• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BCG options for a DPMS upper

basonjerndt

Im truly hoping that this isn't a stupid question but, I have a 24" stainless DPMS upper that I would like to purchase a chrome BCG for. Since I opted for forward assist etc I would really like to find a carrier that has the notches so that I can actually use it. (some of my P Mags don't always feed as smooth as they should) The only carrier I can seem to find with the notches is from RRA. Is it possible to use a RRA BCG in my DPMS upper or is there someone else out there that makes one that will work. Again sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SI-Defense makes a BCG that is coated to perform/look similar to a chrome carrier. They work with the assist too.

Only problem is $$$$, and the wait time (the BCG's are pre-order only right now).

I pre-ordered mine in April with a stainless steel carrier. SI-D wrote me earlier this month that I might not see the BCG till later this summer.

basonjerndt,

Don't know if you noticed the post in .308 parts,from majorjim. But apparently chrome plated .308 bolt carriers with the FA serrations are currently available from Young's Mfg. even though they have not yet posted them on their site, and the bolts are supposed to be available in the near future.

Im truly hoping that this isn't a stupid question but, I have a 24" stainless DPMS upper that I would like to purchase a chrome BCG for. Since I opted for forward assist etc I would really like to find a carrier that has the notches so that I can actually use it. (some of my P Mags don't always feed as smooth as they should) The only carrier I can seem to find with the notches is from RRA. Is it possible to use a RRA BCG in my DPMS upper or is there someone else out there that makes one that will work. Again sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably not the mag., but check for burr's & smoothness of the inner part of the feed lips.

Have you tried other manufactures mags.?

Run this rifle wet with lube ,everything but the chamber.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem finding one with the serrations.  I've emailed Young's a couple of times about it but no reply and I can't find one at any of the S-I Defense vendors that are listed on there website.  FA has bolt carriers but doesn't show any with the serrations, just the thumb assist.  ???

This just came in on 08/04/2011 from Josh Sonju at S.I. Defense

They are still being made, it is taking longer than expected. The bolts have a couple more operations left and so do the carriers. We will try to keep you updated with a more accurate date.

I ordered the upper/lower receiver set and the BCG on 04/01/2011. I picked up my receiver set (BEAUTIFUL!!!) on the last week of May. It took roughly 7-8 weeks, but well worth the wait.

For over four months, I have been patiently sitting idle waiting on the BCG to hit the market. If the Young Mfg BCG hits the market first, I'd be hard pressed to wait any longer.

The biggest contributer to my patience is knowing that my Carbon Fiber barrel isn't finished yet either... Jgun can relate to that wait.

I'm in exactly the same boat, only I gave in and went ahead and bought the Young Mfg. 308 bolt carrier. The SI bolt carrier is still on order but I won't have to wait for it to get here to finish my build. SI has reassured me that all we are waiting on now is for their heat-treating process to be completed and then they will finish up our bolt carriers & ship them to us. They even encouraged me to keep calling & checking on my order.

Robocop,

Do you have an ETA for your barrel? I'm assuming that you gave them a bolt to headspace the chamber and I see that one of the other members said that he has already received a Young Mfg. carrier, so I'm guessing that if the barrel shows, and you still can't get the SI BC you should be able too just order a Young's. Just wondering, aside from that, are you ready to put it all together?

I have the same problem finding one with the serrations. 

Forget the serrations on a .308.  Not even a factor, because "size makes a difference."

The only forward assist made is for an AR-15 - it only travels so far when you smack it.  Look closely at the dimensions of a .308 AR bolt carrier - really close.  Even if the side of that thing had serrations, the AR-15 forward assist doesn't have the total throw to even reach one of them.

The forward assist works on a .308 AR bolt carrier, though.  It catches the "ridge" where the carrier steps up from AR-15-diameter to /308 AR diameter.  Right on that step in the increase in diameter.  That's about the "last two clicks" on the forward assist, maybe even the last "click."  the forward assist will still seat a round in the chamber, and more importantly, lock the bolt into the chamber.

You guys need to look more closely at the function of this platform, and understand what it's doing.  Serrations on the side of the carrier won't make any difference, it the forward assist can't even reach them anyway.  A custom long-throw forward assist would make a difference, and unless these BCG-makers offer that with their serrated carrier, then it doesn't matter anyway.

( A custom long-throw forward assist would make a difference, and unless these BCG-makers offer that with their serrated carrier, then it doesn't matter anyway.)

Mine does, and it came from the manufacture along with the upper as a custom assist, that's why I would like the serrations to be able to use this feature.  Hopefully I would never have to, but it would be the shits to have a round not seated and be hitting that forward assist and have it just sliding on the BC.

Just to add an FYI, there is a consensus among some manufacturers and builders that the 308 has overly abundant energy to cycle the action and any situation that prevents the bcg from going completely forward and locking points to a possible serious malfunction with the weapon. Forcing the carrier can lead to a dangerous situation due to the pressures involved.

( A custom long-throw forward assist would make a difference, and unless these BCG-makers offer that with their serrated carrier, then it doesn't matter anyway.)

Mine does, and it came from the manufacture along with the upper as a custom assist, that's why I would like the serrations to be able to use this feature.  Hopefully I would never have to, but it would be the shits to have a round not seated and be hitting that forward assist and have it just sliding on the BC.

If it's a live-or-die issue, the Young Mfg. bolt carrier has the assist serrations milled in it. I myself agree with the consensus that if that round isn't seating, the issue should be remedied instead of compounded.

The only time I used a FA on any AR type rifle was when I first started to reload for the 5.56 (30+ years ago )& was putting too much crimp on the brass & was setting the neck back & bulging the case body .

The FA didn't help very much , only on a couple of cases until I found out what was really wrong & went to taper crimping . Problem solved .

The whole issue of the need for a FA was a lot of factors back when the M16 was first developed & as long as you keep your rifle some what clean , you will never need one .

You will hear that some want to slowly let the bolt close to be silent & then use the FA to (think ) they close it all the way . Well that can get you into trouble with any auto feed action .

Next time you go shooting , see how much you really need one .

I hunt with both a pump & semi auto shot guns & I do no load ether till I get into stand & never have a problem seeing & shooting deer.