• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA10 GEN 2 Range report

odie64

After getting the muzzle brake pinned and welded and the correct bolt catch installed, I was able to take the PSA PA10 to the range tonight. I only ran 60 rounds through  it tonight , but it ran without a hitch. Feeding, ejecting and cycling were uneventful. I only shot it tonight to get the Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism sight dialed in. I am not the best at zeroing optics but it only took 2 groups of five to get a good base zero. I was resting on the bench and was somewhat sloppy but managed to get it to shoot to point of aim. I was somewhat concerned about the PSA PA10 after reading all the comments on the teething problems they have been having. Mine is a Gen 2 upper and lower and I used a DPMS spec BCG from a different manufacturer. At this time I have no function issues and the brass cases look good,  only a random few  have a slight ding to the case mouth. I think that was from the shells that hit the Brass deflector. the  pics are of the rifle, a five shot group verifying a rough zero( with a flyer high left) and some quick shot offhand shooting at 25 yards

The guy next to me in the lane to the right was also shooting a PSA PA10... thought that was pretty cool

csa1.jpg

csa2.jpg

csa3.jpg

Edited by odie64

3 hours ago, Herk308 said:

So PSA has figured out how to make a .308 that actually chambers ammo?  I wish that had been the case when I bought mine...

Herk308

Everything that I have read about PSA functioning issues seems to be caused by a too strong extractor spring. I used a DPMS Spec Nickel Boron coated BCG from Plus 1 Armory. I cant swear that is the answer and I only have 60 rds. through my PA 10 at this time, but the results are looking promising.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:15 PM, Sisco said:

Herk, raise some hell with PSA and see if they will make it right.

I did and they responded by saying that they were voiding my warranty because I had put a low-profile gas block on the gun.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I called PSA up and asked to speak with the customer service manager and he told me that PSA clearly states in their warranty that "modification" of the gun is cause for voiding the warranty.  Since this seems to apply to 100% reversible modifications (like different gas blocks), I would guess that this is a "gotcha!" in PSA's warranty that allows them to use literally anything as an excuse to wash their hands of any of their products that have been sold and don't work.

I should have put the old gas block back on the PA10 before sending it back to the warranty department, but it never occurred to me that that would be used as a reason to void my warranty.  Lesson learned, I guess.  :embarrassed:

On 5/20/2017 at 10:45 PM, odie64 said:

Herk308

Everything that I have read about PSA functioning issues seems to be caused by a too strong extractor spring. I used a DPMS Spec Nickel Boron coated BCG from Plus 1 Armory. I cant swear that is the answer and I only have 60 rds. through my PA 10 at this time, but the results are looking promising.

There were very large burrs in my PA10's chamber.  Rounds that I would attempt to chamber would have to be mortared out HARD and when they did come out, they looked like they'd been dropped on gravel and then stepped on.  They were very badly gouged/dented all over the body of the case.  On some rounds that could go into the chamber a little farther than others (the bolt still wouldn't fully close), there were rifling striations on the bullet ogive, which seemed odd to me too.

The extractor spring might have been at fault too, but those chamber burrs were certainly creating feeding issues.

1 minute ago, Herk308 said:

I did and they responded by saying that they were voiding my warranty because I had put a low-profile gas block on the gun.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I called PSA up and asked to speak with the customer service manager and he told me that PSA clearly states in their warranty that "modification" of the gun is cause for voiding the warranty.  Since this seems to apply to 100% reversible modifications (like different gas blocks), I would guess that this is a "gotcha!" in PSA's warranty that allows them to use literally anything as an excuse to wash their hands of any of their products that have been sold and don't work.

I should have put the old gas block back on the PA10 before sending it back to the warranty department, but it never occurred to me that that would be used as a reason to void my warranty.  Lesson learned, I guess.  :embarrassed:

There were very large burrs in my PA10's chamber.  Rounds that I would attempt to chamber would have to be mortared out HARD and when they did come out, they looked like they'd been dropped on gravel and then stepped on.  They were very badly gouged/dented all over the body of the case.  On some rounds that could go into the chamber a little farther than others (the bolt still wouldn't fully close), there were rifling striations on the bullet ogive, which seemed odd to me too.

The extractor spring might have been at fault too, but those chamber burrs were certainly creating feeding issues.

Have you got your PA10 functioning now? My was built with Gen 2 upper, lower and a PSA (FN?) 14.7" barrel. I am hoping they have corrected their teething issues. It is too early to tell with mine but it is looking promising at this time.

33 minutes ago, Herk308 said:

Whoa! Man that sucks! It is good for people to know that too, but rough on you. Did you ever get it straightened out or did you send it on it's way?

Unfortunately, I just sold it.  I suppose that I could have had a gunsmith ream out the chamber or something, but I was so angry with how PSA treated me that I just wanted that thing gone; I didn't even want a reminder that PSA existed!

3 hours ago, odie64 said:

Have you got your PA10 functioning now? My was built with Gen 2 upper, lower and a PSA (FN?) 14.7" barrel. I am hoping they have corrected their teething issues. It is too early to tell with mine but it is looking promising at this time.

Well, if yours actually chambered and fired ammunition, then you got a better gun than I did!  I hope that a reputable company (like FN) built your barrel so that you don't have the burred chamber issue that I had.  When mine crapped the bed on me there wasn't a Gen 2 yet so perhaps the Gen 2 exists to fix all that was wrong with the original?  In any case, all that matters is that yours works.

PSA didn't publicly acknowledge it, but lots of folks who had issues saw the initial posts here concerning their issues, and steered newcomers away from them. They took notice and started fixing it with Gen 2 to try and gain a better market share. If they had just done right by the folks that initially had issues, they could've foregone having to market a Gen 2 product. I hope they lose their butts for quite a while over the whole debacle.

• 9 months later...

Not exactly the right thread but I thought I would try it here.

When I received my PA10 gen 2 assembled upper and had to wait a long time for them to produce a lower with a fixed stock I sent an email asking when they would finally make it. I made a wise crack about how I hoped it would be before the warranty on the upper expired. PSA responded that as long as I didn't remove the barrel not it would be in warranty. I doubt they can be held to this but I thought it might be interesting to hear in light of how they treated herk308. I eventually bought a lower from a retail store, still PSA but at least I didn't have to deal with them directly.

Glad your rifle is shooting good for you Odie64 and The Father. The PA10 sure had some teething problems. I think it still does, even in the PA10 Gen 2's. I think all of them should come with an adjustable gas block, PERIOD. And, their buffer tubes/buffer combo's should be better QC'd. My bcg/buffer tube/buffer combo was out of time, and the bcg was striking the receiver end during firing. I had to put a couple quarters in mine to get it timed right. Plus, they should all come with H3 buffers, not the light weight H buffers. After seeing Bfoosh06's threads on this I made some mods to mine to address those issues. Now my rifle shoots pretty well, and is pleasant to shoot. In my opinion it should come from the factory ready to go, with no need to make those tweaks.

My PA15 didn't need ANYTHING, and it's been running like a top. However, being an AR15 platform they have a spec to go by for their rifles.