• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How to tune My brass ejection to soft and close...

Magwa

Ok I am trying like hell to break out of my Funk I have been in for the last few months and so I have gone back and watched the Magpul  movies art of the Tactical carbine and one of the instructors Not Travis Haley but the other one has a SBR that just barley throws his brass and it looks to be a sweet shooting carbine so what do I need to purchase to start on this path?

I will be shooting a SBR 5.56 223 Wylde chamber 10 inch barrel adjustable gas block and standard carbine spring and buffer...

My goal is to have the brass within 3 ft or so and have a smoother less recoil rifle.. I also have the option to shoot suppressed with tuning this way have a negative effect on that? or should I just forget about it and go eat a sandwich? or am I dreaming ?

It's not an SBR but I did a low mass build that has been a very sweet shooter and reliable once I got the bugs out. The brass will fall just a few feet away like you describe. I shoot it with the SDN-6 all the time, super soft. I may change the spring out for the Tubbs reduced power version, I have one in a 300 BO build and like how it works in this build when I swapped them around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, Magwa said:

Ok I am trying like hell to break out of my Funk I have been in for the last few months and so I have gone back and watched the Magpul  movies art of the Tactical carbine and one of the instructors Not Travis Haley but the other one has a SBR that just barley throws his brass and it looks to be a sweet shooting carbine so what do I need to purchase to start on this path?

I will be shooting a SBR 5.56 223 Wylde chamber 10 inch barrel adjustable gas block and standard carbine spring and buffer...

My goal is to have the brass within 3 ft or so and have a smoother less recoil rifle.. I also have the option to shoot suppressed with tuning this way have a negative effect on that? or should I just forget about it and go eat a sandwich? or am I dreaming ?

Eating a sammich won't hurt

29 minutes ago, terrt_tr6 said:

cheap start is to get a spare ejector spring and start trimming. 

^^^  Yep, what he said. Remove the ejector from the bolt body.  Leave the spring in there,make sure it's fully inserted.  Note exactly how much spring sticks out of the bolt body. Trim the appropriate amount of spring off  - OFF - so the spring is flush with the bolt body. 

That is exactly how much spring you need for reliable ejection.  You don't need more than that.

Give it a shot, brother.  :thumbup:

@Magwa

as always you guys rock a JP capture spring , a tunable gas block and a smig off the ejector spring have made it very very sweetnow I am having fun again...going to shoot long range (my first) tomorrow with 6.5 Creedmore I am sure i will get my ass handed to me but I am a fast learner....carry on and thanks again brothers