• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Brand new AR 10 man. HELP

Cam Harrington

I'm brand new to this website so please be patient with me. I've been a reloading, bench rest shooter and hunter for over 20years.  I just had a guy to build me an AR 10 by Aero Precision. I'm looking for a good load to start with. I'm wanting to use a Nosler Ballistic Tip in 150 grain. I did see that Nosler made a 168 grain Accubond Long Range that I would try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a 20 inch match grade SS barrel if that makes a difference. Thanks guys. 

One, that is a 308AR you have. The. AR10 name is proprietary to Armalite. What is your barrel twist? I am assuming 1 in 10” or something close. The 168 gr should do very well. Rifles being the individual things they are, the only wayto find out what works best is to spend time at the range with all the loads you want to try. The rifle will tell you what it likes.

Haha. Thanks for replying. I'm just trying to cut down on wasted time. If I could hear someone say that their gun likes IMR 4034 and a certain HPBT bullet then I would start there. Or whatever they use. I'm only going to use a hunting type bullet since I'm hunting and bench rest shooting. I have a 200 yard range in my backyard and that's as far as I could get it. Anymore help would be appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!?

RL-15 and Varget are great powders for the .308 Win loads, I can vouch for both of those, in varying bullet weights.

Since this is another one in the Contests Section - did I win one of your benchrest bolt guns?  That's what I pick, since you never stated a prize. 

Edited by 98Z5V

58 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Since this is another one in the Contests Section - did I win one of your benchrest bolt guns?  That's what I pick, since you never stated a prize. 

I just don’t understand how this keeps happening 

welcome from wisconsin cam! 

Welcome from San Diego. Out of curiosity, what browser did you use to sign up on the forum?  It seems a lot of first posts keep winding up in the contest section. Either there's a plan out there to drive us nuts, or something is up. And it's ALWAYS that section when it goes wrong. Some make it in and head right off to other topics or to the into thread, but for some reason guys just keep popping up in there. Some of them got harassed a little about it - feel a little sorry knowing it might be a bit of a bug.