• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a CSASS for the Wife...

COBrien

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Oh, you were on the website, but it was too much to grab the link to this stock?...   :thefinger::lmao:

https://www.missionfirsttactical.com/BMSMIL-EXD

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

You found the link, but forgot how to post pics? :thefinger: 🤪

DFC87D6A-5B95-4457-AACF-636C7D376377.jpeg

4780CEA8-17D9-4E5E-9FBC-96474DA8D91A.jpeg

...you were BOTH on the website, and neither of you could be bothered to buy me one to try out??

Alright... I think I’ve figured it out.

Color me stupid. 

I could swear I checked headspace on this rifle after completing the build. However, I may have run out of time (this is what happens when you build a rifle in secret, a little bit at a time...). 

First pics attached are how she looks from various angles with a Forster .243/.308 GO gauge in the chamber. No fvckin bueno, am I right?

Next logical step is to determine whether my bolt or chamber is out of spec, yes? Perhaps swap the bolt from my LR-308 into my the CSASS BCG and see how we like it?

Last pic is the firing pin on a tape measure. I promise it was flush with the end of the tape (metal clip pushed in, as is correct for inside-inside measurements...). 

FA7EB791-D776-45CF-94C5-FF00644EAFC5.jpeg

6EF5E136-6868-4545-AE9A-E75B8B4558D8.jpeg

07512DB4-1450-4F60-AF53-BBB1D236FD72.jpeg

40B0C7B9-E58A-421C-BF1F-D1D49EAA0F5E.jpeg

C93CF386-D17C-4A9D-A9F5-7A2253F6F393.jpeg

395E5786-664C-435F-826F-5F37A827DF69.jpeg

46 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Will that BCG go all the way into battery, and the bolt rotate - with nothing in the chamber?

Yes sir. Takes a good tap with the palm or the pressure of the buffer spring to get her there, but she will go into battery on an empty chamber. 

Edited by COBrien

6 minutes ago, COBrien said:

Yes sir. Takes a good tap with the palm or the pressure of the buffer spring to get her there, but she will go into battery on an empty chamber. 

Damn.   

That Go Gauge and just the bolt (no BCG)... no way that's happening?... 

Criterion will send you a new barrel.     You hit the barrel from DVOR, last October.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:07 PM, COBrien said:

Welp, DVOR strikes again. 

Criterion 16” rifle gas Hybrid barrel, SS, 1/10 for $269. Couldn’t resist. 

Now I just lack an upper. Then I’ll have TWO rifles to inform my wife about one of these days...

Here's when you stated the barrel...

On 7/5/2019 at 6:33 AM, COBrien said:

Alright, gents. Yesterday was finally this old girl's first day out. It was a resounding failure.

Loaded one (1) round of Winchester XM80C into a PMAG to test whether or not we had enough gas to lock the bolt back. Insert mag, pull back charging handle, and let the BCG fly home. Pull the trigger, and just a click. Drop mag, attempt to clear round -- we're locked up. Had to mortar the rifle to eject the live round, which did have a light primer strike.

Remove BCG and check her out. She's bone dry -- dammit. Lubed liberally with Mobil 1 15W-50, wiped off bolt face, and tried again. Same result. Had to mortar it out.

Tried some Fiocchi FMJs, same story.

Tried some FGMM, same story.

Tried some foreign crap my buddy had on hand -- same story.

I took a look inside, and, with a round chambered, it doesn't appear the bolt is fully locking into battery.

I'm a bit stumped, as Next Level test-fired this BCG before sending it back to me. I'm running a Criterion barrel, and (as far as I can remember...it's been several months...), she passed Go/NoGo for headspace.

Anybody have any other ideas?

DId you save these rounds, by chance?   The ones you had to mortar out? If so, can you get a good picture of them,all line up.  Need to see the bodies, shoulders and the necks.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:19 PM, COBrien said:

Two quick, not-so-great pics. 

Waiting on my muzzle brake to show up. FedEx says Saturday. 

87B8CE51-A5A1-4042-B4F5-B09A5833BC14.jpeg

A71121A9-1829-482B-8621-65CFC4DAC0A3.jpeg

Terrific thread,  I enjoyed reading it,  there were both family ties and some quick humor.  A good old fashioned story was enjoyed by me.  Now if I could only have read it while sitting on the pictured chair.  That chair,  the Broyhill Tired Cowboy Refresher,  model 4995Z,  is discontinued at present but is seriously being considered for an update.  The 24x28 seat with extreme padded armrests assures comfort for most all folks.  The smooth easy back rest has remained untufted for an especially comforting feel,  and most enjoyed by any silverbacks who may venture into it's inviting grasp. A quick nap is guaranteed within 15 minutes of use.

Sorry COBrien,  if I were smart enough to answer your questions I would have.  Adding BS to most any post is my forte,  please consider my addition an 'INTERMISSION',  while you folks get back to fixin'.  

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

DId you save these rounds, by chance?   The ones you had to mortar out? If so, can you get a good picture of them,all line up.  Need to see the bodies, shoulders and the necks.

I did, but I wouldn't know off-hand, now, which ones those were (they went back in the box with all the other ammo).

Good news is, the problem still exists, and I have more ammo, so I can always create more!

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn.   

That Go Gauge and just the bolt (no BCG)... no way that's happening?... 

Criterion will send you a new barrel.     You hit the barrel from DVOR, last October.

Shiit, I didn't even think to try the bolt -- by itself -- without the carrier. I'll try that tonight.

I'll also hand-cycle (read: mortar and cuss) various new rounds through the rifle tonight and get pics, and pull the BCG out of my DPMS (complete, factory-built rifle) to give it a try.

I want to have it absolutely narrowed down to the chamber before I go firing off an e-mail to Criterion.

Okay. Out of curiosity, I called Michael at Criterion Barrels (I'd previously exchanged e-mails with him when I was in the barrel shopping phase of this build). I asked him if they'd had any reports of .308 barrels with chambers that were too short. He said he hadn't heard of any.

I described my issue, and he immediately asked if I had a NiB bolt. Why, yes, yes I do. Apparently NiB does have a thickness. Also -- and I was aware of this -- just because this NLA bolt headspaced and functioned properly in NLA's test barrel, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll headspace correctly in another barrel.

He suggested I try another bolt (which I plan to do anyhow -- the one in my DPMS). He also said, "This is why we offer matched barrel and bolt sets -- not to make money, because we don't actually make any money on the bolts, but because 5 different bolts, even from the same manufacturer, will all headspace differently in the same barrel." Again, I'm on the same page.

I'm now somewhat considering sending the barrel (or barreled upper, per Michael's suggestion) to Criterion to let them hand-select a proper bolt. Do I really want to invest another $109.95 (for a Fulton Armory bolt) or $199.95 (for a JP bolt), plus 2-way shipping? Not particularly.

But I do realize there's no way to "fix" a headspace issue, aside from trying various combinations of bolt and barrel. I don't have access to (or money for...) enough bolts to find that "Goldilocks" fit. And, if this truly is a chamber issue, the damned barrel is going to have to go back to Criterion anyhow...

11 hours ago, COBrien said:

Apparently NiB does have a thickness. Also -- and I was aware of this -- just because this NLA bolt headspaced and functioned properly in NLA's test barrel, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll headspace correctly in another barrel.

This is why I try to stick to nitrided BCGs now. 

NLA put that bolt in a gun and I'm sure is headpsaced correctly - but it's chamber depth wasn't the same as yours, I'll guarantee.

Pretty brave to guarantee something like that, when I'm not even a gunsmith, right?... 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally located a box suitable for mailing an upper. Living in a small(-ish) town is nice, but not having any office supply stores is frustrating.

She'll get packaged up and sent off this week, along with a check for $109.95.

I'm still not super happy about it (more a pride thing -- "Dammit, I can fix it," but I know I can't...), but they'll get 'er running.

Edited by COBrien

19 hours ago, COBrien said:

Finally located a box suitable for mailing an upper. Living in a small(-ish) town is nice, but not having any office supply stores is frustrating.

She'll get packaged up and sent off this week, along with a check for $109.95.

I'm still not super happy about it (more a pride thing -- "Dammit, I can fix it," but I know I can't...), but they'll get 'er running.

PSA will send you a box, usually within another box, but you have to order something the size of an upper ;-).

Bill

1 hour ago, willbird said:

PSA will send you a box, usually within another box, but you have to order something the size of an upper ;-).

Bill

True story. :laffs:

I actually found a company called Cameron Packaging that designed and sells boxes specifically for shipping AR-15 receivers, as well as complete rifles. Pretty cool setup!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard back from Mike at Criterion Barrels today...

He says the NLA bolt I have is "within tolerance," not way tight, but within tolerance. He says he can go ahead and select a Fulton bolt if I'd like, but he can't promise it will improve functionality or accuracy over what I have. He also said the NLA bolt closed on a GO gauge, and would not close on a NOGO gauge. I asked him how that could be, when it wouldn't close on my Forster GO gauge or a live round. He didn't know, other than to say that, in his experience, left-side charging upper receivers tend to have reliability and accuracy issues. He also said my receiver isn't DPMS-spec, in the truest sense of that phrase.

I'm at a loss here. My headspace gauges are telling me there's a problem. My range experience is telling me there's a problem. CBI says there's no problem but, if there is, it's with the receiver itself. I've just about resigned myself to having Mike fit a Fulton bolt, ditching the Gibbz upper in favor of a Fulton "standard" DPMS-spec upper, and calling it a day.

But dammit, I hate to do that. I've got $350 in that upper. And I won't offload it on anyone if I suspect it's got issues.

Not bagging on you or anything, but your testament here - you are either the 2nd or 3rd person here with problems with a Gibbz side=charging upper. If you've never posted about problems with that upper before, then you're the 3rd person.  I've seen "fix my gun" complaints TWICE here, involving that upper.  If you've never mentioned it to date, you are the third...