• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wisdom needed or magic fu fu dust!

I changed my entire buffer system,  Armalite rifle tube, spring and only because the Armalite buffer was backordered a DPMS buffer. I weighted and measured just to be sure and the buffer was the same as the reported Armalite specs. The issue requiring wisdom or magic is now the rifle throws the brass in front of the rifle (1 oclock). With the out of spec PSA carbine buffer the brass went between 2 and 3 o clock. Do I have a problem or am I just looking for one?

2 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

I changed my entire buffer system,  Armalite rifle tube, spring and only because the Armalite buffer was backordered a DPMS buffer. I weighted and measured just to be sure and the buffer was the same as the reported Armalite specs. The issue requiring wisdom or magic is now the rifle throws the brass in front of the rifle (1 oclock). With the out of spec PSA carbine buffer the brass went between 2 and 3 o clock. Do I have a problem or am I just looking for one?

Silly question, but...  RIFLE buffer, right?  You switch from a carbine system to rifle system, complete? 

308AR rifle buffers are 5.200" long, for DPMS and Armalite=based recoil systems, so it doesn't matter which one you grabbed, honestly.  You also went from about a 3oz buffer to a 5 1/2 oz buffer. That should have slowed down your recoil impulse.

I don't care about those clock-charts, that show which direction brass is ejecting, and all the voodoo it means.  I care THAT brass is ejecting, and my rifle functions.   

Adjustable gas blocks shouldn't be necessary for proper rifle function, not in the least...  That's candy...

He just went with a heavier buffer, from standard 3oz carbine to rifle buffer. 

Something else might be going on,but if the rifle is functioning, I wouldn't even be worried about some ejection-pattern BS on it.

And he changed from a carbine spring to a rifle length spring... and it is still functioning.

If he wants to tune it more, I stand by my suggestion.

I've never quite understood why anyone wouldn't want a softer recoiling, still 100% functioning firearm...

If I could shoot my .308 and have it recoil like a .223... simply by changing the volume of gas flow... why wouldn't anyone want that...  easier on the shoulder, easier to stay on target, easier on the brass, easier on the parts... and still 100% function....

1 hour ago, bfoosh006 said:

And he changed from a carbine spring to a rifle length spring... and it is still functioning.

Armalite EA1095 spring - same spring in the 308, carbine and rifle.  Eugene Stoner figured that one out.  They don't need a different spring, with his design on the carbine recoil system. 

Why you think I keep preaching those parts? 

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Armalite EA1095 spring - same spring in the 308, carbine and rifle.  Eugene Stoner figured that one out.  They don't need a different spring, with his design on the carbine recoil system. 

Yeah ... well I didn't think those would work in my PSA , and I didn't haven't enough time to learn the whole Armalite system back then ;)

10 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

Shoulda used an Adj. GB... those things fix every thing... Lol

What barrel length is that blaster ?

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This one doesn't need it - it runs like a CHAMP!

I swear to GOD, you fuckers are trying to prevent me from getting this thing together...

That’s MY rifle!!! That BAMF has a 13.7” barrel with an Armalite pinned comp. One of the sickest rifles I’ve shot to date. 1st trigger pull I was dead nuts on target, and blasting steel. 

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

That’s MY rifle!!! That BAMF has a 13.7” barrel with an Armalite pinned comp. One of the sickest rifles I’ve shot to date. 1st trigger pull I was dead nuts on target, and blasting steel. 

It's a fuckin' beast.  It's my favorite 308AR, by far.  :thumbup:

On 3/3/2018 at 1:41 AM, 98Z5V said:

Just so I understand, same buffer spring carbine and rifle?  But the tube and buffer on AR15 and AR10 rifle are different? I need to be told a bunch of times so it will sink into the soild stone brain.

By the way the PA10 now that it has a proper rifle buffer system shoots good and hits the target, twice for each pull of the trigger. Once by the bullet and close behind that the ejected shell, well at least under 100 yards. It really flings that brass foward but goes bang every time. Now remember, I told you a million times, don't exaggerate.

On 3/3/2018 at 2:12 AM, 98Z5V said:

FUk me, you guys are killin' me.  I'm still trying to put a painted rifle together...

And 98 you can't fool us the only reason you painted it was to keep it from assaulting the neighbors. We know only black rifles assault folks, you wimped out with the color in order to keep your antifa creds.

Edited by Hotwrench
can't spell and neither can my android.

28 minutes ago, Hotwrench said:

Just so I understand, same buffer spring carbine and rifle?  But the tube and buffer on AR15 and AR10 rifle are different? I need to be told a bunch of times so it will sink into the soild stone brain.

308 stuff.

Rifle length recoil systems.  They all use the same receiver extension, be it A1,A2, AR-15, 308AR, whatever.  (We're not talking RRA here, just DPMS and Armalite patterns, ONLY).

So, here's the difference between A1 and A2 - the A2 stock is 5/8" longer than an A1, so you have to use a 5/8" spacer, and a new vented screw that 5/8" longer, to make that longer stock fit the "A1" rifle receiver extension.  THey both use the same extension.  AR15s and 308ARs use the same rifle receiver extension.

AR15 rifle buffers are 5.900" long.  308AR BCGs are about 0.700" longer than AR15 BCGs, and they have to work in that same rifle receiver extension depth - so 308AR rifle buffers are 5.200" long.

So, that's rifle receiver extensions and AR15 rifle buffers, and 308AR rifle buffers - not RRA.

Let's move to Carbine recoil systems in the big guys.First is DPMS-based info.  DPMS pattern uses the industry-standard AR15 Carbine Recoil Extension, which has a 7" internal depth.  AR15 carbine buffers are 3.250" long.  Now, remember, that 308AR BCG is about 0.700" longer than an AR15 BCG, and if you run the DPMS pattern carbine shiit, then you run the DPMS pattern carbine buffer, which is 2.500" long.  That way, all those parts work within the same space constraints.

Now, Armalite AR-10 Carbine parts. Armalite went about this a completely different way - and it was the original way...  They already have AR15 Carbine heavy buffers that are the appropriate weight (H3 weight) to run the AR-10 with a collapsible stock.  They really are just AR15 H3 carbine buffers, and they're 3.250" long. Now, how do you make that longer BCG work with that buffer?  Easy, you make the AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension longer.  It has an internal depth of 7 5/8".  Close enough to work well, and it does work well.

AR15 recoil springs will not work with 308ARs.  They're not strong enough.  Armalite came up with ONE spring that works for AR-10 rifle recoil systems, AND works with AR-10 carbine recoil systems.  It's the EA1095 spring. That's Armalite's part number.

Can you run that spring in a DPMS-base 308AR recoil system?  Hell yeah, you can.  Doesn't matter if it's carbine or rifle recoil systems, either - DPMS-based systems have to work within the same space constraints that the Armalite systems do.  Armalite just decided to tackle the carbine recoil system a little differently, with a heavy AR15 H3 carbine buffer and longer tube, instead of a standard AR15 tube and some shortened, lightass buffer.  :thumbup:

Thus endeth the sermon.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...