Hello from the Texas Gulf Coast

mley1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hurricane/Tropical storm Harvey is still kicking our butts in south east Texas. I just got home last night after working a 36 hour stretch at my prison facility. Keep Texas in your prayers. There's wide spread catastrophic flooding on an unprecedented scale. Record rains due to the storm stalling has caused floods that will continue for days, perhaps weeks. My family was hit hard, but we are all safe. Stuff can be replaced. 

4 minutes ago, mley1 said:

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hurricane/Tropical storm Harvey is still kicking our butts in south east Texas. I just got home last night after working a 36 hour stretch at my prison facility. Keep Texas in your prayers. There's wide spread catastrophic flooding on an unprecedented scale. Record rains due to the storm stalling has caused floods that will continue for days, perhaps weeks. My family was hit hard, but we are all safe. Stuff can be replaced. 

Obviously they didn't make Y'all evacuate that facility.  That's good to hear.

Glad to hear your family is safe.  Holler at us here if you need anything.  I'm not that far from you.  If you can give me an update on 146 and possibly Hwy. 3 at some point it will be appreciated.

38 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

I'm waiting on orders, may be headed that way. I'm on search and rescue for Massachusetts State police. If we get sent down for mutual aid I'll be looking you up

My family and I are safe. I'm scheduled off till Friday. However the crew working my facility at the moment needs relief. So as soon as I can get there I'm gonna get there. 

In my moms neighborhood there were many stranded. She lives south of lake Conroe. And they are releasing huge amounts of water downstream. It's flooding huge areas. Many people flooded and stranded. 

If you're deployed stay safe. Texas appreciates all the help from y'all. THANK YOU!!!

1 minute ago, mley1 said:

Here are a few pics of my steps, the house across the street. Last night after I got home it was worse, but I could take pics due to darkness and torrential rain. 

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

Can you tell if 146 is passable from say, La Porte on down south and past the Kemah bridge towards Texas City?

Edited by GRA

3 minutes ago, GRA said:

Can you tell if 146 is passable from say, La Porte on down south and past the Kemah bridge towards Texas City?

Negative!! Was not passable late yesterday. I had three officers trying to get to work that way. They were stopped at the Kemah bridge due to flooding. I also had officers stopped at the Dickinson bayou bridge on 146 due to flooding. If the rain stops the water recedes fairly quickly. The rain hasn't stopped since late last night. 

Just now, mley1 said:

My facility is located just south of Dickinson, between hwy146 and hwy3 on Atwater Ave on the north side of Texas City. 

OK thanks on the road update.  As soon as I can get out of the neighborhood here I was going to try to volunteer somewhere if I don't have to drive my wife to work later this week.  If you go back to work and you're able to freely drive 146 please advise.

Just now, GRA said:

OK thanks on the road update.  As soon as I can get out of the neighborhood here I was going to try to volunteer somewhere if I don't have to drive my wife to work later this week.  If you go back to work and you're able to freely drive 146 please advise.

Will do. I actually come in from the hwy 3 side as I live in Santa Fe. I'll post an update soon. 

Just now, mley1 said:

Will do. I actually come in from the hwy 3 side as I live in Santa Fe. I'll post an update soon. 

OK thanks.  That's the area I was concerned about needing help the most, between Hwy. 3 and Hwy. 146, as I think Dickinson appears to be fully submerged. 

Be careful, that site does not have all of the closures, particularly on the back roads.  In some cases it is because crews have not reached the roads yet, or made reports back to the EOC to get them on the site, and in some cases the situation is changing so rapidly that they simply can't keep up.  Basically just stay out of the area that is defined if you draw a line around the outside of all of the closures.  The situation is so bad that the crews we are sending from El Paso won't be going until Thursday or Friday because we can't even get dump trucks far enough in to begin debris removal.

1 minute ago, EngrBob said:

The situation is so bad that the crews we are sending from El Paso won't be going until Thursday or Friday because we can't even get dump trucks far enough in to begin debris removal.

I can only imagine.  A lot of the dump trucks are being utilized here now just to transport folks out of the flooded areas.  Simply not enough high water vehicles.