• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Second Zero Prism Lens, rapid zero change

Saw this interesting prism lens for shifting your zero with the flick of a lever. They advertise models for many calibers and second zeros at 320 and 500 yards. MSRP of $60, street price under $50, so not a real high price just wonder how durable it is for that money.

http://axeonoptics.com/2017/03/30/second-zero-opens-up-long-range-possibilities/

http://axeonoptics.com/second-zero/

for sale here;

http://www.sanborngunshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=83_107_542

Does it have a cross hair or dot or series of dots or something like that , is what I'm saying . I would like to see a , through the lens type of view , especially looking at a down range target , both with & with out it deployed .

They just don't explain it well enough for me . Is its lens itself optically changing the Cross hairs of the Scope ( from the shooters perspective  ), what is it really doing ? 

JT , you are just going to have to purchase one & let us know .:laffs:

There is an article in this month's G&A. No crosshairs or dot, just a prism lens that "does a very controlled bend of incoming light light to move the crosshairs a specified amount." They also state it was very successfully tested by SOF, both ours and other nations, so maybe it will hold up. I imagine there will be one in my future.

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

Does it have a cross hair or dot or series of dots or something like that , is what I'm saying . I would like to see a , through the lens type of view , especially looking at a down range target , both with & with out it deployed .

They just don't explain it well enough for me . Is its lens itself optically changing the Cross hairs of the Scope ( from the shooters perspective  ), what is it really doing ? 

JT , you are just going to have to purchase one & let us know

Here is a picture I took looking partly through a prism.

20171218_075804.thumb.jpg.d2dd964d2bbf99165885286823c8e3ea.jpg

If you notice the painting on the wall, it is split by the edge of the prism.  The part of the image through the prism is above the part outside the prism.  The prism moves light passing through it in a specific direction based on where the thick part is located.  It does not move the crosshairs at all.  What it does is force you to do is a holdover of a specific amount to recenter your crosshairs. 

4 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Tested by the SOF , ummm , does that mean they put it in service .  I can think of all kinds of issues coming up using something that bends light in such a way . I can see limited use for such a contraption , but I've been wrong before .

It only works if your rifle is zeroed at 100 yards and you are shooting at the prescribed distance.  If your prism is designed for 300 yards and you need to shoot at 500 yards, you still have to adjust your hold.

So, I agree that this will have limited applications.

They used a type of prism device, Charlie TARAC, to make that 5 mile shot recently but that device was calibrated for so many mils not a particular range. I would think this device could have a similar application but they don't give you the mils. I am pretty skeptical this device would hold up in the field, just looks too fragile.

Here is a link on the Charlie TARAC prism, looks to be a much sturdier device;

https://www.tacomhq.com/products-charlie-tarac.html

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

another down side is that you now have another lens in front of your scope. if you paid tons of money for high end super clear HD glass you just wasted it. 

Yep, for under $50 the glass just can't be top end stuff, or I wouldn't think. Odds are there are no coatings either, they don't bragg on any.