• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Broke the extractor on my PA10

mley1

I was shooting factory Barnes 168grn TTSX loads. And, the rifle likes them. However, after a couple groups the rifle stopped extracting cases from the chamber. I pulled the bolt and found that the extractor claw had broken off. So, it's time for a new extractor. The rifle likes these 168grn TTSX rounds. I wish I could have shot more. The first group had a first shot flyer on a cold clean bore. After that it shot very good.

28276443_10211164078966412_5765367181840

Pic of the broken extractor.

28279886_10211164071926236_1453898223519

Ammo I was using.

28377691_10211164073526276_7351776289278

BTW, that group was 4 rounds sub moa. I had one other group that had five rounds sub moa. However, it started pouring rain, and when my extractor broke I decided it was time to head for the house. So, I didn't get the target and take any pics. I'm very happy with how the rifle is shooting this TTSX ammo from Barnes though. It's going to be my new hunting ammo. It's good stuff.

39 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

I replaced the extractor in my PA10 with the DPMS G2 style with the elastometer "spring". Runs great. Found the whole bolt kit to be about the same price as just the 2 components. I got spare parts which is a plus. 

Bolt kit at Midway

Thanks. I may look into that for a spare. PSA is sending me a new bolt. Their CS rep, Josiah, contacted me within 15mins of posting and is going to be sending me a new bolt. I got no complaints about PSA. This type of failure could happen to any firearm that has small mim parts.

2 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

When will they fix the many out of spec buffer tubes?

Lol, good question. Two quarters got my rig operating without the bcg hitting the receiver end. It would be great if the industry could settle on a set standard for the large framed AR rifles. 

7 hours ago, mley1 said:

Lol, good question. Two quarters got my rig operating without the bcg hitting the receiver end. It would be great if the industry could settle on a set standard for the large framed AR rifles. 

I don't see what industry standards have to do with PSA finding out of spec parts acceptable. Two quarters thick is a big margin of error. Mine required three quarters, so I ordered a replacement from a company that keeps parts in spec. If PSA cared to do the job right we wouldn't see so many complaints on this forum about the same parts. Granted the rifle is sold at a good price, and granted the repair price was low enough that the price is still acceptable. But let's remember the standard quote about failing the same way many times while proceeding in the same way = insanity. A reasonable person would think PSA would start a quality control program. A reasonable person would think they would have a better means to address problems than depending on comments in a public forum being resolved by an employee that is probably working out of the goodness of his heart. Such a reasonable person might also think that a single point of contact within the company such as the poor person in "customer service" department answering the phone would have access to the information they needed to resolve problems. In my rather limited experience with them you would be wrong.

End rant. If someone can point me to a flaw in my logic or provide facts I don't have on this subject, please do. I don't think Josiah is the problem, and I am sure he is doing the best he can to help us out. Maybe his employer will step up.

Hotwrench, my point was that there is no "SPEC" for the large frame AR platforms. For the smaller AR15 there is a "SPEC", or industry standard. "SPEC", and industry standard have the same meaning in my mind.

I agree with some of your other points. I think that sometimes the growth of a company can get be faster than their ability to do good QC. I think in their effort to get parts to cover their orders they've purchased from different suppliers. Thus, the differences that have been found in their buffer tubes and buffers for the PA10 platform. So, I agree with a lot what you've said on the QC side. However, I do stick to my original statement that if there were an industry standard, aka "spec", for that platform we would be seeing far less problems and complaints about them.

Luckily for us, the end users, we have guys like Bfoosh006 that have done a lot of their work for them. Reading his work has helped me get my PA10 running good.

I forgot to add, Josiah is a Godsend as far as CS goes. Before he came to the forums PSA's customer service was decidedly lacking. Thankfully, I've only really needed CS just this one particular time. As I've been reading about .308AR's I'm seeing that broken extractors seems to happen to other companies in their larger platforms.

8 hours ago, mley1 said:

Hotwrench, my point was that there is no "SPEC" for the large frame AR platforms. For the smaller AR15 there is a "SPEC", or industry standard. "SPEC", and industry standard have the same meaning in my mind.

I agree with some of your other points. I think that sometimes the growth of a company can get be faster than their ability to do good QC. I think in their effort to get parts to cover their orders they've purchased from different suppliers. Thus, the differences that have been found in their buffer tubes and buffers for the PA10 platform. So, I agree with a lot what you've said on the QC side. However, I do stick to my original statement that if there were an industry standard, aka "spec", for that platform we would be seeing far less problems and complaints about them.

Luckily for us, the end users, we have guys like Bfoosh006 that have done a lot of their work for them. Reading his work has helped me get my PA10 running good.

You are right that a spec would help, less variation in the available parts. I am glad that I found this resource for knowledge on the .308AR. Without it we would really be in deep yogurt. I believe if I had found this site first I might have gone a different way to acquire a .308AR. But I will do what I can with the PA10 for now.  The problem PSA has now is they have fouled their reputation by putting out sub optimal parts. See how I did that, went all diplomatic.

Seems like a lot of us have done that.  Buy a new rifle, pistol and then start having failures, then seeking help.  Many of us are older and have been used to buying new USA made firearms and then start shooting them without ever having any failures.  It ain't like that now a days....... 

The first thing I found with my LR308 after break in was how sorry the trigger was.  A aftermarket drop in trigger unit was a big improvement.   I didn't have a problem with the original adjustable butt stock,  added a rubber butt pad. Still have the original fore end/hand guard.  I don't really care for the hollow round metal free floating hand guards. Too used to M1s and M1a and bolt guns lever rifles I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

Josiah came through for me!! Thank you so much Josiah for your help getting my issue handled!!

Y'all, Josiah went above and beyond what I expected by sending me a complete new bolt carrier group. It was my extractor that broke. I figured he'd send an extractor, or maybe a bolt, but he sent an entire new bolt carrier group. You can't beat that kind of customer service!!

28870934_10211289115932258_8956833100973

On 2/26/2018 at 2:05 PM, mrmackc said:

Seems like a lot of us have done that.  Buy a new rifle, pistol and then start having failures, then seeking help.  Many of us are older and have been used to buying new USA made firearms and then start shooting them without ever having any failures.  It ain't like that now a days....... 

The first thing I found with my LR308 after break in was how sorry the trigger was.  A aftermarket drop in trigger unit was a big improvement.   I didn't have a problem with the original adjustable butt stock,  added a rubber butt pad. Still have the original fore end/hand guard.  I don't really care for the hollow round metal free floating hand guards. Too used to M1s and M1a and bolt guns lever rifles I reckon.

I can remember my dad having some issues with an old bolt action 16ga shotgun a time or two. He had some issues with it not extracting shells a few times. I'm not sure what he did with it, but it worked well enough after that. Then the stock cracked right at the grip, and we screwed, and glued, it back together. That old shotgun kicked like a mule. We never had any trouble out of any of our rifles, except an old semi auto .22. I can't remember the brand anymore, but Remington seems to come to mind. It was a jammomatic. My dad hated it. He sold it off. All our big game rifles worked great. We never had nothing real expensive, mostly just Remingtons and Savages. Good solid rifles that just worked. I never got into semi auto rifles and pistols until I started my career in corrections and law enforcement.

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

They have upped the game.  Big time.

That is BADASS!  :hail:

Yessir!! You can't beat that kind of customer service. Josiah took care of business, and went way above what I expected from PSA. He is a man of his word, and he WILL take care of you better than you expected.

Josiah, if you read this - the fix for your Carbine recoil system is... - make the dimensions match Armalite AR-10 components. I don't know about copyright info on that, and what you'll have to do, or if it's even a problem.  VLTOR makes a receiver extension for their A5 (AR15) buffer system that is identical in internal depth to the AR-10 Carbine receiver extension - so I don't know what they're doing, in the copyright world. I can tell you this much - I can run the VLTOR A5 receiver extension on my AR-10 recoil system, and there will never be an issue. I can run a genuine Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension with my VLTOR A5 buffer components (on an AR15), and there will never be a problem.  The two receiver extensions are identical in internal depth. 

Make your Large Frame carbine receiver extension meets the internal depth requirement that is necessary to run the AR15 H3 Carbine buffer, and use an appropriate spring.  Not too long, internally - like the one I personally measured on my buddy's rifle... that thing had almost 8" internal depth.  No more stacking quarters to take up the extra space.

You solve that issue, and it'll mean alot to customers.  No more carriers slamming into lower receiver ears, etc.  There are customers out there that don't even know that they are damaging their rifles, every time they fire them.  They just don't know.

Doing this would go a long way in improving the 308 platform function...

Edited by 98Z5V

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Josiah, if you read this - the fix for your Carbine recoil system is... - make the dimensions match Armalite AR-10 components. I don't know about copyright info on that, and what you'll have to do, or if it's even a problem.  VLTOR makes a receiver extension for their A5 (AR15) buffer system that is identical in internal depth to the AR-10 Carbine receiver extension - so I don't know what they're doing, in the copyright world. I can tell you this much - I can run the VLTOR A5 receiver extension on my AR-10 recoil system, and there will never be an issue. I can run a genuine Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension with my VLTOR A5 buffer components (on an AR15), and there will never be a problem.  The two receiver extensions are identical in internal depth. 

Make your Large Frame carbine receiver extension meets the internal depth requirement that is necessary to run the AR15 H3 Carbine buffer, and use an appropriate spring.  Not too long, internally - like the one I personally measured on my buddy's rifle... that thing had almost 8" internal depth.  No more stacking quarters to take up the extra space.

You solve that issue, and it'll mean alot to customers.  No more carriers slamming into lower receiver ears, etc.  There are customers out there that don't even know that they are damaging their rifles, every time they fire them.  They just don't know.

Doing this would go a long way in improving the 308 platform function...

If they'd fix that issue and the over gassing they'd sell a metric ton of those rifles every day if they could produce that many.

5 minutes ago, mley1 said:

If they'd fix that issue and the over gassing they'd sell a metric ton of those rifles every day if they could produce that many.

That's all gas port drilling size in the barrel, right there.  Anyone with one of these beasts ever measure the gas port diameter?  Gas system dictates, barrel length dictates, but there a certain range on gas port size that you should go, based on those two factors.  They're apparently overgassing them, so they'll feed any kind of ammo.

I know one thing for certain, @survivalshop knows where to get the link for "standard" gas port sizes,off the top of his head...   :thumbup:  Maybe he'll link it in here. 

BAM.  Done.  Here it is:

Edited by 98Z5V