• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

More painting, Larry project

98Z5V

This is "The Larry Project..."  :laffs::thumbup:   @392heminut

Turned into an all-paint weekend, here.  Cerakote everywhere.  Larry had a couple pistol projects he'd asked me about, and I got them completed this weekend.

Did the slide and main receiver on one pistol in SOCOM Blue, in a medium gloss finish.  Not Matte/flat, and not gloss. Man, did this color scare me!  Cerakote always comes out of the bottle darker than what it will bake at, and this looked like a dark blue in the bottle - but I thought it was black when I took it out of the oven!  Damn!  Did I mix the two bottles up?!  :lmao:  Nope, that's what it is... 

The other is Armor Black, flat finish. 

Once you get them side by side, it's easier to see the difference in the colors. 

P1060339.thumb.JPG.e5f250f3f2ba3c1607ed2e43019d7a5a.JPGP1060337.thumb.JPG.21e9c0454da40cf919a003f5c8459668.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Dayum! I can't wait to get those guns back together. I'll post pics of them here once they are assembled. Thanks brother! Great job!:thumbup:

My pleasure, by far - if you have a rifle you wanted painted dirt colors, I have an idea - bring the pieces with you, and I'll knock that thing out quick.  I have one I want to paint up, and I can paint two at once and beat both of them up. I've got an idea...   :laffs:

I need to paint the .338 Fed Pig Puncher...  might as well do two rifles...

Too damn hot in the summer here to reload, so I might as well paint shiit all summer long...  :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 5/22/2018 at 5:40 AM, edgecrusher said:

? hmmm. Might be the motivation I need to finish my Leonidas build

I'll paint that thing, too, brother.  you bring it out here stripped down, at the Fall Shoot, get here a day early, and it'll be painted before we even head out to the shootfest...  :thumbup:

Fuk it.  Being the whole gun. We'll strip it down here and get right after it, reassemble, and we can SHOOT IT at the shootfest...   :banana:

7 minutes ago, sketch said:

cant you just leave it in the desert for a day and experience the az.  affecta.. desert tan?? my shooting pad is still coverd in desert! and a few nooks and crannys. 

If I paint it beforehand...   it blends in even better, brother...   :thumbup:

I have a plan for FallShoot, this year.  For the ones that don't do High Angle...  Find me.  From Base Camp, when we're up there - take a picture of me in those rocks up there, and prove to me that camo doesn't work...  :banana:

It's either photographic evidence, or it's not... :hail:

Met up with Larry this morning, drove down to his location. Quick drive, about 25 miles from Casa De Pain to where he was.  Pulled in around 8:15am, and everybody was up and moving - Larry was up and moving WAY before the rest of the family.  I hit the address right, and pulled in right in front of a badass toyhauler, with his truck beside it. I knew I was in the right place.  Called him from in front of his toyhauler, and told him I was there.  I see feet moving in the background, behind it, and I think it's Larry...

HOLY SHIIT! Some giant dude comes around the corner of the camper...  I'm talking about a monster...  I stick my hand out and say, "I'm Tom, how are ya?" That was Jesse, Larry's oldest son - and Larry comes through the door of the camper...  "So, you met my oldest son..."

"Uh, yeah - you CAN'T make small ones, can ya?!!?"

We get into the camper, and immediately, Larry's wife tells me she's got biscuits and gravy already done, do I want eggs, and have I had breakfast yet. I hadn't eaten breakfast, but you don't turn that down, ever. Awesome...  

We get to the painted gun parts, the pistol goodies, and transition to the latest paint on the newest Grendel.  I end up taking a rifle from Larry to paint - his truck gun - plus a badass Cumbre Malpais Stout beer - and they're all heading to an aquarium in Phx.  I was lifting the tab on that beer right then, and Larry says, "You don't have to drink that right now, if you don't want to..."  I was ready to start on it right then...  :laffs:  We didn't stop talking until the others were saying "Hey, you ready to leave? We're heading out..."  :lmao:

Awesome short meet-up again, and I appreciate the hospitality more than you know, brother - that was awesome. What a badass house, and location, too. They are living my dream, brother...

At any rate, there's gonna be a couple more painted up rifles coming up soon...   Larry's truck gun, and the Pig Puncher .338 Fed...  :thumbup:

Thanks again, Larry, for an awesome morning, leading into a great weekend...  :hail:

I just finished that beer, brother, and it's badass... 

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Met up with Larry this morning, drove down to his location. Quick drive, about 25 miles from Casa De Pain to where he was.  Pulled in around 8:15am, and everybody was up and moving - Larry was up and moving WAY before the rest of the family.  I hit the address right, and pulled in right in front of a badass toyhauler, with his truck beside it. I knew I was in the right place.  Called him from in front of his toyhauler, and told him I was there.  I see feet moving in the background, behind it, and I think it's Larry...

HOLY SHIIT! Some giant dude comes around the corner of the camper...  I'm talking about a monster...  I stick my hand out and say, "I'm Tom, how are ya?" That was Jesse, Larry's oldest son - and Larry comes through the door of the camper...  "So, you met my oldest son..."

"Uh, yeah - you CAN'T make small ones, can ya?!!?"

We get into the camper, and immediately, Larry's wife tells me she's got biscuits and gravy already done, do I want eggs, and have I had breakfast yet. I hadn't eaten breakfast, but you don't turn that down, ever. Awesome...  

We get to the painted gun parts, the pistol goodies, and transition to the latest paint on the newest Grendel.  I end up taking a rifle from Larry to paint - his truck gun - plus a badass Cumbre Malpais Stout beer - and they're all heading to an aquarium in Phx.  I was lifting the tab on that beer right then, and Larry says, "You don't have to drink that right now, if you don't want to..."  I was ready to start on it right then...  :laffs:  We didn't stop talking until the others were saying "Hey, you ready to leave? We're heading out..."  :lmao:

Awesome short meet-up again, and I appreciate the hospitality more than you know, brother - that was awesome. What a badass house, and location, too. They are living my dream, brother...

At any rate, there's gonna be a couple more painted up rifles coming up soon...   Larry's truck gun, and the Pig Puncher .338 Fed...  :thumbup:

Thanks again, Larry, for an awesome morning, leading into a great weekend...  :hail:

I just finished that beer, brother, and it's badass... 

You had me at home made biscuits and gravy ???

Glad you liked the beer brother! BTW, Mayra is the breakfast queen, she can make breakfast in no time and with pretty much whatever is in the fridge. She's made some amazing omelettes with leftovers.

My son Jesse is the second oldest boy, the oldest is up in Alaska. To put Tom's comments in perspective, he is getting ready for his first body building competition and he didn't really need to put on any muscle when he decided to do it, just cut weight. Fukker is as big as a house! Josh is a bit smaller version of his brother Those two get those genetics from my wife, nobody in my family can put on that kind of muscle!

Just got Josh's gun together and it is badazzed! I'll wait until I have the wife's gun together to post pics.

15 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Glad you liked the beer brother! BTW, Mayra is the breakfast queen, she can make breakfast in no time and with pretty much whatever is in the fridge. She's made some amazing omelettes with leftovers.

My son Jesse is the second oldest boy, the oldest is up in Alaska. To put Tom's comments in perspective, he is getting ready for his first body building competition and he didn't really need to put on any muscle when he decided to do it, just cut weight. Fukker is as big as a house! Josh is a bit smaller version of his brother Those two get those genetics from my wife, nobody in my family can put on that kind of muscle!

Just got Josh's gun together and it is badazzed! I'll wait until I have the wife's gun together to post pics.

It’s then Cuban genes.........seriously!

22 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Man, I haven't seen her for a couple years now - more than that, Jake was still in the house then. Damn...  I hope she can come out to the Fall Shoot.

Can't wait to see these pistolas, brother!