• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

At least Congress is doing SOMETHING...

Once in awhile, in the last 8+ years, they get off their asses and do SOMETHING...  This one is for veterans...

They must not have told McCain they were doing this - that fukbag.

Pro-Gun Members of Congress Seek to Protect Veterans, Preserve Historically Significant Firearms

Friday, June 30, 2017

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170630/pro-gun-members-of-congress-seek-to-protect-veterans-preserve-historically-significant-firearms

U.S. Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR) and U.S. Representative David P. Roe (R-TN) this week introduced bills to create a 180-day amnesty period for veterans or their family members to register historic war mementos that would be considered regulated firearms under the National Firearms Act (NFA).  

Pending as S. 1435 and H.R. 3054, both of these bills would apply to items acquired overseas before October 31, 1968.  This legislation would allow for the lawful possession and transfer of historically significant armaments and protect veterans from potential criminal liability for purely technical violations of the law that do not endanger public safety.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces serving overseas in combat zones have over the years brought home a variety of mementos from their deployments. In some cases, these have included captured firearms of the type that require registration and the payment of a special tax under the NFA. Such legal technicalities, however, were presumably not foremost on the minds of the brave young service persons who had survived the ordeal of war and simply wanted to resume their normal lives in America.

Over the years these firearms have sat harmlessly idle in untold numbers of attics, basements, and barns. For the veterans who owned them and their families, however, these relics represent potent reminders of freedom’s heavy cost. 

The NFA normally requires firearms to be registered at their time of their manufacture or transfer. Private possession of unregistered firearms is illegal. Congress passed legislation in 1968 that granted a brief, limited amnesty period to register war trophies, but with the primitive means of communication available at the time, most veterans were unaware of that opportunity or learned too late to take advantage of it. This left very few options for lawful preservation of the affected firearms. Even relatives or heirs who discover these firearms and wish to dispossess themselves of them could face criminal prosecution for their possession. 

These bills would allow veterans or their family members to come into full compliance with the law and ensure that these valuable and historically significant items were not lost to future generations. The bills also provide for various means of publicizing the amnesty period, including via the Internet. If the present owner of the firearm proved ineligible to possess it, the bills allow for its transfer to a qualifying museum during the five-year period after it is forfeited to the government.

NRA fully supports S. 1435 and H.R. 3054, and appreciates Sen. Cotton's and Rep. Roe’s leadership in this important effort.

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, sketch said:

is this for just nfa worthy items such as full auto or sbr type? what if they are semi? no need to register in my state if ownership before the 1st of this year? i have none just asking..

Both bills are identical, right now, both the House and Senate versions. 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3054/text?q={"search"%3A["HR+3054"]}&r=1

H.R.3054 - To provide an amnesty period during which veterans and their family members can register certain firearms in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record, and for other purposes.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1435/text?q={"search"%3A["S+1435"]}&r=1

S.1435 - A bill to provide an amnesty period during which veterans and their family members can register certain firearms in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record, and for other purposes.

They are going to mainly be about "war trophies" and war relics, brought back by service members.  So, foreign battelfield weapons that generations ago,were brought home with service members returning from overseas. 

I'll dig for more info.

32 minutes ago, sketch said:

war trophies picked up afeild or issued..can these be transferred to non vet types/ civis, can i buy a relic i guess is what im looking for..

If it is already on the list and you fill out the proper transfer paperwork, pay your $200 then you can. If it was never registered then it is not legal to own or transfer. I think they allowed a short grace period in 68 for vets and families to register their trophies, if they missed it then they are in jeopardy of being a felon. I am very sure there are weapons out there that would be registered and available for transfer if an amnesty were offered.

20 minutes ago, sketch said:

to clarify the 200$ is nfa items including paperwork.. say its not nfa ( like a pistol or semi rifle or shotgun)? 

i should just read it but im easily distracted..

If it is not an NFA item then you are good to go, normal rules apply. Some of the older stuff is classified as a curio or relic, not real clear on what difference that makes besides you can get a special FFL to collect them, get them mailed to your door with less paperwork, supposedly.