• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My New Baby

jfeenin

This is my new AR-10.  It's factory stock except for the Ergo grip and the Walther red dot if that even counts.  It's a NY legal 10A4CBF-2 since I haven't managed to escape this state.  yet.  Now that I have something to aim with I will be trying it out next weekend.

normal__MG_2174.jpg

normal__MG_2172.jpg

I have my concerns about the cheap red dot but it'll have to do for now.  has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Yeah I ordered it before doing research first.  I needed something quick to shoot with.  We'll see how it goes.  I did read some review of people using them on AR-15's but an AR-15 and AR-10 are two different animals recoil-wise.  So like you said it's gonna be a durability test of sorts. 

I had actually hoped to use the iron sights from my AR-15 on or swap my ACOG.  However my ACOG has 5.56 graduations and I like it where it is.  It turns out my front iron sights are for level rails and the front sight is too short. Which brings me to the next question...

I see a lot of sight options marked AR-15.  Are the AR-10 sight base heights the same so they can be used on an AR-10 as well or do I need to use AR-10 specific ones?

Simple fix. JD machine, DPMS and PRI all make raised .308 rail height gas blocks. They run from about $40-$75. The swap is easy enough that you don't need an armorer to do it for you. Once the new raised rail gas block is installed, you can use your low profile sights again.

You could also swap your handguard with a long Magpul MOE ($35) and then slap on a itty-bitty top rail ($7).

I almost forgot to mention...

Since I don't know what kind of sights you have. I wanted to point out that Magpul recommends AGAINST putting their MBUS sights on a railed gas block. They mention that the heat of the GB could damage the polymer sights.

On the flip side that could just be a "CYA" type disclaimer in case something ever were to happen. That way they can't be held responsible. The JD and the PRI versions of the railed gas blocks look to be either bulky enough, or skeletonized enough, to keep a large percentage of heat from the sights. I also believe the Magpul sights are pretty dang sturdy. I have no doubt they can handle a little warmth. I might be a little more weary if I were shooting full auto... But that's not the case for me.

LET US KNOW HOW YOUR FIRST SHOOT GOES!

Uncle ArmaLite

This is my new AR-10.  It's factory stock except for the Ergo grip and the Walther red dot if that even counts.  It's a NY legal 10A4CBF-2 since I haven't managed to escape this state.  yet.  Now that I have something to aim with I will be trying it out next weekend.

normal__MG_2174.jpg

normal__MG_2172.jpg

I have my concerns about the cheap red dot but it'll have to do for now.  has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Nice AR-10, I shot my new one yesterday, shoots great .If your looking for a sturdy red DOT I have been using the Bushnell Trophy model 73-0132p. about 150.00 bucks. I have had it on my .450 Bushmaster  (which kicks similar to my AR-10) for about 100 rounds and no problems. The only bad thing is there is no auto shut off, like i was used to on my EO Tech. I have gone through three batteries forgetting  to turn it off. If you have Academy sports Up there , I found one of these for 119.00

.http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=BUS730132P&id=BUS730132P&l=FROOGLE

Sweet looking.  Thanks for that link.  An I've bought some photography stuff from them before.  They are one of the two NYC camera dealers I trust.  Definitely worth considering.  I really like the EoTech idea though but this is looking like a real contender. 

good find imschur!

Jfeenin, I actually sold my EoTech and bought two Bushnell red dots for that price, granted the EOTech is pretty sturdy, but I made the mistake of storing it with batteries in it. they fouled up the connections in the battery cap. I could have replaced the battery cap for $30, but am pleased with the performance of the Bushnell up to this point. and was able to get one for my  AR-15 and My .450BM. I would say If you have extra $$ get the EOTech. If money weren't an object I would buy ACOGS for all my rifles... ;D

I have to admit I have been looking at reviews of this optic on and off all day.  Everywhere I look it gets pretty decent reviews overall.  The biggest complaint is the weigh but it's only about an ounce and a half more than my ACOG. 

There are always the crew that pan any optic that costs less than $500 but I simply can't afford another ACOG right now.  The more I look at this the more I think it will do everything I want and more and with the difference in cash I can put a free float tube on the front too.  I only wish I had seen this before I ordered the Walther.

Is it as good as an ACOG?  I doubt it and I wouldn't expect it to be.  However is it good enough for what I need?  I expect it probably is.  I hope to order it next paycheck and find out.  I'll put the Walther on my 22 target pistol or something.

OK Th AR-10 has gone to the range.  I am happy to report that the rifle functioned absolutely flawlessly.  The red dot also worked well I must say.  The reticle is a bit busy in practice for my liking.  Another reason to consider the Bushnell.  I am extremely happy with the rifle I must say!

OK, I hope I didn't speak too soon.  I always clean my rifles before putting them away.  I was just cleaning the AR-10 and I am looking at the extractor and it's not looking quite right.  I never really paid much attention before shooting it but this just doesn't look right to me.  I only put about 100 rounds through it, I wouldn't expect that to cause any wear yet.

Does this extractor look funky to anyone else besides me?  Should I be concerned about this?

normal__MG_2176.jpg

normal__MG_2180.jpg

Interesting.  I found the following image in the AR-10 Faq page elsewhere.  It's a little blurry but seems to have this same distinctive "chip" missing in the extractor...

ar10andar15bolts.jpg

It's interesting because I went back and looked at my empty boxes.  I only fired 60 rounds.  As much as I would have loved to have done more the others at the range were clearly affected by the report of the Armalite.  They weren't mean about it and they didn't ask me to stop or anything but the one gentleman was trying to teach his wife to shoot a 22 and she jumped every time I fired.  So I figured I would be courteous but anyway that's another story. 

Wow.  You're a nice guy.  I would have stayed.  I get so little time to shoot any more.  But then again, the range I belong to has a 25, 50, 100, 200 and 600 yard ranges.  So the .22's usually stay on the 25 or 50, and I'm up on one of the others. <thumbsup>

Hmm. The photo's you posted I can only see the face of the bolt carrier.  It looks like the finish is stippled.  But that could be from the bolt rotating.  The ones I had in the service (M16A2, XM177, M4) were all polished from what was probably 10,000's of round over their service life.  You're is only 60 in.  I would say if there is a definitive chip, take a nice clear photo and send it to Armalite Guy on here and see what he says.

If he says bring it in, take a trip to Geneseo Ill to have it repaired.  Call me (as I live near there) and after it's fixed, we'll go SHOOTING!  <thumbsup>

Thanks Weaponizer.  I Googled it and that didn't come up.  Seems it's not much of an issue.  The white-ish looking wear on the bolt is "enhanced" by the camera flash and the angle I took the picture at.  It doesn't really look that bad in real life.  Camera flash's are great for making things like that (and dust) look about 100x more prevalent.  I tore the gun down and oiled it before use and there was no visible wear on the bolt anywhere.  Or anywhere else for that matter.  I was a bit paranoid about it because when I bought it, since it came in the plastic case, the guy at the gun shop didn't bother to put it back in the cardboard box when he gave it to me.  So without the box I was left asking Uncle Armalite here to match exactly what model it was from the SN.  Just so I knew exactly what I had bought.