself??????? I had to order a set of bits as nobody had them here in town.

Thats some pure crapola right there lol       You can doo it JT  drill it brother...    go big or go home     sFi_flamethrower.gif    Wash

Sorry Cap...its an industry secret   

:lmao:      Wash

And that's the biggest load of bullshit 

best thing to do seems to be get stuff from people that work with you, not hold stuff from you. plenty of other people out there that want you to be informed and educated. customer service is important. I'm so tired of hearing crap answers from companies, if they don't give me straight answers to ALL of my questions, I find someone else.

31 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Apparently, not very well...  Two in a row that are hand lapped, and pitted?...

I apologize, misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were talking about X-Caliber not being hand lapped. You were saying that the factory barrel was not hand lapped. Yes, you are absolutely correct, factory barrel is far from being hand lapped, or machined well for that matter. I really don't think it's worth trying to lap, Like I said, I have much older rifles, with barrels in far better shape. It would drive me crazy to keep it with me knowing the condition it is in. Again, apologize for the misunderstanding.

11 minutes ago, beantown said:

Doesn't DPMS make this rifle for Remington? I ask this as my LR-308 Oracle is a MOA tack driver for a 16" bull barrel. I have never scoped my barrel, but after break in, the lands and grooves look smooth as glass on mine. Where are you located captain23steve?

Both rifles came with a DPMS magazine, The company that bought Remington also bought, Marlin, DPMS, and a couple of other gun manufactures that I can't remember. So I would imagine DPMS has something to do with the R-25. The person I spoke with at Remington said that they manufacture the rifle, and DPMS doesn't have any involvement, but like I said, the rifle came with a DPMS magazine. Located in SC.

47 minutes ago, captain23steve said:

Both rifles came with a DPMS magazine, The company that bought Remington also bought, Marlin, DPMS, and a couple of other gun manufactures that I can't remember. So I would imagine DPMS has something to do with the R-25. The person I spoke with at Remington said that they manufacture the rifle, and DPMS doesn't have any involvement, but like I said, the rifle came with a DPMS magazine. Located in SC.

Steve,

Where in SC are you? I have an offer for you. I live in Monroe NC and work in Rock Hill SC. I'm more than willing to let you try my DPMS upper on your lower to see how tight it will group. It would sure let you know how well the DPMS 16" HBAR barrel will group rounds. Bring your bore scope and lets compared the finish in the bores side by side.

I have a friend in Lancaster SC that lets me shoot in his back yard. We have a 55 yard range setup with railroad ties as a back stop and steel plate targets on it. We do have access to a 300 yard range, not far from his house, but we don't have the target stands finished yet. Let me know if your interested. It would be great to meet a fellow brother from the board. Between the two of us, let see if maybe we can save you some time, money and aggravation in the process.

Shane

Freedom Group owns em           Wash

Key Facts
Number of Years In Business: 194 Years
Number of Facilities: 14
Products Sold In Over 80 Countries
Number of Employees: Over 3,000
Largest Manufacturer of Commercial
Firearms and Ammunition
bottombar.jpg
FGI Family Company Websites
bottombar.jpg

16 minutes ago, beantown said:

Steve,

Where in SC are you? I have an offer for you. I live in Monroe NC and work in Rock Hill SC. I'm more than willing to let you try my DPMS upper on your lower to see how tight it will group. It would sure let you know how well the DPMS 16" HBAR barrel will group rounds. Bring your bore scope and lets compared the finish in the bores side by side.

I have a friend in Lancaster SC that lets me shoot in his back yard. We have a 55 yard range setup with railroad ties as a back stop and steel plate targets on it. We do have access to a 300 yard range, not far from his house, but we don't have the target stands finished yet. Let me know if your interested. It would be great to meet a fellow brother from the board. Between the two of us, let see if maybe we can save you some time, money and aggravation in the process.

Shane

Thanks for the invite. I'M at the other end of the state. Sounds like a good time, but don't get up their very often.

4 hours ago, captain23steve said:

I apologize, misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were talking about X-Caliber not being hand lapped. You were saying that the factory barrel was not hand lapped. Yes, you are absolutely correct, factory barrel is far from being hand lapped, or machined well for that matter. I really don't think it's worth trying to lap, Like I said, I have much older rifles, with barrels in far better shape. It would drive me crazy to keep it with me knowing the condition it is in. Again, apologize for the misunderstanding.

That's exactly why I recommended the Tubb Final Finish for you, before you spend money on a new barrel - when you really might not need to.  Check into the Final Finish, read up on it, and see if you think it would help you.

I think it would help you, if this is a barrel issue.

I would be willing to bet that they never changed the Barrel , & that's why they both had Pits in the Bore . Tubb's final Finnish ammo might help & for the price , might be worth a try  , but if you they are as bad as you say , maybe not .

Can't hurt to try , for the price of the Tubbs ammo.

Edited by survivalshop

• 1 month later...

Well, you guys were right on the money. Received my barrel the other day. Installed it, and had nothing but malfunctions(FTF, and stove pipe). Drilled the gas port to .093, and functions flawlessly. Thanks for the heads up. Have not had a chance to sight in yet, so we will find out the accuracy later.