• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a CSASS for the Wife...

COBrien

5 hours ago, COBrien said:

Seeing as how Fulton Armory puts out a had-and-shoulders better product than Gibbz, should I be concerned about checking headspace here?

Not at all.  Put a live round in the barrel/chamber by hand, but it's gonna fully seat - the chamber will be perfect.  Lightly run a round in there with the BCG and finger pressure (upper only) and seat the extractor over the rim on the round.  Should you check headspace on a .308AR?  Always.  I just described a way to do it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Not at all.  Put a live round in the barrel/chamber by hand, but it's gonna fully seat - the chamber will be perfect.  Lightly run a round in there with the BCG and finger pressure (upper only) and seat the extractor over the rim on the round.  Should you check headspace on a .308AR?  Always.  I just described a way to do it.

Fair point. I was trying to take the lazy way out and say, "Well, Michael from Criterion checked it, and he says it's good, so..."

I just have limited garage time after the youngerns go to bed, so I'm trying to make the most of it. Still have a Griffin Hammer Comp to install on the Dissy (with Accu-Washers...), boresighting to be done on the CSASS, further boresighting to be done on the RART (just eyeballed it down the bore at 0100 one night across the garage, want to actually set my laser boresighter up with 20ish yards across the front of the house and get it closer).

Trying to get all this done before the in-laws come in this weekend for Christmas. FIL (the one I gave the 80% lower and buildout parts to last year) really wants to go to the range this visit. Since my FFL/SOT is a good friend, we'll be meeting him at the 2,000(ish) yard range, where he'll let me "demo" my can. I think the FIL will get a helluva kick out of shooting a .308 suppressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we didn't get to hit the range with the can. My gun pusher's shop isn't just for guns and Title II toys -- it's also a jewelry store. So the week of Christmas (before and after the 25th), he's slammed.

But he and I did meet up on Sunday, the 29th, at our local 1800-yard range. Started breaking the CSASS in, and couldn't quite get her to cycle. Nonetheless, zeroed the Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10x44 FFP MIL/MIL scope at 100 yards, then shot at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600, scoring repeatable hits on steel with a good wind call. It all broke down at 800 yards, though. Mostly due to the wind being finicky, partly due to the cold, partly due to fatigue (straight-pull bolt-action mode...). All in all, I like this "little" rifle. Just gotta figure out my short-stroke issue and get 'er broke in.

As an aside, I shot my gun pusher's PRS match rifle -- chambered in, uh, 6 GT? Repeatable hits at 1,200 yards for a guy who's never shot PRS or, until then, shot past 300 yards with any seriousness or belief that I'd hit my target. That sh¡t was fun! Now he's trying to convince me to "get my feet wet" and pick up a Bergara + Vortex combo (in 6 Creedmoor) he's got on the shelf, at an entry-level price of $2,500ish...

6 hours ago, COBrien said:

Nonetheless, zeroed the Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10x44 FFP MIL/MIL scope at 100 yards, then shot at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600, scoring repeatable hits on steel with a good wind call. It all broke down at 800 yards, though. Mostly due to the wind being finicky,

800 yards is where you gotta put it all together, brother.  Wind isn't a difference, at 500 yards on a .308, unless you're shooting in a hurricane. Wind starts to make a difference at 600. Wind is making a big difference at 800.  You'll get it, brother, don't sweat it.   :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Pulled this old beast out of the safe last night (wife had me get her heirloom Mauser 98k out, was going to put it back, and decided to re-organize...bad idea). 

After the poor showing the CSASS made at the range, I knew there was something going on. Pulling the rifle out of the safe, I glanced down the barrel at the gas block. Not even close to centered up, so I corrected that, using the dimple on the barrel as a guide. Should help a bit. 

I also got curious about the buffer system, to I pulled the buffer and spring and ran tape on them. Uhh...

Buffer measured 2-1/2”. Didn’t weigh it, was too shocked at the measurement.
Spring measured 11-9/16”, 30 coils. 
Tube measured 6-15/16”. 

All Fulton parts, all designated by them as “FA-308” parts.

WTAF is Fulton doing??

Now I know $55 of my CovidCash is going to Armalite...

To be clear, I don’t expect the buffer system was the culprit of my short-stroking. If anything, it should have been bottoming out (and peening my lower in the process...), assuming no gas issues. Having said that, it seems I lucked out on that front. Otherwise I’d be pissed for a whole different reason. 

EDIT: Pics. Don’t give me sh!t about how I measured the buffer tube. None of my measuring tapes have a small enough end to fit inside the tube, so I used a 1/2” drive extension...😂

669671A4-96CD-45A0-9AD5-7CFE38A2D136.jpeg

DF0DDEFD-B06A-4822-9594-96D55FAA1D37.jpeg

C0EF8C3D-813F-47A7-9CA2-7C59777F89B8.jpeg

465BBA9C-13A1-44B5-9A8A-7CA3585C2E33.jpeg

Edited by COBrien

2 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I think the buffer and tube are fine lengthwise.   I'm not sure about the spring though.  DPMS receiver extension uses an almost 7" tube and 2.5" buffer.  The buffer should be an H3 weighing 5.4 oz.

The Armalite kit will remove any doubt though.

Ah, okay. I thought I found a post around here from 98 showing a DPMS carbine buffer was closer to (or longer than) 3”. 

That 6 15/16" internal depth is the REAL measurement for the Armalite M15 (AR15) spec, and it's actually correct.  Most manufacturers can easily use 7.000" internal depth, and it causes Zero issues - so 7.000" internal kind of "became the standard" because so many companies just went and did it.  That extension is good to go.  2.500" long buffer is what's required for that extension, running in a .308AR.  It has an aluminum body (I can see that), so it's max weight can only be 3.8oz, as it will onlt fit two tungsten weights.  Only way to make a 2.500" buffer heavier is to use a stainless steel body for it, loaded with both those tungsten weights. 

The spring - Don't know.  I can say that Fulton Armory is only gonna match up that spring for that system, because it works.  Whatever coil count they're using for that length, and wire diameter - Fulton (and Clint McKee) wouldn't use it if it didn't work, brother.  It's like the real DPMS LR-308 carbine springs - whatever they did, it worked most of the time.  Not every other copycat company did that, and just tossed whatever AR15 carbine springs in theirs, and that shiit don't work. 

So, honestly, here's what I'd do, to try this out - and I've done it, too, it works...  You have two tungsten weights in that bugger you have.  BUY a DSG Arms-brand 308 carbine buffer.  It's 3.8oz, too, but it's a stainless body with regular weights in it, and it's $22.  You get that, you cross your tungsten weights into that DSG buffer body, and it comes up to 5.15oz.  Close enough to work right.  Run that thing with a Sprinco Orange spring.  Your recoil system will work.  For about $40, total - because you already have some good parts to work with.  :thumbup:

Here's the buffer I'm talking about - Shiit, it's out of stock right now....  This is it, though.

https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-dsg-4201-0021

Here's the Sprinco Orange spring, at Primary Arms - but it's out of stock right now, too...

https://www.primaryarms.com/sprinco-ar10-orange-extra-power-carbine-buffer-spring

Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System night be the way to go right now, considering that.  It WILL work.  But, what I gave you is the way to fix a 7.000" extension recoil setup for a .308AR.  

@98Z5V thanks for that info. When I ordered the recoil system, I blindly trusted Fulton Armory, but later I questioned whether or not I should have gone with Armalite.

As far as changing things around, I may do that later, but for now (after hearing this setup is/should be GTG), I'm going to stick with one change at a time until we get her running. I corrected what I believe to have been some misalignment of the gas block which caused short-stroking, even at (and past...oops) WOT.

Since this is a 16" rifle gas barrel, I'm hesitant to run a heavier buffer until I get it running as-is.

Edited by COBrien