• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gun safes

dirigoboy

I've been saving up for awhile, and went out and bought one yesterday.  We've had some break-in's in my area, and I would cringe every day I left for work.  No more.  I bought a Cannon 24 gun safe.  It wasn't my first choice, but it was within my price range.  I bought it at Tractor Supply.  I would have preferred the Winchester's they just got in, but.....I'm happy, I can feel a bit more secure.  They won't be lugging it out of my cellar anyway.

post-21-13629726619_thumb.jpg

post-21-136297266191_thumb.jpg

post-21-136297266193_thumb.jpg

Nice safe and elevating it is a really good idea.

I would recommend, before anchoring it to the wall, installing a small (5-20) watt light inside the safe. When its dark the damn things breed like rabbits in the spring and before you know you need another safe. ;D

My essential security system is a very aggressive german shepherd, but no, I don't any alarm.  I'm in a very rural area, we own a bunch of acerage and it's a dead end road-----all family and we all note who comes and goes, so it's very similar to a crime watch neighborhood.

I installed a pretty expensive drain system in the cellar, and one of the items we bought was a big dehumidifier.  That cellar is dryer than a popcorn fart.  I am mulling over putting one of those rods in, though I don't know that I need it with the dehumidifier. 

Interesting phenomena regarding that light.  My sense is that for right now, I may want to leave the light off for my own survival...heh, heh.  However, I do have room for expansion.  In preparation, and with long term planning a priority, I'm taking a Creative Whining course this Summer. 

After I anchored mine to the wall and floor, I sealed all of the bolt holes and put weather stripping on the door. I keep several containers of desiccant gel in there to keep everything dry. I didn't buy any of the desiccant just collected it from all of the small packs they throw into everything...and I put gun socks one all of them.

I might be going overboard but this is an expensive hobby and I want to keep them in the best possible condition.

imschur,

What is a GSD?

IMG_0661-1-1.jpg

I don't want to turn this safe thread in to "show your dog" but you asked for a pic.  So, here's my "GSD" tip o the spear.

He's lost some weight, so he's somewhere around 100 lbs. since the on-set of Spring.  He's not fond of FedEx, UPS, Utility meter trucks, nor anyone else he doesn't recognize.  He'll rip you a new one if you can get out of your vehicle, which....is pretty much how I like it.

Btw....I'm getting better at opening the safe (I have a dial vs. electronic).  It only took me three times vs about 7 or 8 yesterday.

post-21-136297266195_thumb.jpg

post-21-136297266197_thumb.jpg

I spent a good deal of time looking at commentary and recommendations on safes, and tried to bone up on them before I bought.  As I'd said at the top, Cannon wasn't my first choice, but I think for my geographic area and what I was able to afford, it's a good fit for me.  And, it has limited life time on it, so I was satisfied, and I feel a lot better every day I leave the house.

The ONE thing I came away very sure of, was the dial vs. the electronic key mechanism.  I don't trust electronic and yeah, a dial probably take s a little longer to open....but at least I know I can open it, the rest is dependent on pilot error.