• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AK 47 question!

hey again guys! I have an Romanian Ak 47. it has a mako front rail kit and grip i installed my self ( <thumbsup>). about 4 days ago i looked straight down it. and then realized that from looking through the front sights the grip by the trigger and the back of the receiver are slightly crooked from the rest of the gun. My brother informed that the gun was like this from the day i bought it.. but IDK. I was wondering if any of you had any idea why it might do this? i have "bump" fired the gun multiple times. will this harm it? thanks :)

My neck hurts looking at that photo.

Stamped receivers,I assume ?

They can get tweaked out of shape , I suppose . You would have to set up some kind of reference , against the receiver to check alignment front to back , top to bottom.

I'm going to look at mine ,its a Romanian ,but in 5.56 & rifle stock though.

New one on me .

Ok like if u loom through the sights from from to back the pistol grip and the back of the receiver look crooked. Cuz i have to slightky turn the gun to look straight down the sights. It's hard to capture what I'm talking about... maybe the front sight is the problem. I shot yesterday no problem with accuracy I hit a basketball and sunny d jug at 50 yards fairly easy

Can't see the front sight in that photo, as a reference - maybe it's me, or the background, or something.  Try to get a pic or the profile there, with front and rear sights visible.  Something in daylight.  <dontknow>

I see what he's talking about. The barrel and sights are rotated a degree or two clockwise from the receiver. I'll check mine out tonight and see as I also have a Romanian.

Sometimes the stamped receivers aren't quite right. I bought a scope attachment for mine a while back and tried it out. The top rail part was pointing off to the left and wasn't even close to lining up over the barrel. Needless to say, that part was never installed. This rifle is only good for throwing lots of lead in a general direction in times of trouble, but I love to shoot it anyway.  <thumbsup>

Rear of the receiver looks bent to the right on the bottom .

It can be repaired ,but might take some doing & $$.

There is a welding jig , some where ,if I remember correctly, for AK's . Might help.

With out it being in my hand , its really no way to be sure .

I would disassemble the rifle & see if its out of square ( which it looks like ) .

What's the history of this rifle ?

Is it a build ?

Was it re barreled ?

You can blast an AK all day long & not hurt it ,of course they have ware items ,like any other mechanical device.

before you go putting all kinds of money into it, unless you have it, in which case share your secret, you already said it shoots well enough. I see what you're talking about, and while it would bother me some, as long as it shot i think i could live with it, unless you want it as a showpiece gun. this is just my opinion, and and certainly does not reflect the ideas of everybody. i have shot one ak, it was a friends chinese version with us palm parts, and it too had "character". i think there is lots of options for rails and optic adapters so if looking down the sights bothers you that may be an option, but as a plinker i say leave it, you'll never feel bad about bump firing it, running hard and throwing a patch through at the end of the day and not worrying about a new scratch or something like that.

Tell me if this makes sense. I don't own a Romainian but have owned others so hopfully this will apply to the Romanian as well. If you Field strip the gun, removing the dust cover , and bcg. I would also remove your Mako handguard just to get down to the factory riveted AK parts. Now, if you flip it over upside down, and lay the sheet metal receiver  across two pieces of anything you know to be the same thickness, resting on a surface you know to be flat (granite countertop?) now you should be able to take a small carpenters square and put it against the sides of the receiver and see if/how much the receiver is "racked" because both sides of the receiver should be perpendicular to the surface you are resting the gun on. If you find that the stamped receiver is in fact "square" the next thing you want to do is check the machined front and rear trunnions to see if they were installed squarely, If they look OK the next thing I would check would be that the barrel is in line with the axis of the receiver both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to do this by putting a ruler down the side of the receiver from front to back on both sides and seeing if the barrel is going off at an angle. as far as checking the barrel on the vertical plane, You just need to measure the distance from the bottom surface of the barrel to the counter top at the muzzle and receiver ends, this distance should also be the same taking any differences in the barrel dia into account. Now if that is OK You would next check to see if the barrel was installed off a few degrees radially. If you check these things, you ought to be able to ascertain if your problem is due to a gun that was damaged vs a gun that was improperly assembled, and then it will be easier for you to determine the best method to correct the problem, if you feel it's Worth the trouble to do it at all.

Does the stock center up when folded under..??that should indicate if rear trunion is aligned close or not... Measure sides of the receiver, if they're the same its out of square, if not, it was bent wrong..either way you'll have to remove trunion rivets..check carrier rails for parallel..realign trunion by elongating holes or weld and re drill in receiver ...rivet or screw back together...might be easy as putting in a vice and giving stock end a twist .if receiver is skeehawed a bit....or....could just say " @#$% it..it's only an AK "....everything is loosy goosy on them anyhow...if it cycles shoot it.