• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

im looking for a muzzle break for matte stainless 6.5 creedmoor with .875 muzzle

carverelli

I've finished my 6.5 creedmoor build on a matched aero precision receiver set. Heavy kreiger 22" matte stainless barrel. The barrel came threaded so now i'm looking for a muzzle break compensator with .875 diameter. Preferably same finish and diameter. ive looked in brownells and aero precision. most of them are .750.

can you fellas point me in the right direction. the muzzle break and a bolt disassembly tool to remove the ejector so I can check headspace with my go-no go gauges and I can start breaking in the barrel and making handloads for it.

Call Badger Ordnance, and see if they have something for you.  The issue you're going to run into will probably be threading.  Most .875" diameter brakes are for 3/4" x 24 threading, not the 5/8" x 24 that you need.

You try the VG6 Gamma 6.5 brake? 

The very definition of a brake - it's gonna be loud.  You might want to look into a compensator instead.  Or, and AAC Brakeout with the AAC Blastout mounted over it - that combination will redirect the concussion away from you, as the shooter, and still give you the benefit of the brake. 

I'm running a VG6 Gamma brake on a 6.5 Grendel, with the VG6 CAGE Device mounted to the brake.  It gives me the benefit of a brake, but the CAGE device is a "diffuser" of sorts, that disrupts that side blast from the brake.  I still wouldn't shoot it with no earpro, though.

Edited by 98Z5V

You could do a blended/seamless brake but that would require a gunsmith or someone with some lathe skills. Harrel's Precision makes 4 port brake that is already .875" diameter and threaded 5/8-24. But are you sure .875" is the diameter of the muzzle? Usually if a barrel has a gas block seat of .875" the diameter forward of the seat steps down a few thousands smaller all the way to the muzzle. The same can be said for barrels with gas block seats of .750" and .936" as well.

35 minutes ago, Merle said:

You could do a blended/seamless brake but that would require a gunsmith or someone with some lathe skills. Harrel's Precision makes 4 port brake that is already .875" diameter and threaded 5/8-24. But are you sure .875" is the diameter of the muzzle? Usually if a barrel has a gas block seat of .875" the diameter forward of the seat steps down a few thousands smaller all the way to the muzzle. The same can be said for barrels with gas block seats of .750" and .936" as well.

Yes the gas blocks. 936 and threaded muzzle is .875. Got the barrel from fulton armory already with the chamber cut in

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is what I put on the Grendel, and it would work on your 6.5 CM gun:

VG6-GAMMA-300BLK-CAGE-COMBO-1_71c1fbf7-5

It works good even though it's made for the 300 blackout? How does the sound compare to shooting without a muzzle break?

From your description it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm already over $2500 with my build ....what's another 200. Right?

6 hours ago, carverelli said:

what's another 200. Right?

Ill save you enough to buy some ammo.

https://www.armorally.com/shop/vg6-cage-muzzle-device-combo/

I know 98Z5V has that combo on his 6.5 Grendel.  I shot it in the fall and it shoots great.  I have that combo in the mail for my Grendel build.

7 hours ago, carverelli said:

It works good even though it's made for the 300 blackout? How does the sound compare to shooting without a muzzle break?

From your description it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm already over $2500 with my build ....what's another 200. Right?

It's 300BLK because it's a .30 cal device with 5/8 x 24 threads - that  is the same threading we have on the 6.5 guns - mine are .260 Remington and 6.5 Grendel.

The device works great - how is it compare to no muzzle device on there?  I have no idea- I haven't shot it with no muzzle device. 

Worrying about the sound is not a reason to get a brake, but the way you've been describing things in this thread makes me wonder if what you really want is a brake, at all.  Only you can answer that one.  Many, many times, using a brake on the end of your barrel makes it seem LOUDER to you, as the shooter.  That combo above doesn't cancel each other out, but it's pretty easy to shoot.  With just the brake, it felt louder, and the CAGE device does do a little bit for that, in terms of felt or perceived concussion. That 6.5 Grendel that it's on barely wiggles the crosshairs in the scope, when you fire.

The VG6 6.5 Gamma Brake is what's on my .260 Rem.  It's 0.860" O.D.  It's a 3-chamber brake, so that CAGE device would only cover the first two chambers on it - i.e., it mounts to it, but it's not made for it.  The CAGE is made specifically for the 2-chamber brakes.

VG6-GAMMA-65_All__10330.1504121749.JPG?c

Edited by 98Z5V

I see. Honestly, I was a bit surprised when the barrel came   threaded. Only rifle I shoot with a break is Win model 70 300 WM  and a boss.

Btw...I really appreciate the time you took to help me out.guys like make these boards worthwhile. 

Only problem with my build so far its gonna be a truck gun or target gun because its HEAVY

I'm already thinking about a ultralight 6mm creedmoor

7 hours ago, carverelli said:

I see. Honestly, I was a bit surprised when the barrel came   threaded. Only rifle I shoot with a break is Win model 70 300 WM  and a boss.

Btw...I really appreciate the time you took to help me out.guys like make these boards worthwhile. 

Only problem with my build so far its gonna be a truck gun or target gun because its HEAVY

I'm already thinking about a ultralight 6mm creedmoor

Now you are thinking I can tell you from first hand experience that every ounce you can shave off DO IT! I have been packing one of these for over 5 years now in elk country and every ounce helps I have been looking for another caliber to build and I think it will be 6.5 PRC and I am going to start with a DPMS gen 2 they are the lightest  and I am going to shave off every grain I can.... BTW I hunt with a suppressor you should look into it it will solve all of your muzzle brake issues and it is a joy to shoot....

with scope loaded mag and bipod you are talking 15 + lbs that barrel is your biggest negative you do not need more than 16 inches to hunt and shoot to 500 yards which I feel is about as far as a ethical shot should be no matter how good you are ....get a pencil barrel for hunting hell you will not fire more than 3 or 4 rds anyway....get a micro gas block a good 3 to 9 scope or 2 to 7 a 5 rd mag and I carry my suppressor on my belt and add it as needed when hunting shoot I68 Barnes TTSX and you can kill anything in North America and the gun will weigh about 8 and 1/2

Pic 1 358 yards

Pic 2 40 yards

pic 3  376 yards

pic 4  right at 400 yards

This Bitch gets it done nothing fancy but she is accurate and reliable1029120827.thumb.jpg.16ef013bd831108747d535aed6e9aa40.jpg

IMG_20171011_104231655 [1280x768].jpg

1031150956.jpg

1101110821.jpg

DSC03427.JPG