• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why sell an AR10 with a H buffer?

Str8shooter

• 1 month later...

I bought my PA10 a while back, and have had it a couple years. I was blind as a bat, so to speak, when I bought it. And, I did what 98Z5V said a lot of folks do. I thought it was over gassed. So, I put on an adjustable gas block. I added tungsten weights to make it a H3 buffer. I added a couple quarters in the tube to stop the BCG from hitting the rear of the receiver. I never changed out the gas tube for a longer one, and I have never even looked to see how long it is. I've never changed out the recoil spring either. I guess I'm pretty lucky it runs good. Well, it seems to run good anyway, to me. Everything I've done to it seems to work, and work pretty well. I've not had any problems since I've made the mods and gotten the gas block adjusted.

So, I guess my question is whether there are two ways to skin this cat? Or, am I shooting a rifle that likely will need further modification in the future? I do expect to have to change out recoil springs at some point in the future, like you would with any semiautomatic firearm. So, I wouldn't really count that as a modification unless I changed to a different spring other than what PSA put in it. And, if I did, couldn't I just readjust the gas block to accommodate the new spring?

• 3 weeks later...

New PA-10 owner whose rifle was having problems ejecting brass.  I swapped out the carbine stock for an A2 buttstock that I had from my AR-15.  The underweight "H" carbine buffer was contacting the lower and the buffer spring was, according to the chart, too short.   Next I purchased from Futon Armory a 308 rifle buffer, 308 rifle buffer spring and 15.5" gas tube.    I also splurged on a JP enhanced extractor which I tested BEFORE installing the buffer parts and it did fix 99% of the ejection problems.  I had one failure to eject out of 50 rounds instead of 1 in 5.  The JP extractor has a much stronger spring but I think more importantly, a deeper groove to allow it to hold on the case better.   The PSA extractor was able to slip off the case way too easily. 

The remainder of the issues I expect to have corrected once I can get to the range with the recoil/gas system repairs.   The rifle buffer is now the correct length and will not allow the carrier to come into contact with the lower (no quarters needed).   With the heavier buffer and the proper spring I also expect the felt recoil to be improved. 

e3RIftb.jpg  Pic of my lower showing carrier contact.

So I finally have an update. 

I was able to get out and attempt to shoot the rifle.  

Shocked (sarcasm)to report the incorrect buffer was sent with the lower and the bcg would not lock back. The bolt was unable to charge all the way back.  I did reach out to PSA by email. Their response was to have to send the entire rifle back to them.  After looking into it I diagnosed the actual issue and replaced the correct buffer size. I then sent response to PSA.   I will give you a guess if I have heard back from them since I responded 6 days ago.......rifle cycles and locks back fine now.  

Well no shocker but as of yet PSA still hasn't responded to me about sending me a new correct size buffer.  Glad I didn't wait on them to get a new one.  What I really can't figure out is how they have such poor customer service????????  

LOL  I'm sure this is nothing new to some of you.

11 hours ago, sketch said:

they are busy .  glad you are rocking and rolling!

Lol. I truly hope that isn’t what you think. They are busy so don’t worry that an ongoing problem of incorrect parts being sold with weapons should be responded to in a timely manner or at all. Much less the fact the customer had to buy the correct part himself with zero attempt to even send the correct part to him. 

Have you ever bought a new car?  And it was down because they sold it with a incorrect part?  They are busy so get to it maybe........

37 minutes ago, Str8shooter said:

Which problem?  The customer service problem or the incorrect parts being placed in weapons problem??

Think about it, they are related. They have to know by now about this recurring issue, yet customer service doesn’t take steps to correct it for the affected customers, and PSA hasn’t made necessary changes in their PA10 rifles. One problem has caused both to continue; a failure of company leadership. And that is the real problem at this juncture.

33 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Think about it, they are related. They have to know by now about this recurring issue, yet customer service doesn’t take steps to correct it for the affected customers, and PSA hasn’t made necessary changes in their PA10 rifles. One problem has caused both to continue; a failure of company leadership. And that is the real problem at this juncture.

+1 to that answer.  I just wanted to have another person say it.  Starts with the tone the leadership sets.

The interviews I have seen, that Bfoosh linked in in other threads, PSA wants to become a major player in the manufacturing end, and they are saying all the right things. All it takes though, is one continuing sore spot like this, and their reputation will end up in the  schitter. Talk is cheap. From all appearances if they fixed that, they would have an interesting product. Might have a problem of an iron clad contract with the recoil system supplier that they can’t get out of, in return for a dirt cheap price. If that is the case, they are hosed, and so is their reputation. Well, stock up on the Armalite Recoil system. They appreciate the business.

9 hours ago, Str8shooter said:

Lol. I truly hope that isn’t what you think. They are busy so don’t worry that an ongoing problem of incorrect parts being sold with weapons should be responded to in a timely manner or at all. Much less the fact the customer had to buy the correct part himself with zero attempt to even send the correct part to him. 

Have you ever bought a new car?  And it was down because they sold it with a incorrect part?  They are busy so get to it maybe........

yeah i agree with you're statement and sisco's. I think they have issues. 

Where's the rep we had on the forum? hit him up!  Im not giving up yet,  but not buying the problems they sell either! 

Glad you're up and running!🍻👍

14 hours ago, sketch said:

yeah i agree with you're statement and sisco's. I think they have issues. 

Where's the rep we had on the forum? hit him up!  Im not giving up yet,  but not buying the problems they sell either! 

Glad you're up and running!🍻👍

I’m damn glad it’s up and running also. Clearly if buying PSA go in with eyes open. I expected issues and while this was my first ar10 style I’ve built numerous ar15’s and know where to seek help and information like this website. 

Now to dial in what it likes and see how good I can get this to shoot.  The the higher end components I’ve added should negate the PSA stock barrel and BCG.