• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 fails to fire problem

lonestartroy

3 hours ago, lonestartroy said:

Will a trigger and hammer out of an AR15 work in this gun

Yes & a good idea to swap the FCG ( Trigger/Hammer ) out to make sure you don't have an issue with the FCG .

Before you do that , check the Bolt hold open on last round as was described above , then we can go from there . You can even take the FCG to the Range & swap it out there , if need be , but the BCG going back far enough by Gas Signature/impulse of fired rifle will tell us a couple of things & which direction to go .If the BCG is held back by the Bolt Stop on last round in the Mag. & if it passes , fire two rounds & see if it locks back on last round in mag , then go to three , then five , then ten & then go to twenty or what ever your full mag is . If it does hold the Bolt Open on last round , & then fails as before after a few fired rounds , change out the FCG with the std AR 15 FCG & redo the testing above ,1,2,3,5,10 rounds .

If it doesn't lock the BCG on last round , it could be short on gas when warmed up , an adj. could be made to open the Adj. Gas Block up , for a more efficient gas impulse .

One thing at a time , to narrow it down .

Slop the lube on the FCG also , try to keep lubricant from the inside of the Chamber . Some here swear on Moble 1 synthetic oil for break in , but I have never used it on any rifle , but all builds are different .

Edited by survivalshop

Well went to the range today and tried the one round in the mag and it locked back just fine.  I adjusted the gas block screw in each time I fired a round about a half a turn and it continued to cycle fine even after the screw bottomed out and was all the way in.  I did notice that my brass was now coming out behind me, which I like.  Any way I fired probably 40+ rounds and it never did not fire and functioned perfectly, with the exception on the charging handle.  It would pop back when I fired sometimes.  It has an extended lever on it and the spring does not have much tension.  Think I will just buy a new one.  I guess the thing just needed to be fired with a lot of lube at first.  Took it out three different times and it messed up and now fires perfectly.  Going to clean it up and re-lube it one more time and shoot it again.  If it still does not have an issue I am going to call it fixed.  Should the gas block screw be in all the way and still cycle fine?  I have no idea what brand it is.  Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it.

7 hours ago, blue109 said:

Interesting. I've noticed my raptor CH popps loose from my matrix as well. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying. I was thinking of grinding the shelf a little deeper. @jtallen83 @98Z5V or the other matrix builds...Any issue with charging handle?

Neither my 308 or 5.56 Matrix builds have had any issues with charging handles. I have used the Mech Armor CQB and the Raptor on the 5.56, BCM gunfighter on the 308. I'm hoping to put the Mech Armor on the 308 build as soon as they are in stock again.

18 hours ago, blue109 said:

Interesting. I've noticed my raptor CH popps loose from my matrix as well. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying. I was thinking of grinding the shelf a little deeper. @jtallen83 @98Z5V or the other matrix builds...Any issue with charging handle?

BCM large latch in mine - doesn't pop loose, at all.  Only 60 rounds down the pipe thus far on the .338 Fed, but it's cycled a buuuunch of times.

Well took it to the deer lease and bench rest shot it.  Getting about 3/4" group at 100 yards and is cycling fine.  Before shooting it I noticed that the latch on the charging handle did not seat flat against the received notch that it is supposed to rest in.  I took a file and ground it down so it had more contact with the raised notch.  After firing it again I noticed that it still popped back.  The spring on the lock is not very strong.  Think I will get a new charging handle for it.  The notch where it rests also looks a little worn.  Hopefully a new handle with take care of the issue.  Thanks for every ones suggestions.  I'm happy with the grouping and the fact that it cycles fine.  Hopefully shoot a hog with it soon.