• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New 45ACP Shield

mineralman55

On 4/20/2017 at 8:34 PM, 98Z5V said:

The writing is on the wall now, clear as day...  In about 4 weeks, we're gonna see a BUNCH of new Shield owners ...

Already happened.  Didn't take long at all, but it already happened... 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Already happened.  Didn't take long at all, but it already happened... 

If i didn't have a small fortune dedicated to a ridiculous round that makes me smile i would find another way to waste $.. shits happend...

Hey MM, have you carried it IWB yet? I just got my 45 and the "traction" on the grip is like 40gr sandpaper! I've read that some people are lightly sanding their pistols down a bit so it doesn't cause abrasions. 

Funny thing is that I LOVE the trigger pull on the 45 much more than the 9mm. Might just be my two pistols but there seems to be a world of difference between them or maybe I just need to break the 9 in.

Edited by Malig8r
Double tap on auto correct spelling

1 hour ago, mineralman55 said:

Here's the CYA Kevlar weave IWB holster. Cool looks.

cya_1.jpg

cya_2.jpg

cya_3.jpg

Thanks for posting that.  Mine looks exactly like that and now I don't have to take more pictures.  :laffs:

I carried it for a little bit yesterday to see how it felt.  It was comfortable enough while sitting there, but it is vastly different than how I carry my FN45.  It will take some getting used to and LOTS of practice before I am confident with it and want to depend on it.  I haven't even shot it yet.

Nice looking rig MIneralman55 !!  I tried a Kydex only holster for my Sig P320 in .45 but it was putting too  much pressure on my hip (close to 64 ) and Vedder took it back and exchanged it for a Comfort Tuck for me and that bit of leather helps out a lot.  I have carried this  Shield .45 in a CrossBreed Holster that I have for my Taurus Millennium GII 9mm and fits pretty darn nice.

Malig8r,  I used an emery board and lightly sanded down some of the stippling on my Shield 45.  It still have plenty of grip, but I like it a lot better that way.  Really nice pistol and decent accuracy for such a light weight  short barrel 45.

Just went down and checked one out at my favorite GS. Don't particularly like the trigger. Do like the weight. Going to stick with my Iver Johnson 1911 3" Thrasher for now. I have a DeSantis leather paddle holster for it I really like. Can carry it cocked and locked with a thumbsnap under the hammer for a little extra security.

11 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Just went down and checked one out at my favorite GS. Don't particularly like the trigger. Do like the weight. Going to stick with my Iver Johnson 1911 3" Thrasher for now. I have a DeSantis leather paddle holster for it I really like. Can carry it cocked and locked with a thumbsnap under the hammer for a little extra security.

They make a version from S&W Performance Center with a lighter trigger (5.5# IIRC),a ported barrel and either Trijicon or fiber optic sights.  It adds a couple hundred dollars to it though.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

They make a version from S&W Performance Center with a lighter trigger (5.5# IIRC),a ported barrel and either Trijicon or fiber optic sights.  It adds a couple hundred dollars to it though.

Actually saw a 3" barreled Kimber 45 acp 1911 that is drawing me back like a magnet. More to follow........ 

1 hour ago, sketch said:

.. xds .45 is a winner.. plane?..plane?.. im a 65b enabler.:fullauto:

Yes it is, big time.

I changed a few things on mine as soon as I got it. Picked it up in May 2013.  Installed a larger grip safety, larger mag release, and a trigger spring kit, all parts from Powder River Precision. The spring kit did WONDERS for the trigger pull.  Now, they have an improved sear that comes with the springs... 

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yes it is, big time.

I changed a few things on mine as soon as I got it. Picked it up in May 2013.  Installed a larger grip safety, larger mag release, and a trigger spring kit, all parts from Powder River Precision. The spring kit did WONDERS for the trigger pull.  Now, they have an improved sear that comes with the springs... 

Better enabler!!!  Im a good shot (I think) with the xds thanks!  

On 5/1/2017 at 9:59 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

For those of us who got a 45 Shield recently, here is a reasonably priced 7 round mag, $22.99.

https://www.themagshack.com/shop/smith-wesson-mp-shield-45-acp-7-round-magazine/

Thanks!  I ordered the 7 round mag.  Even with shipping is cheaper than the same one at midwayusa (31.99)

Ever notice the odd groves on the slide?  Was told by S&W that they are there to slow down the slide... then they said another time it's to help slow down feeding the bullet into battery.  Not on any of my SIG Sauer pistols, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just curious.  In this day and age of everything being digital, why does it take 8-10 weeks to process this rebate?

I know they delay it long enough to get you to forget about it.  That way, when it never shows up, you don't even remember that you sent it in and won't complain to them.

9 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I'm just curious.  In this day and age of everything being digital, why does it take 8-10 weeks to process this rebate?

It's gonna take them that long to deal with all those new PA-10 owners that also got the Shield...  :laffs::lmao:

Wait for it... WAIT for it...   :banana:

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2017 at 3:06 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I know they delay it long enough to get you to forget about it.  That way, when it never shows up, you don't even remember that you sent it in and won't complain to them.

Did you receive the apology email from S&W? We're sorry it's taking so long to send out the checks yada yada...

I ended up calling them when I received a letter dated May 31st but postmarked June 26th stating I had entered an invalid serial number. S&W transferred me to MPS (company handling the rebate) and it went to voicemail stating they would callback next business day.

Ended up going back to S&W website to "chat" with a customer service agent, explained situation and said that I had purchased 3 firearms and was curious as to which one was invalid...expressed my disillusionment with entire process and she provided a different direct phone number and offered to stay on line as I called.

In the end, they apologized, stated that two of the checks had already been mailed out and the third would be mailed out shortly now that the "issue had been resolved."

I purchased these pistols the first week of April :bat: so in the end it will have taken closer to 16 weeks. But hey, "The checks in the mail" :laffs: