• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Adams Arms .308

Spyro29

Hello everyone,

Long time gun hobbyist here who has just gotten my first jump into the AR world. I decided to go with an Adams Arms AASF-308 right out of the gate. I just got it a few days ago and it's a blank slate so I haven't even fired a round yet...but I have been doing a fair bit of reading. It appears that many folks have had a cycling problem with this rifle? Some say it is an undergas problem, others have sworn it's a magazine issue and have posted diy fixes on YouTube. Obviously I am a bit disheartened reading this before I've even shot my new gun yet.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there with this gun who has had some experience first hand. Have you had issues with cycling? How did you fix it? Has anyone's AASF-308 worked great no issues out of the box? The gun has a warranty, but it doesn't transfer past the original owner, so I am kinda in it for better or worse with this gun and I need to figure out how to get it to work reliably. I just want to have it be reliable, I wanted it to be for home defense as well, and from what I have read, the reliability of this thing can be questionable. Any and all thoughts, tips, and considerations are welcomed and appreciated!

Howdy from the Texas side of the borders.  As Shepp says, lube it well (Mobile 1 on the BCG works for me), start with one round and work your way up.  I've never had a store bought AR so I can't help you with that model, but take it a step at a time and see what happens.  I have had to enlarge gas ports, dial adjustable gas blocks up and down, change springs and buffers, and other fixes to "tune" new builds, but that is part of the fun.

Welcome from Iowa, via Virginia!

Don't jinx yourself, most people don't post up when their new rifle works fine so when you search the internet you tend to hear all the problems. Rest assured if there are problems the crowd here can walk you through a fix near every time!

Hey everyone thanks for the warm welcome and insight, much appreciated. I've got some Troy iron sights on order now so once I get those on I'll be off to the range next chance I get.

Just to  summarize, from what I gather the plan should be to lube the BCG, then go one round at a time making sure the bolt locks back each time. I will update back to this thread to let you know how it goes, hopefully it'll be smooth sailing.

7 hours ago, EngrBob said:

Edited by Spyro29

21 minutes ago, Spyro29 said:

Hey everyone thanks for the warm welcome and insight, much appreciated. I've got some Troy iron sights on order now so once I get those on I'll be off to the range next chance I get.

Just to  summarize, from what I gather the plan should be to lube the BCG, then go one round at a time making sure the bolt locks back each time. I will update back to this thread to let you know how it goes, hopefully it'll be smooth sailing.

Yea once you've got that astablished (a few times put a few rounds in make sure it picks up the next and all that. If it does all that rock and roll! Don't be liberal with the oil either, she'll like it wet and sloppy 

• 3 months later...
On 6/8/2017 at 11:40 PM, Spyro29 said:

Hello everyone,

Long time gun hobbyist here who has just gotten my first jump into the AR world. I decided to go with an Adams Arms AASF-308 right out of the gate. I just got it a few days ago and it's a blank slate so I haven't even fired a round yet...but I have been doing a fair bit of reading. It appears that many folks have had a cycling problem with this rifle? Some say it is an undergas problem, others have sworn it's a magazine issue and have posted diy fixes on YouTube. Obviously I am a bit disheartened reading this before I've even shot my new gun yet.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there with this gun who has had some experience first hand. Have you had issues with cycling? How did you fix it? Has anyone's AASF-308 worked great no issues out of the box? The gun has a warranty, but it doesn't transfer past the original owner, so I am kinda in it for better or worse with this gun and I need to figure out how to get it to work reliably. I just want to have it be reliable, I wanted it to be for home defense as well, and from what I have read, the reliability of this thing can be questionable. Any and all thoughts, tips, and considerations are welcomed and appreciated!

One thing to remember is that a lot, probably a majority of folks that show up on forums are looking to get a problem solved, most that have well functioning rifles just don't bother to say that every thing is okay.  If you already have the piece lube it up and do the break in and then you will know for yourself good, bad or ugly.

52 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

One thing to remember is that a lot, probably a majority of folks that show up on forums are looking to get a problem solved, most that have well functioning rifles just don't bother to say that every thing is okay.  If you already have the piece lube it up and do the break in and then you will know for yourself good, bad or ugly.

All the advice you need is right there.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

Amen