• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tubb Carrier Weight System (CWS)

catgunguy

25 minutes ago, catgunguy said:

What ever happened to it?  I have researched and it seems that several years a go it just disappeared.

Was there a bad side effect to using it?   Thank you.

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

SpeedLock SystemsTMCWSTM 

PATENT APPLIED FOR 

Carrier Weight System for AR15 rifles 

Installation Note 

CWSTM fits all quality AR15 bolt carriers, and also the AR-10 and SR-25. CWSTM has been carefully engineered to work with a wide variety of bolt carri- ers. However, there may be an occasional bolt carrier that, due to its machining, may need to have addition- al metal removed from its surfaces. This has nothing to do with the CWSTM. All that is normally required is a careful examination of where the interference occurs and then relieving the obstruction. Normally, this interference comes from the inside edges of the open area on the bottom of the bolt carrier [see photo below]. We recommend (careful) use of a rotary grind- ing tool or a flat file. Do not remove metal from the CWSTM! 

There will be no reduction or compromise in the function of the CWSTM, the bolt carrier, or the rifle if it is necessary to de-burr the bolt carrier. Do, however, ensure that CWSTM will insert fully into the carrier so there is flush contact with the leading edge of the CWSTM flange. 

Contact (806) 323-9488 for technical assistance. Instructions and additional information are also pro- vided on-line. Please check www.davidtubb.com or www.zediker.com for the latest updates and informa- tion on CWSTM and other Superior Shooting Systems Inc. products. Something new is always in the works! 

David Tubb’s 

Developed by 8-time National 

High-Power Champion, David Tubb 

Superior Shooting Systems Inc.
806/323-9488 •
801 N. Second St. • Canadian, Texas 79014 USA • FAX 806/323-9483 

CWSTM [carrier weight system] is a patent- applied-for drop-in part that greatly enhances the func- tionality of AR-type firearms in extreme shooting conditions. 

life from a softer recoil pulse. CWSTM improves rifle function, so there are no worries about extraction or feeding failures. CWSTM in no way affects the amount of gas available to operate the rifle. 

The addition of weight to the carrier slows its rear- ward start upon action cycling. Technically, it increas- es the moment of inertia, but that simply means that the rifle will stay “locked” a little longer. This additional time reduces the influence of pressures on the cartridge case and also softens rearward carrier movement. The result is much better brass life, fewer “pressure prob- lems,” and greater flexibility in velocities attainable using all bullets — especially the heavier bullets used in High Power Rifle competition. There is also notice- ably less rifle movement during firing and longer parts 

CWSTM also incorporates a flange that serves to secure it in the carrier, but this also significantly reduces bolt carrier overrun past the bolt stop. This flange is 0.080 inches thick. Reducing the distance the carrier must return to engage the bolt stop extends the life of this part and, again, reduces the amount of rifle movement apparent to the shooter. This, too, has been engineered to work perfectly with the majority of qual- ity parts. There are specific instructions upcoming that will ensure carrier overrun is adequate for use in all rifles. 

Seems the his Flat wire Spring all accomplishes some of the same things as far as the cartridge remaining in the Chamber a hair longer . I didn't see this product on his web sight . 
Edited by survivalshop

Please report back on the info of that phonecall - I'm concerned as well, as to why it's not showing on the Tubb website. 

The Tubb buffer spring isn't the answer - it has nothing to do with what the CWS provides.  No reason in the spring being a discontinuation of the CWS.

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Please report back on the info of that phonecall - I'm concerned as well, as to why it's not showing on the Tubb website. 

The Tubb buffer spring isn't the answer - it has nothing to do with what the CWS provides.  No reason in the spring being a discontinuation of the CWS.

Tubb's himself gives claims of longer lockup when the spring is used, one of the big benefits of the CWS so they do have one similar effect on the weapon.

1 hour ago, catgunguy said:

I just got off the phone with Superior Shooting Systems.  They told me there is no more stock of the CWS with no plans to make more.

The reason they dropped the product was do to poor sales.

Thank you all for responding to my question.

Poor sales = No one needs them !:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

F

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, survivalshop said:

Poor sales = No one needs them !:thumbup:

Frankly... I run about 6 of them. The same effect can be done "easier" with a heavier buffer.

With a heavier buffer you can still "tilt the upper" with only the front pin engaged.... the CWS extended / fit into the hole in the back of the BCG. Lengthening it slightly, and pushing into the buffer tube.

IMHO, it does work, just like heavier buffers, slowing the cyclic action by milliseconds, which equals a lower chamber pressure extraction.

I really think the CWS was "ahead of its time" ... only to be surpassed by more availability of heavier buffers... ( shows how old the design is.. Lol ) ... You just altered the mass of the CWS... options were the body by itself, body and steel insert, and the body and a tungsten weight.

Quote...

"

The CWS™ itself, with no additional

weight inserts, weighs 1.54 ounces.

The CWS™ with the stainless insert weighs 2.79

ounces (1.25 insert weight) and the CWS™ with the

carbide insert weighs 4.05 ounces (2.51 insert weight)."

The differences on the brass cases is easily seen by the naked eye... far less ejector smear and gentler extraction...  judging  by the very different ejected brass.

so ... IMHO, again... anyone can achieve the same CWS effect with a heavier buffer weight.

http://www.davidtubb.com/catalog/view/theme/davidtubb/pdf/product_information/cwsbroc.pdf

All that said.... I would recommend an Adjustable gas block instead of a heavier buffer or CWS... less reciprocating mass.

Edited by bfoosh006

5 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

F

Frankly... I run about 6 of them. The same effect can be done "easier" with a heavier buffer.

A heavy buffer can't add 0.080" to the length of your carrier, and prevent this from happening.  The CWS solves this issue.

Chewed buffer 1.jpg

Chewed buffer 2.jpg

Chewed buffer 4.jpg

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

A heavy buffer can't add 0.080" to the length of your carrier, and prevent this from happening.  The CWS solves this issue.

Chewed buffer 1.jpg

Chewed buffer 2.jpg

Chewed buffer 4.jpg

This particular issue is out of spec components or bad manufacturing , the CWS is a Bandaid fix , that works . You don't see much of it any more . At least I haven't.:thumbup:

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

This particular issue is out of spec components or bad manufacturing , the CWS is a Bandaid fix , that works . You don't see much of it any more . At least I haven't.:thumbup:

Yep, it's caused from locating the buffer retainer pin hole too far rearward - doesn't take much.  Just noticed that my AR45 is chewing up the buffer, due to this.  Yes, my expensive, machined billet, CNC Guns grease-gun mag 45 lower...   :embarrassed:  Not happy.  Can't put a CWS in a pistol-caliber bolt carrier, either...  Going to have to machine something up for it. 

It still happens, brother.  I wonder how many people catch it, and how many know it's "definitely not right."

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Yep, it's caused from locating the buffer retainer pin hole too far rearward - doesn't take much.  Just noticed that my AR45 is chewing up the buffer, due to this.  Yes, my expensive, machined billet, CNC Guns grease-gun mag 45 lower...   :embarrassed:  Not happy.  Can't put a CWS in a pistol-caliber bolt carrier, either...  Going to have to machine something up for it. 

It still happens, brother.  I wonder how many people catch it, and how many know it's "definitely not right."

Can you have Heavy Buffers make a special Buffer with a raised portion of the Face , stepped down in diameter , so as to not touch the Pin or have a Buffer turned down on the outer Face to clear the Pin , you did say its not much . If your catching my meaning . 

How thick is the Face material of a Buffer ? Now I have to look  ! :lmao: 

By no means am I anything but a novice on the AR platform.  My assumption is that the spring loaded tiny detent pin's sole function is to retain the buffer and spring captive while the upper is tilted up when the rear assembly pin is pulled to tilt the upper to service the BCG

Why not remove the detent and slide the upper back on the lower and push the buffer and spring into the receiver buffer tube, and insert the assembly pins as they line up?

Would it be possible to have a path up thru the lower,so that a slave rod could be inserted to hold the buffer and spring in full rearward position,then remove the rod after assembling and pinning the upper and lower?

I know it isn't easy but it may be possible.

Edited by mrmackc

On 8/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, survivalshop said:

Can you have Heavy Buffers make a special Buffer with a raised portion of the Face , stepped down in diameter , so as to not touch the Pin or have a Buffer turned down on the outer Face to clear the Pin , you did say its not much . If your catching my meaning . 

How thick is the Face material of a Buffer ? Now I have to look  ! :lmao: 

That's possible, if it's only the center of the buffer face that's raised - can't be a cutout for the pin, since the buffer rotates.