• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Peep Sight Lens Selection ?

I'm at work and will look at this closer when I get time. 

A basic point of info though, the numbers 0.25, 0.37, etc... are an inverse of distance in meters.  A "+" in front of the number means the lens focuses the image going through the lens like a magnifying glass or reading glasses.  A "-" in front of the number means the lens spreads out the image as it goes through.  These lenses are used to correct near-sighted people (can see up close but not far without glasses).

If you have your prescription, I can look at it and the info to see if I can make sense of it.  It will also depend on where your front sight is located since that is what you are wanting to get in better focus.

Thanks Doc, Loved the numbered options they lay out for selection, odds are I'll take the phone number to talk to a real person option! Haven't tracked down my latest prescription yet, put it where I wouldn't loose it so I know it isn't lost.......

If I read correctly on this topic then there is a chance that my prescription glasses combined with the correct size aperture may correct focus issues. Found I have a .060 and a .048 now. Then there is the front post selection process. Need to assess and decide just how far down the rabbit hole I wanna chase this thing, should have known that opinions, information, and miracle gadgets  would all be abundant on the subject of national match sights. Having @Armed Eye Doc around for subjects like this is the only way I could have separated numbers that matter from the minutia of salesmanship. :hail:

I don't think those peep sights will correct any vision issues - the smaller the rear peep you're looking through, the more it will focus your vision (attention) on what you need to focus on, which it the front sight post.  Basic Rifle Marksmanship comes into play - rear right is fuzzy, front sight post is in focus, target it slightly blurry/fuzzy. That's proper sight picture.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

JT,  you've probably solved your problem by now but I was fishing around for some iron sight options/discussion when I happened on this.   

For the last three years I've shot BPCR & BPTR with Montana Vintage Arms peeps and struggled with advanced glaucoma as well as plain old aging eyes.    You have to adjust windage and sometimes elevation between each shot so having a 2.5 magnification is necessary for me to even see my setting as I make adjustments.  Yet my glaucoma has got progressively worse and my front sight progressively less sharp, especially this year.   

I finally got a #1 magnifier at the top edge of my shooting eye lens to achieve the sight-picture 98 describes, and a 2.5 bifocal on the bottom left lens of my shooting glasses in order to read calibration on my staff for between-shot windage & elevation adjustments.

Not sure how that would work if you are already wearing corrective lenses but so far its working for me.   

Kelley.JPG