• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Day, Sunday 7 April 2019

98Z5V

Had a buddy from work ask me a few weeks ago if we could get back out there, so we set today up.  He brought his wife and two kids (awesome kids!), and I had one local referral from GP John - the guy just bought a .338 LM Ruger Precision Rifle, and the Athlon 6~24 Argos BTR scope.  I kinda know that scope by now. 

At any rate, we set up steel at 300, 500, 850 (842 today) and 1k (995 yards today).  Wind was only 2~5mph, variable, but the location of the 1k was in distance brush (brush between the target and shooting location).  Couldn't see any splash, no dirt kicked up, nothing.  I put a dozen rounds after it in the .260, and just couldn't make a mark on it.  Win some, lose some.  No one hit the 1k today.

Tore the 842 up pretty bad.  Zero's the scope on that RPR .338 LM at 100 for the owner, then he got on it.  Zero info for a dope chart for the gun, so we started guessing, and shooting at the 842 with it.  Drew it down with dirt splash - then corked it on the next to last round - centermass, right on the money, once we figured out it was 6.0 mils of drop to the 842.  Last round left - only one left - and I turn the gun over to the owner and tell him the drop - favor the right side of the target, due to the small wind.  He hands the round to my buddy's 13-yo girl, and gets her behind the gun...  Tells her, "here's the very last round today for this rifle.  Get down there, listen to Tom, and do what you need to do..."  She corked that thing about 3 inches away from my hit.  :hail::banana:

So, no target pics today, no throwdown range pic.  Just alot of fun.  However, I DO have some pics of today...

You ever seen a 4ft Dandelion grow a flower like THIS?!  This is just nuts. We had somuch rain this winter and spring, that we've got all kinds of weird shiit growing in the desert now...  This blew my mind, seeing this flower... on a dandelion plant... 

P1080027.thumb.JPG.c27c4cbaec1d393175597e70f86026bc.JPG

Next, I'm making the drive home, round a corner, and the buzzards FREAK and take off - I didn't even know they were around the corner before I dragged that bigass truck around it - and they took off.  I decided to turn around, and see why they were all there. They were in a wash, right beside the road.  I parked, climbed down into the wash... and it looked like rope.  Snakes...  They got at least 4 snakes down there, and they ripped them apart. From the last one I found, it looked like a red racer.  I found red racers out here in the desert eating young rattlesnakes before, too - I think I posted pics of that.   At any rate, I can't seem to understand how buzzards would get a bunch of snakes at the same time, in the exact same area. Boggles my mind.

The carnage:

P1080028.thumb.JPG.dea389a131d0ad40ff835cc495bc219d.JPG

P1080029.thumb.JPG.cc9061d086e10f90612d8cc882084c63.JPG

P1080030.thumb.JPG.d5d67a546d35240fc305cf7509a52e41.JPG

P1080031.thumb.JPG.89fa70cfe15dc7d9be3e00188ef54db4.JPG

Overall - badass day. We figured out that the RPR .338 LM is 6.0 mils of drop at the 850 (842 today).  That's the current reigning champ at "the least amount of drop on the 850" thus far...    I thought the .260 was THEEEE SHEEEIIIT with 6.5 mils on that same target. This particular .338 LM bested that number...    :hail: :thumbup:

Eff it - the steel is still in the truck, I didn't unload that heavy shiit today.  I had to go out there and get a pic of that 842 from today, showing those two .338 LM RPR hits.  My buddy's little girl can SHOOT!... 

1631114403_338RPRhits.thumb.jpg.df729c0c95a562732b1efc12dd8a3b58.jpg

16 hours ago, Magwa said:

It is awesome to get kids who really want to learn and then do stuff like this way to go Tom....

I told her - and she didn't understand how awesome this really is...  "You're 13 years old... you get to tell your friends that you just shot a .338 Lapua Magnum bolt action precision rifle, at a target 842 yards away - that's almost half a mile - with a mild wind...  and you HIT that target almost directly in the center...  Your friends might not understand that, unless they're playing "Call Of Duty" on their X-Box - but you did it, FOR REAL..."  

Her response was...  "That is SO COOL!..."  Damn right it is. :thumbup:   She's a Sniper  - she just doesn't realize that yet...  :hail::banana: