• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas and buffer tube PA10

SpairParts

Im wanting to change my stock out and after doing a bunch of reading here its not as straight forward as i thought and sense my gun functions fine i almost hate to mess with it. I do have a adjustable gas block on it also.

Looks like i will need a Armalite mid length gas tube.

Buffer tube,spring, weight has me all confused though.  Here are my current parts. Can i use any or do i need to replace them all?

IMG_20181207_095346886.jpg

IMG_20181207_094838985.jpg

IMG_20181207_104536100.jpg

IMG_20181207_095602801.jpg

You have a carbine receiver extension there, in that pic, at 7 5/8" internal depth.  That's a carbine buffer, too.  3.8oz tells me it's H1-weighted.  Get the length on it, but it looks like 3.250" regular AR15 H1 buffer.

Your gas tube isn't doing you any justice, that's for certain.  Switching it out for the longer one would help you.

Edited by 98Z5V

23 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You have a carbine receiver extension there, in that pic, at 7 5/8" internal depth.  That's a carbine buffer, too.  3.8oz tells me it's H1-weighted.  Get the length on it, but it looks like 3.250" regular AR15 H1 buffer.

Your gas tube isn't doing you any justice, that's for certain.  Switching it out for the longer one would help you.

if he buys the rifle stalk as a kit.. it should work? but might need a longer gas tube as its a tad short .  

op you can build around your spare parts! 

1 minute ago, sketch said:

if he buys the rifle stalk as a kit.. it should work?

Only if he buys it for a 308AR, and not an AR15.  I'd still put it together from pieces, so you know they didn't jack the spring up - UNLESS you buy it from Armalite or straight from DPMS. 

^^^  Had to humor SS there, and throw that "DPMS perfection" to him.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Hardly any vendors jack up the 5.200" 308 rifle buffer.  It's pretty safe to get that anywhere.  Have to have a rifle length receiver extension, and hardly anyone jacks that up either.  For a spring, I'd personally go with the Armalite EA1095 spring, and be done with it.

13 minutes ago, SpairParts said:

Im gonna go with the Magpull stock.

So i need a rifle length tube, a 5.200 308 rifle buffer and a Armalite spring and a Armalite mid length gas tube.

Sound about right?

Before you jump to that - Armalite doesn't make a midlength gas tube for 308s, and you never gave barrel specifics.  You 16" Carbine gas here, or 18" Midlength gas?...

Gotta know what you have right now... If you're running AR15 midlength gas, then you need the "Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube" to solve that issue.

.308AR rifle buffer (5.200" long and 5.4oz), Any old AR15 Rifle Receiver Extension, and Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.  That's gonna work in any MagPul Rifle Buttstock.  MagPul includes the vented buttstock screw to work with those parts.

49 minutes ago, SpairParts said:

Barrel is 18in 1/10 twist.

well close as i can measure with out tearing apart the gun the gas tube measures 11 5/8 so i guess Carbine length.

The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube (Armalite Part # 10007005) measures a true 12 1/16".  That's what you need.  I was just pointing out the terminology difference between these platforms.

You ask a vendor for an Armalite AR-10 midlength gas tube, and you're either getting a gas tube for an AR15 from them, which will be the same exact thing you have now, or you have a SMART vendor that will send you what you need, not what you asked for...  :thumbup:

It's OOS at Armalite right now, per the website, but you need to call them on the phone to get accurate inventory.  However, it IS in stock at DSG Arms right now, as I type this...

https://dsgarms.com/arm10007005

On 12/17/2018 at 9:11 PM, 98Z5V said:

Only if he buys it for a 308AR, and not an AR15.  I'd still put it together from pieces, so you know they didn't jack the spring up - UNLESS you buy it from Armalite or straight from DPMS. 

^^^  Had to humor SS there, and throw that "DPMS perfection" to him.  :thumbup:

Gee , thanks , bro !?

I count 39 Coils on his present Buffer Spring , Whats the length ?  Whats the Coil count/length on an AR 10 Spring 98 ?

Carbine length 308AR  Gas systems seem to work ok with that much Gas Tube protrusion , but changing it will not hurt , as long as it's not too long. 

I really liked the Magpul Rife Stock , I want to change my 20" HB Build to one , at some point .

7 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Gee , thanks , bro !?

I count 39 Coils on his present Buffer Spring , Whats the length ?  Whats the Coil count/length on an AR 10 Spring 98 ?

34 coils and 13.75" relaxed.  0.072" wire diameter, and it compresses to 2.448" before coil bind...

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

So this Buffer Spring is probably for an AR 15 Carbine !

I highly doubt it.  The AR15 Carbine spring should be 39 coils, 11.25" relaxed length, 0.072" wire diameter, and compress length of 2.808".

The Armalite EA1095 spring ain't no AR15 Carbine spring, that's for sure.

14 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I was referring to the one posted by the Op, it has 39 coils.

Hell, I thought you were telling me that the data I posted on the EA1095 was probably an AR15 spring...   I misread that, but you quoted me that way...   :laffs::thumbup:

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hell, I thought you were telling me that the data I posted on the EA1095 was probably an AR15 spring...   I misread that, but you quoted me that way...   :laffs::thumbup:

Yes , I should have made my self clearer , but I think in your old age your getting hard of hearing ?

But it looks to me he has a AR 15 Carbine Spring , AR 15 Buffer " H " Buffer & a AR 10 Receiver Extension & its seems like its working , more confusion from PSA.

He is going to a Rifle system , so as long as he gets the correct Components , he should be good to go ,

Edited by survivalshop

8 hours ago, SpairParts said:

Spring is probably wrong but damn i cant find the Armalite spring in stock that 98Z posted or one with the proper spec he listed either.

It's in stock at DSG Arms, brother, right now, as I type this...  8 bucks...

https://dsgarms.com/armea1095

Also, FWIW, Randy Luth makes solid products, and Primary Arms is a very, very good vendor.  Hell, I'd say they are a great vendor.  You will be okay.  Measure the buffer when you get it, and make sure it's 5.200"long, and not 5.900" long - you're good.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V