• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR-10 Buffer

Sardog72781

Good morning Everyone!

I know there is a buffer question on here already. But it doesn't answer my question. What determines the best buffer weight and spring length? I am thinking about buying an 18" barrel with mid-lentgh gas port for my AR-10 build. Can I use a carbine buffer and spring with that? Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, Sardog72781 said:

Good morning Everyone!

I know there is a buffer question on here already. But it doesn't answer my question. What determines the best buffer weight and spring length? I am thinking about buying an 18" barrel with mid-lentgh gas port for my AR-10 build. Can I use a carbine buffer and spring with that? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section 

Depends on a couple of factors , 

Are you using an Armalite Carbine Receiver Extension ( Buffer tube ) & the correct 308 Buffer spring , which should using be an AR 15 Buffer.  If so you can use the different weight AR 15 Buffers , H1 , H2 , H3 . 

Or do you have a DPMS/SR25 type Rifle & calling it an AR 10 , then thats a whole different answer , because DPMS uses only one Carbine 308 Spring & one 308 Carbine Buffer , unless you want to pay for a custom made one ( Heavy Buffers ) & its Spring ( Todds Flat wire Spring )

As far as what or how to determine which weight will work the best , testing is really the only way, but for the DPMS/SR25 type , the std. DPMS Components work fine & the AR 10 , a H2 buffer with their Spring . Some like adj. Gas Blocks to really tune their Gas System .

Its all about what you have & what you are looking to accomplish .  

Edited by survivalshop

Survivalshop, I have a DPMS (Aero precision) upper and lower. I would like as smooth an action as possible with in a reasonable $ range.

So what I gather from your statement is; use a "DPMS" compatible buffer and spring with a mid-length gas system. Right?

Is the difference in Armalite and "DPMS" versions the part size.. i.e. buffer tube diameter, and upper barrel orifice size? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why the two aren't compatible. Thanks for the help!!

38 minutes ago, Sardog72781 said:

Survivalshop, I have a DPMS (Aero precision) upper and lower. I would like as smooth an action as possible with in a reasonable $ range.

So what I gather from your statement is; use a "DPMS" compatible buffer and spring with a mid-length gas system. Right?

Is the difference in Armalite and "DPMS" versions the part size.. i.e. buffer tube diameter, and upper barrel orifice size? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why the two aren't compatible. Thanks for the help!!

Also bolt face? IIRC 

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

Sardog, whether you have an Armalite or DPMS upper has absolutely no bearing on what buffer and spring you use! The question is, do you have an Armalite or DPMS length BUFFER TUBE? The Armalite tube is 7&5/8" internal length and will use AR-15 carbine buffers. The DPMS type buffer tubes are 7" internal length (same as an AR-15 carbine buffer tube) and require the use of the shorter DPMS 308 buffers and springs.

Think of it like this...

The 308AR has a longer carrier than an AR15..So it needs more room to operate. DPMS and armalite went about solving the issue 2 different ways.

DPMS decided to use a standard AR15 buffer tube with a special shortened buffer.

ARMAILITE decided to use a standard AR15 buffer with a longer buffer tube. 

For rifle length stocks, they both use standard AR15 rifle extensions with shortened buffers.

You can use either complete system on either style rifle, just be sure you aren't mixing and matching.

Not sure there is really a best weight. All these guns are different and a little quirky. Most like heavier buffers, some don't. You can run a carbine setup on an 18" mid no problem. 

• 4 years later...