• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mk11 Mod0 Clone, Need a stripped upper, Genesis CNC not responding

Hello all,

I figured I would start with what I am currently working on as my first 308 based AR build. I found myself a great deal on a Knights Armament Mk11 rail and iron sight set. I wanted to try to put together a good looking clone/inspired by build using these parts but did not want to break the bank by starting with a $4k SR25 rifle. I started to piece everything together and am extremely happy with where I am at. However I need one last vital part: a stripped upper receiver that has a the Armalite/KAC/LMT/LaRue angled cut on the rear but has the KAC/DPMS barrel nut threads to work with the KAC handguard.

This brings me to the Genesis CNC stripped upper. It fits the bill perfectly and I ordered one as soon as I found it. That was nearly 2 months ago now. I ordered it fully knowing they were "backordered" but just didn't know how backordered they were. Genesis initially answered a few quick emails with questions before I ordered however they have been radio silent since then. No social media responses, no email responses, no phone responses, no call backs on a voicemail. I'm not bugging them every day, I just send out a message once every week or two to see if they respond. Nothing so far.

This lead me to this forum, it looks like a great resource for everything 308 AR related and I see Genesis CNC is a site sponsor. My question to you all is anyone that has one of these uppers, how do you like it? What lower are you using it with? Everything fit up nicely and work correctly? Anybody order one before on backorder and how long did it take to ship?

I will be using it with an Armalite AR-10A style lower that accepts Knights SR25 mags.

Side note: If anyone is selling a stripped upper that will work for what I need I am interested, especially a stripped Genesis CNC upper.

A couple photos of where the build currently is.

0fMbtBx.jpg

n3i2o49.jpg

Get ahold of Chris Reideman at Live Free Armory (in Florida).  Ask him if he's still got some Matrix Aerospace stripped uppers that are DPMS-threaded.  That would be a quick answer, and you could just bolt it together, basically.   Pin diameter might be something to check on, takedown and pivot diameters.  Worth asking him those dimensions, and knowing yours prior to the call.  Give it a shot.

Thank you for the response. The matrix aerospace uppers did come up in my research I just only ever found them as a set and never just the upper. I will have to give Chris a call and try my luck there. 

I think my only problem with the that upper was it had a forward assist and I was wanting one without. At this point I don't mind having one just to get it shooting while I wait for the Genesis upper to ship. 

Edited by JSchell1308

3 hours ago, JSchell1308 said:

Thank you for the response. The matrix aerospace uppers did come up in my research I just only ever found them as a set and never just the upper. I will have to give Chris a call and try my luck there. 

As guruofhotrod linked to, my Matrix upper will not mate with my Armalite AR-10B lower. It has Armalite threads for the barrel nut but I doubt if the DPMS threaded version would be any different.

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

The KAC Barrel Nut is DPMS threaded ?

DPMS/SR-25 uppers have a 1 7/16"-16 pitch thread so require a nut with the same thread. Armalite/Noveske uppers have a 1 7/16"-18 pitch. 

That is what has come up when I research the difference between KAC and Armalite thread pitch. That's even from this forum too. 

51 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

As guruofhotrod linked to, my Matrix upper will not mate with my Armalite AR-10B lower. It has Armalite threads for the barrel nut but I doubt if the DPMS threaded version would be any different.

Thank you for this. I doubt then that the matrix upper will mate with my AR-10A lower.

Back to square one and the indefinite and silent wait for Genesis to ship off backorder. 

49 minutes ago, JSchell1308 said:

DPMS/SR-25 uppers have a 1 7/16"-16 pitch thread so require a nut with the same thread. Armalite/Noveske uppers have a 1 7/16"-18 pitch. 

That is what has come up when I research the difference between KAC and Armalite thread pitch. That's even from this forum too. 

Why couldn't you have a copy of the Barrel nut made with the Armalite spec's ? I say this because , using a different manufacturers Upper on a Armalite Lower , you may have some Tolerance Stacking with fitment . From what has been posted here , there are differences in the "A " & " B" model Armalite Lower & Upper receivers , getting a "A " Model Armalite Upper to match the Armalite Lower would eliminate any Tolerance Stacking & that Nut should be easy for a good machinist to copy with the correct Armalite threads .

I bring this up because of all the issues we have seen here with mixed Receivers & there have been many . Good luck :thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

Mega is a possibility, if you know someone that has one to try out - even though Mega says it only works with their lower...  Worth looking at, and seeing if/what the interference is...

http://www.megaarms.com/maten/upper-receivers/standard-billet-upper/

Found one that had info:

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/snipers-hide®-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-semi-auto-rifles/140521-help-ar10-mega-armalite-build

IMG_2028.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Mega is a possibility, if you know someone that has one to try out - even though Mega says it only works with their lower...  Worth looking at, and seeing if/what the interference is...

http://www.megaarms.com/maten/upper-receivers/standard-billet-upper/

Found one that had info:

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/snipers-hide®-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-semi-auto-rifles/140521-help-ar10-mega-armalite-build

Nice find and thanks for the link. I knew MEGA were close but never found proof they would work. found an upper for $285. I may do this just to get the rifle  up and running then swap them out if and when Genesis ever ships.

23 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

Nice find, thanks for that. 

I'm on the fence, I'm really wanting to get this rifle up and shooting but don't want to put it all together just to do it over again when the Genesis upper ships. Going for that KAC clone style look so the MEGA will stick out like a sore thumb. 

Edited by JSchell1308

The easy answer is this - that Mega stripped upper gets you running now, until your permanent solution. Once you finally complete that rifle, you have a sweet stripped upper to match a very nice billet lower, and start another large-frame build.  :thumbup:

28 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The easy answer is this - that Mega stripped upper gets you running now, until your permanent solution. Once you finally complete that rifle, you have a sweet stripped upper to match a very nice billet lower, and start another large-frame build.  :thumbup:

Damn the logic is sound. You are 100% right that if I have that upper laying around after everything it would start another build. 

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I hate to be an instigator :hornet: but, here's that sweet lower 98 speaks of on sale!

http://www.primaryarms.com/mega-arms-ambi-maten-billet-lower-m308-0554-ha