• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a CSASS for the Wife...

COBrien

10 hours ago, COBrien said:

Thanks all for the input, fellas, but I think this project is getting shelved for now. I may pick this back up as a build for her (...or myself?) later on.

After talking it over with the wife (which I should have done in the first place...), she's decided she'd rather have a nice, light(er) (than the Bushmaster A2-uppered carbine she was issued) patrol carbine in 5.56 NATO for the time being. Her first response was, "well, I have this Carbon-15 I could use," but, truthfully, I'm not comfortable with her relying on that rifle on the street. I appreciate her dad buying it for her, but...

Not saying anything negative about Bushmaster, Carbon-15s, or carbon fiber/polymer receivers in general, but when it absolutely, positively has to go 'bang', I'm not 100% sold. If removing and/or retorquing a barrel nut can render a Carbon-15 upper useless, I don't want my wife behind it in a firefight.

so your on the waiting list for a can.. ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

Need us to say the negative things about them for you? I'm sure many of us would be happy to. lol.

:laffs:I've never had an issue with one. And the wife's department issues Bushmaster M4s that have lots and lots of mileage on them -- they're pretty damned reliable, from what I can tell.

Perhaps those particular rifles are just aberrations...

• 4 months later...

I’m dusting off this old thread, and plan to update as I collect parts. This will be a LOOOONG term project, and parts will only be purchased if they’re on a damn good sale. 

So far, I’ve got a Fulton lower, an MBT, a Next Level (I think?) carrier, and an A*B Arms USS (w/ butt plate — still pissed about having to pay $30 to buy it separately...).

Waiting on the Armalite receiver extension kit to come back in stock, and that’ll be purchased next. Unless FA has a site-wide sale between now and then. 

I’m picturing a Criterion/ADM 16” rifle gas barrel, not sure on profile (HBAR or Hybrid), and past that I really don’t know. 

Trying to keep the weight down (especially if I go HBAR), so considering an SLR ION UltraLite handguard. 

I forgot to mention...

The carrier I have is a Next Level NiB NLX308, purchased secondhand (from a member here), but brand new. I checked NLA’s website, and they don’t list a NiB bolt or completion kit online. So I contacted them. 

I won’t get into the details on the public part of the forum, but suffice it to say the CS guy at NLA is a stand-up person, and is bending over backwards to help me complete this BCG, which seems to have been obtained under questionable circumstances.  

I’ll be singing the praises of Next Level Armament for a long, long time. 

1 hour ago, COBrien said:

I won’t get into the details on the public part of the forum, but suffice it to say the CS guy at NLA is a stand-up person, and is bending over backwards to help me complete this BCG, which seems to have been obtained under questionable circumstances. 

Doesn't surprise me in the least, brother - I knew there was something wrong with that guy, for years. Just couldn't put my finger on it.  Glad it's working out for you, though. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, shepp said:

I can’t remember if I ban him or he just went away, but if it’s the dude I’m thinking of and he’s not ban we can get that handled if he’s screwing over members @COBrien

I can’t say I was screwed over — I got a good deal on the carrier. But NLA gave me the full story on those carriers he’s peddling. 

@shepp If you’re interested, I’ll share the story via PM. Trying not to stir up a shiitpot, at the request of NLA. 

Edited by COBrien

7 minutes ago, COBrien said:

I can’t say I was screwed over — I got a good deal on the carrier. But NLA gave me the full story on those carriers he’s peddling. 

@shepp If you’re interested, I’ll share the story via PM. Trying not to stir up a shiitpot, at the request of NLA. 

?   Just making sure

Edited by shepp

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Sent the NLA carrier off on 6/12.

Got an e-mail from Dan Lubbers at NLA on 6/14, saying he received it, had it together and tested it by hand in a rifle.

E-mail today, it's been test fired and checked out good. Money paid, it'll be on its way home tomorrow morning.

If the duration of its first trip is any indication, I should have it in hand on Monday.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I've updated this thread...

Ordered a MiAD 1.1 Type 2 grip. Test fit it, and it doesn't fit. Apparently the FA lowers need the Type 1 MiAD. Trying to find a decent price on one to throw into another order. Since I'm compiling parts for my father-in-law's Christmas rifle, it shouldn't take long.

Edited by COBrien

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, so I bellied up and bought a Gibbz G10 side-charging upper. It came in, and it's glorious.

However, I think I've hit a snag... I tried threading the SLR barrel nut onto the upper, got it about 1-2 threads deep, and it stopped.

I e-mailed Gibbz to see if their uppers (which are advertised as being DPMS-compatible...) accept DPMS/SR25 or Armalite barrel nuts. Assuming they say what I expect (DPMS), my next stop will be to SLR. Perhaps someone mistakenly tossed an Armalite or DPMS GII barrel nut in with my handguard...

Edited by COBrien

Gibbz says they've seen this a couple of times before -- something about SLR's barrel nuts being threaded "too tight," and that another, identical barrel nut fixed the issue.

I shot an e-mail off to SLR and asked about this issue. After e-mailing some pics to Todd at SLR (per his request), and a brief phone call from him, I have 2-3 new barrel nuts on the way.

I have the correct DPMS (1 7/16"-16) barrel nut, but variations in anodizing thickness (and, of course, variances in manufacturing tolerances...) can make the difference. Todd agreed to send me a couple more barrel nuts to try. If one will thread on by hand, great. If not, he suggested I apply grease to the threads and work one nut on until it bottoms out, then remove it, clean and de-grease, and do my final install with one of the other nuts, dry.

Also... Dropped my FIL's receivers off at a local (ish... 40 minutes away...) 'smith for Cerakote. I also took this SS Criterion barrel with me to see if he'd bead blast it to knock the shine off. While I was there, describing what I was wanting on the receivers, he threw the barrel in his blasting cabinet and gave it a quick once-over with some 120-grit aluminum oxide. It came out looking like light gray primer. After rubbing it down with some WD-40 (all I have on hand at the office), it turned out a nice mid-gray. The pic doesn't do it justice.

CSASS Barrel Blasted.JPG

Good looking barrel!   One comment, though - don't install a barrel nut dry,  like what was just suggested to you.  Don't.  I'm not an AeroShell MS33 Grease snob - any grease will do.  Just don't install it dry.  I use Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease - because I use that crazy shiit all the time at work, and always have it on hand.

Edited by 98Z5V