• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for a new stock

Ranger175

Hey Guys,

New here, I just got a DPMS 308 AP4 in March. I have been lurking for a little bit and decided to become a productive member of the community haha. Well I'm looking for a new stock and am looking at the Vltor Imod and the Magpul CRT. I was wondering if anybody has owned either of these and has any comments. Also, what do you think about the Magpul MOE stock on a 308? I feel like it would be a little light and it would be better to have something a little heavier to balance out the rifle a bit better. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have the Magpul UBR and LOVE IT.  It gives a nice balance.  Some will say it's a bit heavy, but I like the feature that the cheek rest doesn't move in relation to the adjustment for length of pull.  It's also a bit more expensive that what you listed as your choices.  If you keep a watch on here or ebay you can usually find a used one if that's more for you and you want one.

First off, welcome to the forum, giving my opinion on your stock questions, and these are just my personal opinions, I find that in general, I like the CTR over the MOE. I don't really notice any weight difference between the two but the friction lock on the CTR makes it less sloppy on the receiver extension, which is something that I really hate. I think other members may disagree about the weight question,  but I like a light gun and to that end I try to use lightest components that do the job, Some people complain that the gun feels front heavy when you use a really light weight stock with a heavy or long barreled gun, which is why the UBR is so popular, besides being an excellent rock solid stock. If you are sensitive to the balance of your gun and don't like it front heavy (I know some that prefer it that way) I would recommend the UBR over the CTR, although you should be aware that the UBR adds I think, around a pound to the total weight of the gun over the CTR.

As for collapsing stocks I prefer the Magpul ACS stock or the ACE SOCOM. Although I hear the SOCOM doesn't hold up too well on the 308's. Both options will run about $120. I can't justify the cost of the UBR.

If fixed stocks are your fancy, I like the ACE ARFX for less than $100. The Magpul PRS is nice, but it costs over $200.

As said its a personal preference on the choice. I have two CTR stocked rifles ,one a 308 & the other ma 300 BLK. the CTR is a solid stock when clamped down .

I also like the ACS ,but at the time or now ,I didn't need storage space for battery's & such,but it also has the same features as the CTR .

The UBR is probably the nicest collapsible stock out there ,but ,it is on the heavy side & pricey side ,but also rock solid.

I am not impressed with the ACE Socom. Although I have not owned one ,I know others that do ,so its up to you.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, a front heavy rifle doesn't really bother me it helps a little with muzzle flip ( I had a peq 2 and surefire flashlight on my service rifle and that kept it pretty front heavy) but all have on my ap4 is the carbine free float tube and it already seems pretty front heavy. I want to get a rifle length quad rail and add some stuff. So I figured balancing it out a bit wouldn't hurt. I think the UBR is a little out of my budget for now. Storage is something else I don't really care about, hence the Vltor Imod. Nobody has used any Vltor stuff?

I haven't ever had a chance to try the Vltor. Have you seen the Troy I think it's called the Battle AX stock?  I'm thinking about testing one of those. I also,don't carry spares on my gun so don't need the storage, but it looks like it might have a good cheek rest, kind of like the ACS. If one of the other members is using the Troy, perhaps he could give his impression of it?

Thanks for the input guys, I just got a really good deal on a Vltor Imod club foot.  It was just to good to pass up. I'll probably get a Magpul UBR later when I can afford it. Since it doesn't seem that popular I'll put a review up after I sling a little lead down range.

Thanks again for the input and the welcome,