• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A2 Dissipator Build

GRA

A2 Dissipator I just finished based on the Colt A2 Dissipator sold by CDNN a few years back. Too bad I missed out on that purchase.  :embarrassed:

Upper Assembly:

The barrel is a new Double Star med. weight Dissipator chrome-lined barrel with 1-9" twist on a contract (non-marked) new A2 upper. This is a mock dissy that uses a carbine length gas tube. I used a titanium low profile gas block at the gas port and a clamp-on non F-marked A2 front sight offered by Fulton Armory as the faux front sight. I cut a section of a pistol length gas tube to use in the faux gas block that runs in to the hand guard a couple of inches to stabilize it. I'm currently using an extended A2 front sight post pending 100 yard sight-in. I used a gas block quick disconnect sling adapter sold by GGG in Tucson. I simply need to attach the proper piece on the stock. Currently I have an original 3-prong flash hider on this but it will be changed to an original-type A2 piece.  The bolt catch is an enhanced Seekins unit.

Lower Assembly:

Colt Sporting Rifle lower with a Fostech Echo trigger. This will be the first time I try one of these triggers and I'm looking forward to the first range day with it this week. The buffer tube is a new Colt 4 position piece with a Spikes Tactical carbine spring and T-2 buffer. The lower parts kit is a standard LPK from Spikes Tactical also.

Although the original Colt piece used black furniture I used the standard furniture in green that I had as spares to finish this off. Hopefully this will be a great go-to carbine to carry around in the truck. The longer sight distance will be much easier on my older eyes.  cool.png

DSC00321.JPG

DSC00322.JPG

DSC00324.JPG

DSC00325.JPG

2 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Nice rifle brother, I had one and sold it. Had just about the same look. Was a PSA upper.

Thank you.  I wish I had known about the rare original Colt version before they sold out.  Found out about them about 4 days too late. 

Dissy's are my favorites also. Good looking, and also waiting for report.

Enjoy it!

I reallly like my full length gas system on mine, as my wife's carbine style system is noticeably sharper in the recoil impulse; and now I will get to see the difference between the three long gun types as my son just put together a mid length version of an AR15.

Edited by bubbas4570
monkey thumbs

29 minutes ago, COBrien said:

Looks great, I'm a fan of green furniture...

616993E6-4A86-46FB-9CA9-4E485EB7D6DB_zps

Makes me want to get permission to actually get my Dissy upper put together, rather than just mocking it up for pics... :laffs:

I, too, have a dream of one day building a .308 Dissy upper for my LR-308. All it takes is money, right?

Nice gun there.  :thumbup:

I like the use of A1 and A2 stocks as I think they look better.  I built the one above as a copy of an actual special order Colt once done for a LEO agency that used the collapsable stock.  Go ahead and finish your's out.  Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. :evil:

Yes indeed the LR-308 Dissy is going to be a bit more expensive but that is to be expected with the .308  :embarrassed:

1 hour ago, bubbas4570 said:

COBrian, not that I am trying to make one envious or anything.....but recoil is less than my 308 bolt actions were.

No envy at all — very nice rifle you have there!

The further I got into buying parts for my 5.56 Dissy, the more I thought about building a Low upper for my LR-308, rather than re-barreling my “Target” upper, with a 16” rifle gas barrel. I like a slick sided upper, but the Ultra High DPMS slick side is just too much unless you’re running a 50mm+ objective. 

Edited by COBrien

5 hours ago, GRA said:

Nice gun there.  :thumbup:

I like the use of A1 and A2 stocks as I think they look better.  I built the one above as a copy of an actual special order Colt once done for a LEO agency that used the collapsable stock.  Go ahead and finish your's out.  Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. :evil:

Yes indeed the LR-308 Dissy is going to be a bit more expensive but that is to be expected with the .308  :embarrassed:

Thank you, sir!

I’ve got this elaborate scheme in my head. “You know, I’ve wanted to build an AR for awhile now. I know you said ‘not yet’ back in January, but I started seeing parts going on sale at obscenely low prices and started buying them Johnny Cash style. The money has already been spent (and it’s about 30% less than MSRP for the individual parts...), it’s just a matter of taking a couple of hours and putting it all together.” 

Or, I now have another option: “You know, my buddy who just got his FFL took this rifle in on a trade. He’s making me a helluva deal...”