• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

extractor spring upgrade

commanderjjones

After only 40 shots, I'm surprised to find that the extractor spring in my new Oracle is broken.

I've seen a few different options out there but, after seeing more than one comment/review about the o-ring mod' leaving a higher than usual amount of brass shavings on the bolt face, I'm not keen on the idea of adding an o-ring to the spring. So I'm leaning  toward installing the LaRue double spring. I'm far from being an AR authority and am still learning, but that seems to make way my sense to me.

Any thoughts or personal experience with that???

Edited by commanderjjones

2 hours ago, commanderjjones said:

Well, the LaRue double spring setup is for their proprietary BCG and is not compatible with the DPMS, so now it's back to searching other options.

Commander     why waste time on searching for the unicorn? Put the DPMS spring kit back in spring ,insert ,oring and go shoot...:thumbup:Wash

1 hour ago, washguy said:

Commander     why waste time on searching for the unicorn? Put the DPMS spring kit back in spring ,insert ,oring and go shoot...:thumbup:Wash

Yea, I know. I assume the original breaking was just a fluke and it would probably run indefinitely with the stock DPMS spring.......but since the original has already broken and it wouldn't be worth my time to contact DPMS, I'm going to upgrade since I'm replacing it anyway.

Just an FYI.........Sprinco supplies the springs to LaRue (they referred me) and they do have a double spring kit that fits the DPMS......and it was only $9.90 with shipping.

3 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

what's the hang-up on using an o-ring? I use a plug/spring/oring in all my rifles. I don't reload and I shoot a lot of steel ammo

I don't shoot much (if any) steel, but I do reload and don't want any damaged cases. From an engineering standpoint, the double spring just seems like a more logical approach. I'll try it and see if it's all that I expect.......if not, I've wasted less than $10.

21 hours ago, commanderjjones said:

I don't shoot much (if any) steel, but I do reload and don't want any damaged cases. From an engineering standpoint, the double spring just seems like a more logical approach. I'll try it and see if it's all that I expect.......if not, I've wasted less than $10.

Report back on how it performs if you would.