• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix arms 308 build DPMS

Bigphil87

Yep.  Buffer length and weight, what the maker of the spring is, and what it's for (.308, 5.56, carbine, rifle, etc.).  We know the length, what's the coil count on it...

Internal depth of the receiver extension - stick a take measure down it, and see how long it is, internally.

That looks like a 3.250" long buffer inside a 7.000" internal depth receiver extension.  Fine for AR15s, not for .308ARs.

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Need buffer, spring and receiver extension specs. 

My buffer 2 1/2 inch long weight about 3.6oz, buffer tube internal is about 6”and little pass 3/4” and spring is 11” long and if I counting it  the correct way it have 27 coils and It just a standard spring 

4293D407-5D1E-46E2-A0FB-D48953DC519D.jpeg

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Yep.  Buffer length and weight, what the maker of the spring is, and what it's for (.308, 5.56, carbine, rifle, etc.).  We know the length, what's the coil count on it...

Internal depth of the receiver extension - stick a take measure down it, and see how long it is, internally.

That looks like a 3.250" long buffer inside a 7.000" internal depth receiver extension.  Fine for AR15s, not for .308ARs.

I need a different buffer tube?

22 minutes ago, Bigphil87 said:

I need a different buffer tube?

Most definitely - that receiver extension is even too short (internally) to use on an AR15.  It's unusable on just about everything except a .22LR conversion.

The buffer length is good for a 7.000" internal depth, standard (correct standard) AR15 carbine receiver extension.  The weight sucks, at 3.6oz, but it might work with that weird spring.  That receiver extension has to go, and get replaced with a quality one that has the correct internal depth.  Just buy an AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension from a reputable manufacturer, and you'll be okay.

Once that's solved, don't be surprised if the gun feels "over-gassed."  That won't be the case, though, in reality, it'll be "under-recoiled." That will come from the lighter buffer weight and a weird spring.  Fix one thing at a time and fire it - try it out - though. Get a new receiver extension first.

Next step after that is to get a Sprinco Orange recoil spring.  That's gonna have to be done, anyway, I'll bet.

It's described on this page - the Sprinco website.  Many vendors sell it, so you don't necesarily need to get it directly from Sprinco.  Last one I purchased, I went through Weapon Outfitters for it.

Sprinco:

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Edited by 98Z5V

28 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Most definitely - that receiver extension is even too short (internally) to use on an AR15.  It's unusable on just about everything except a .22LR conversion.

The buffer length is good for a 7.000" internal depth, standard (correct standard) AR15 carbine receiver extension.  The weight sucks, at 3.6oz, but it might work with that weird spring.  That receiver extension has to go, and get replaced with a quality one that has the correct internal depth.  Just buy an AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension from a reputable manufacturer, and you'll be okay.

Once that's solved, don't be surprised if the gun feels "over-gassed."  That won't be the case, though, in reality, it'll be "under-recoiled." That will come from the lighter buffer weight and a weird spring.  Fix one thing at a time and fire it - try it out - though. Get a new receiver extension first.

Next step after that is to get a Sprinco Orange recoil spring.  That's gonna have to be done, anyway, I'll bet.

It's described on this page - the Sprinco website.  Many vendors sell it, so you don't necesarily need to get it directly from Sprinco.  Last one I purchased, I went through Weapon Outfitters for it.

Sprinco:

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

I really appreciate the advise! What Buffer tube and buffer weight you using? I was reading some reviews with the kak buffer 5.4oz and the sprinco orange Spring. I wanted to make sure be I purchase. 

Edited by Bigphil87

5.4oz is the target weight of the buffer that you want to hit.  The KAK shorty 2.500" buffer is 5.3oz, and it's so close it wouldn't make a difference.

If you wanna go ahead and do it all now, you'll be better off.  If you're doing a complete replacement of the recoil system, you have two patterns to choose from.  (1) Straight Armalite AR-10 Carbine (7 5/8" internal depth extension, true AR15 H3 carbine buffer at 3.250" long and 5.4oz, EA1095 recoil spring).  (2) Quality mil-spec AR15 extension at 7.000" internal depth,  KAK 2.500" heavy buffer at 5.3oz, Sprinco Orange spring.  Either of those two will run like a champ. Any other functional issues you might have will NOT be recoil-system related. 

I run the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system on 3 of them, and run the 7.000" depth extension, Sprinco Orange, and homebrewed 5.7oz shorty buffer (2.500") on the .260 Remington.  I only did that to try it out, different from an Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system, and it works great.

If you can't find the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system complete, I can help you piece one together from known, verified parts. 

This is what you're looking for:  Armalite Part Number AR10REKIT01...

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

On the website, it's not in stock. That's not always accurate - you have to CALL Armalite to get the real deal on inventory...  It's worth the call, and if not in stock, you start hunting, or we piece it together.  Armalite:  800-336-0184

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

5.4oz is the target weight of the buffer that you want to hit.  The KAK shorty 2.500" buffer is 5.3oz, and it's so close it wouldn't make a difference.

If you wanna go ahead and do it all now, you'll be better off.  If you're doing a complete replacement of the recoil system, you have two patterns to choose from.  (1) Straight Armalite AR-10 Carbine (7 5/8" internal depth extension, true AR15 H3 carbine buffer at 3.250" long and 5.4oz, EA1095 recoil spring).  (2) Quality mil-spec AR15 extension at 7.000" internal depth,  KAK 2.500" heavy buffer at 5.3oz, Sprinco Orange spring.  Either of those two will run like a champ. Any other functional issues you might have will NOT be recoil-system related. 

I run the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system on 3 of them, and run the 7.000" depth extension, Sprinco Orange, and homebrewed 5.7oz shorty buffer (2.500") on the .260 Remington.  I only did that to try it out, different from an Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system, and it works great.

If you can't find the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system complete, I can help you piece one together from known, verified parts. 

This is what you're looking for:  Armalite Part Number AR10REKIT01...

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

On the website, it's not in stock. That's not always accurate - you have to CALL Armalite to get the real deal on inventory...  It's worth the call, and if not in stock, you start hunting, or we piece it together.  Armalite:  800-336-0184

Thank you! I just measured my buffer tube on my 9mm and ar15 they both are 7” internal depth. In the trash that buffer tube go, thanks again. I will be ordering a buffer tube,buffer,and spring. I’ll let you know how she run.

4 hours ago, Bigphil87 said:

Thank you! I just measured my buffer tube on my 9mm and ar15 they both are 7” internal depth. In the trash that buffer tube go, thanks again. I will be ordering a buffer tube,buffer,and spring. I’ll let you know how she run.

Save it for a dedicated .22LR build.  You don't want that yet - but you will...   :thumbup::laffs: