• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to do with 30-06 blank brass?

dpete

I found about 100-150 of these 30-06 blank spent cases today at the shooting range.  Are they any good for anything other than the scrap bucket?  They are LC 12 headstamp.  My only thought other than scrap was to cut them down to a length where they could be reformed into .308 cases.  But then the question becomes is it worth the effort?  I have been cutting down .223 cases for 300 Blackout since I started reloading and have the saw to do it, but would a .308 sizing die handle the stress of reforming a case this size.  I've reformed .223 into Blackout and 7.62X39 into 6.5 Grendel using a blackout and Grendel sizing die.  But again is it worth the effort?  Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

IMG_2731.JPG

47 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

Obviously you're going to have to neck it up to .35 Whelen.

Then, once you have five rounds of empty .35 Whelen brass sitting around, you'll need a rifle in .35 Whelen.

Seriously, you gotta plan this stuff out.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've had way more than 5 empty 35 Whelen cases in my possession and not the first inkling of desire for a rifle.  I'm trying to hold the line.  My AR collection started with a Colt M4, then a 16" 300BLK, then an 8" 300BLK.  A .308 AR followed and coerced me into adding a 6.5 Grendel.  Feeding them is keeping me busy enough and now you think I will need a 35 Whelen?  Silly Flyer!

6 minutes ago, dpete said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've had way more than 5 empty 35 Whelen cases in my possession and not the first inkling of desire for a rifle.  I'm trying to hold the line.  My AR collection started with a Colt M4, then a 16" 300BLK, then an 8" 300BLK.  A .308 AR followed and coerced me into adding a 6.5 Grendel.  Feeding them is keeping me busy enough and now you think I will need a 35 Whelen?  Silly Flyer!

You can try fighting it, it's a sickness, you just don't know you need it yet

4 hours ago, dpete said:

Well.  The obvious answer then is reforming them into .338 Federal...  For your new .338 Fed upper receiver...  :evil: