• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Some stuffs I need

blue109

Would like to finish up this A2. I have a magpul carbine handguard in FDE and a few VTAC flashlight mounts I can trade or let me know how much $:

Rifle length USGI handguard

Rifle length gas tube

A2 flash hider

Beat up buffer? I actually only need the  poly bumper and pin at the rear so if you have a trashed buffer in any length I can use it. 

20180916_110147.jpg

Edited by blue109

56 minutes ago, sketch said:

@98Z5V did you use all of that buffer? blue could use the bumper if not.. 

That buffer bumper was cut short, to make it RRA-compatible.  It won't work in his setup.  Or anything, really.

It would work if he stacks up a bunch of quarters, sothat part is a go - if @blue109 wants to do that. 

Hey rob...ill keep that as a maybe for now...id prefer one factory looking if possible. 

@98Z5V...school me tom. you think it would make that much difference?  The buffer isnt suppose to slam into the back of the extension every shot right? The bumper is just there in case it does like on 4x4 suspension? Or will I be risking the carrier going back too far?

20 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Hey rob...ill keep that as a maybe for now...id prefer one factory looking if possible. 

@98Z5V...school me tom. you think it would make that much difference?  The buffer isnt suppose to slam into the back of the extension every shot right? The bumper is just there in case it does like on 4x4 suspension? Or will I be risking the carrier going back too far?

You won't be risking the carrier going back too far - if you stack quarters.  This bumper is shortened. You'll definitely need to make up that distance.

The bumper hits the rear everytime - sometimes HARD, sometimes just a little.  If it hits it hard, and your recoil spring is right - you need a heavier buffer.  If it barely "taps" it, you might never notice the problem. But your spring might be too strong, your gas port just a bit undersized, or you might need a lighter buffer...

If the recoil system matches the gas system, there is contact at the back of the receiver extension every single time.  That's what that bumper does, and you see the "bulged" or "flattened" ones when the spring is too weak, the buffer is too light, or the gas system is way overgassed.  If the bumper slams the extension everytime, something is out of whack in one of those two systems.

We're talking about an AR15 here, so the possibility of damage is less, than a .308, but you'd still have to make up the difference in the length of how much this bumper has been shortened.  I have the numbers, and can give you the quarter-count to do it.  

Here's some examples:

3wcsrcw-jpg.223096

buffer_zpsbjbd0x48.jpg

This is an A2 screw in an A1 stock... Doesn't really pertain, but people do it...

29pfea1.jpg

This comes from those "perfect" receiver extensions that are too long, internally:

Buffer-Retainer-Pin-_-stock_a.jpg

This is why I bitch so much about .308AR recoil systems, and the minimum buffer weight of 5.4 oz, plus the minimum spring strength of the Armalite EA1095 spring.  More spring power might be necessary - less is never good.  It doesn't work out well.

Edited by 98Z5V

• shepp locked this topic