• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lubricants

• 4 weeks later...

What got me started on this is that I am a big fan of HBN coatings (Hexagonal Boron Nitride) and started following it at about the same time David Tubb was testing it. It has been available in powder form for some time now, but a powder is tough to apply to moving internal parts (and gets mighty expensive).

I know this is a real old post but I thought I could add some good info here,I make my own liquid HBN for treating bores, 1 part HBN powder and about 15 parts alcohol. The HBN settles out so you have to shake it good before wetting a patch. When the alcohol evaporates after application you can see a light film.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a couple of gallons of the older USGI CLP with the teflon, slicker than owl snot. i put 3 coats on prior to a build on all the parts, then assemble. i use it on bores after firing, i have mostly melonite treated barrels, i run more copper removing patches than i do for carbon removal. usually 3 for carbon and maybe 15 or so for the copper, wipe all surfaces down with a light coat of the CLP. i get the stuff when the Guard cycles and want to throw it away.

back in my M14 days oil was for cleaning everything but the bore, bore cleaner followed by oil, but all moving parts we used Lubriplate light grease, the op rod got a thin coat, the bolt roller got a heavier coating, the bolt lug and it's channel got a medium coat, the trigger group got a light oiling. the gas piston was only cleaned and run dry. i still have several cans of the Standard Oil of New Jersey light gun oil in the olive drab cans.

Edited by lasher